Jump to content

Repeater access requests.


jhshagg
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is there any way to update a request for access to a repeater which has unlisted tones? I've had requests to two large repeaters for about three months with no response. One I am not so much concerned about as that trip has passed. The other is in an area I find myself often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If no response from the owner what can you do, "Nothing".

Let it go and try again when you think you might need the permission again I would think.  Maybe they don't monitor that email address anymore or infrequently at best...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I am having the same problem with someone that has them all over my state, I am wondering since there is a donation button on the request page maybe that is the only way to get access, but I do not want to "donate" a ton of money and not get access to anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take the position that since they are using public spectrum, if they refuse to at least respond to a reasonable request for access, that the answer is "yes" until told otherwise. Then I politely make a request for more information about the repeater on the air.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have used several repeaters without 'permission' because the owners gave no way for anyone to request permission.  The worst that can happen is the repeater owner comes on the air and asks/tells you to stop using it.  This has happened to me only once.. The repeater owner was very upset, but he told me (yelled at me) to go away, and I did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your negative experience.

As you know, a I used to go war-driving around SoCal looking for both GMRS and Ham Repeaters and then keep a log for the input codes to see if I can hit them from home. I also decode Morse code IDs and research from there.

Most are receptive to my inquiries about "rules" for using their repeater and offers to "join."  A few literally never respond to my verbal requests for information, and so I lost interest with no one else to talk to. I note in my log "available" repeater pairs in these instances.

On a slightly different note: After driving to the top of Chatsworth Peak to hunt down the repeaters located there, I became aware of the Rocketdyne Santa Susanna Field Laboratory now owed by NASA and Boeing and after further research discovered the nuclear accident there back in the 50s.  This information was made more widespread by public interest groups and the Kardashians after the 2018 Woolsey Fire started there and potentially spread radioactive smoke

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I have used several repeaters without 'permission' because the owners gave no way for anyone to request permission.  The worst that can happen is the repeater owner comes on the air and asks/tells you to stop using it.  This has happened to me only once.. The repeater owner was very upset, but he told me (yelled at me) to go away, and I did.

I don't know if I would do that, first you tick the owner off and will never get "approved" and second by putting in the correct tone, you essentially broke into his system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, WRUS537 said:

I don't know if I would do that, first you tick the owner off and will never get "approved" and second by putting in the correct tone, you essentially broke into his system. 

You are over-thinking this: remember we do that when there exists no easy way to gain preapproval; so the owner's attitude is going to be whatever it was before we asked for permission.

And: let me see, once licensed, we all have the right to transmit on GMRS frequencies with or without tones.  Doing so politely to ask for permission to use a repeater, maybe be, in your opinion, breaking into his system.  But to me your conclusion is a bit over the top!

Then go back to your original suggestion: Roll the dice and donate!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

You are over-thinking this: remember we do that when there exists no easy way to gain preapproval; so the owner's attitude is going to be whatever it was before we asked for permission.

And: let me see, once licensed, we all have the right to transmit on GMRS frequencies with or without tones.  Doing so politely to ask for permission to use a repeater, maybe be, in your opinion, breaking into his system.  But to me your conclusion is a bit over the top!

Then go back to your original suggestion: Roll the dice and donate!

I hear you, I am new, I do not mind Paying to play, but donating and then waiting and hoping, nope not for me. I do like your idea, but I am wondering to if the owner then gets your name out there and no one talks with you then that would be bad also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WRUS537 said:

I don't know if I would do that, first you tick the owner off and will never get "approved" and second by putting in the correct tone, you essentially broke into his system. 

I don't care if you would do that or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WRUS537 said:

There is no reason to get nasty. I gave my opinion.

If you think that was nasty, you should see what I kept to myself. And although it is true that you have, and are entitled to your opinion, nobody asked to hear it.

...Just sayin...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I take the position that since they are using public spectrum, if they refuse to at least respond to a reasonable request for access, that the answer is "yes" until told otherwise. Then I politely make a request for more information about the repeater on the air.

