WRQZ406

You won’t get 50 watts out of the duplexer if the transceiver (UV82) only puts in 5 watts.  You’ll get 5 watts minus any insertion loss, which could be as much as half the power.

Added:

RG58 has a loss of 10.6 - 11.8 dB per 100 feet, or about 5 or 6 dB for the length you’re talking about.

One person commented that the Fumei duplexer had an insertion loss of 1.1 dB.  

The duplexer doesn’t add power; it just removes some as a natural consequence of filtering the transmission and the reception. The 50 watt figure is its limitation, not an expression of how much power it generates.

On the transmit side you can expect at least 6 dB loss.  The cuts your outgoing power by 75%, so what started out at the antenna of the UV82 as 5 watts, is the equivalent of 1.25 watts when it leaves the duplexer.

Edited by Sshannon
Added more information.

I guess the question is do you want a repeater that works or one that you can talk a mile from home with. That's the cost factor. All of my repeaters have at least $5000 into at minimum for hardline, antenna and repeater. All have 30-40 mile range. Can you do it cheaper yes but dont expect to talk all over with it. A good DB404 antenna will be $500 alone. Even my home GR500 (2 GM300 mobiles, rck and duplexer) was about $300 used. Thats a solid little repeater but then add the DB404 and 25' of 1/2" hardline, polyphasers and tripod mount on my roof and im well over $1500 and I can only get about 3 miles from home. Granted I'm not on a hill and the only reason for the one at home is to talk to my farm stuff. 

There is mild interest in setting up a GMRS repeater in Cookeville, I would get in touch with Cookeville Repeater Association and/or the TN Tech Amateur Radio Society who are both interested in setting up a GMRS repeater but have no clue as to the interest in the area, and don't really want to set something up to just sit there with no one talking on it. I'm a ham and interact with these groups alot, they're willing to be helpful if interest is shown.

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2022 at 5:47 PM, Ozo said:

I am in west Wilson county, not sure how that can help...

but let me know if I can be of any use.

Can you reach the Union 650 Tower in Union County? Look for it's information on this site. I know of a few others out that way too, some private and a couple open. WRNV967 WRNS340 are 2 of the ones I found, search for their settings, I forget where I found them, that site has a couple of others out that way too.

• 6 months later...

Hi all...total newb here...just got a set of radios and am also in the Putnam/White county area and was hoping to see some activity. I've noticed there's an Eagle1 tower at Tech, but the range seems to be very limited which is unfortunate. Will monitor this thread for future updates.