I see nothing unreasonable about that, but I've come to find a lot of GMRS people believe that accessing someone's repeater is the equivalent to breaking into someone's car and driving it without permission.  Personally, I fail to see how that's equivalent to putting a device on public airwaves with a shared channel.  Suggesting that keying up to an unknown repeater, even just to see if it's there, is equivalent to car theft or home invasion, is much closer to those anti-piracy commercials that say "You wouldn't download a car, would you?"  Everyone made fun of those commercials because equating downloading digital files to car theft is hyperbolic.  I'm trying to understand why many operators seem that protective of their repeaters, and I really don't get it.  Yes, you can limit who uses your repeater.  Does that mean someone trying to reach you through your repeater is being malicious?  No, not necessarily.  If you put a repeater up, put no information about it on the net and don't transmit an automated message, then expect people to key up and ask what the deal is.  Whether one's repeater equipment "cost thousands" is no one's problem but the owner's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think he's worried because on the FCC website says "In transient use, a mobile station from one GMRS system may communicate through a mobile relay station (repeater) in another GMRS system with the permission of its licensee." but nothing is enforced, it's not a rule or regulation of Part 95 - Subpart E... It's just encouraged.

 

Sources:

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47/chapter-I/subchapter-D/part-95/subpart-E

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other issue with this site and many sites that list repeaters is lack of participation. At one point folks were telling others to list a repeater even when they never had anything on the air. Unless a repeater is up and available for use in my opinion it should not be on the site or require a annual update to keep on the site. Its been an issue for some time. For those that require access they should be replying to folks. Its been an issue for some time. None of my repeaters are any longer listed for part of this reason. Changes happen for everyone. So in the end the person who listed it may no longer have the email associated or it just goes to spam. 

As far as using others repeaters as others said try it and if someone is on the air ask if its open for use. Some don't care some do. Those that do have many options to limit use if they want to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gortex2 said:

The other issue with this site and many sites that list repeaters is lack of participation. At one point folks were telling others to list a repeater even when they never had anything on the air. Unless a repeater is up and available for use in my opinion it should not be on the site or require a annual update to keep on the site. Its been an issue for some time. For those that require access they should be replying to folks. Its been an issue for some time. None of my repeaters are any longer listed for part of this reason. Changes happen for everyone. So in the end the person who listed it may no longer have the email associated or it just goes to spam. 

As far as using others repeaters as others said try it and if someone is on the air ask if its open for use. Some don't care some do. Those that do have many options to limit use if they want to. 

I completely agree with this.  Plus maybe it would be good to allow users to mark a site as “non-responsive” if they don’t respond to requests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

I completely agree with this.  Plus maybe it would be good to allow users to mark a site as “non-responsive” if they don’t respond to requests.

+1 on this.   I requested access (on an open system) just to "follow the rules" on the repeater list, but I still use it since the owner hasn't logged in for 7 months now...  Good repeater too in the Orlando area, covers 30 miles and that's good for a place with no hills, only some tall buildings downtown.  Not sure where this repeater is located, but he must have some good elevation...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2022 at 10:15 AM, WRUS537 said:

I am having the same problem with someone that has them all over my state, I am wondering since there is a donation button on the request page maybe that is the only way to get access, but I do not want to "donate" a ton of money and not get access to anything.

 

I PM'd the owner of the Flashes 675 Repeater and he is open to an approval request from you!  He said he may just be delayed getting to it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

 

I PM'd the owner of the Flashes 675 Repeater and he is open to an approval request from you!  He said he may just be delayed getting to it.

I received approval from him, Thanks, It is the indy 600 one, he has many so he maybe busy like you say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UncleYoda said:

Is My Requests supposed to track requests I sent or just requests sent to me? (I don't have any of my own repeaters.)  I sent one but it isn't showing there.

It tracks both. I had to go and look, but here’s what you see when you open up “My Requests”

notice there’s a drop down for “My Sent Requests” and another one for “Repeater Access Requests.”

My Sent Requests had a record of requests I made, so it appears that it worked for me  DBA12991-BFEF-4DFB-9BFB-C9659A437DD5.thumb.png.84b430f6b89cb4f48a0a254fb624d887.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.