Repeater on handheld channel 15

Guest James

BLUF: is it possible to pick up a repeater channel on channel 15 from a bubble pack?

I heard WRUK776 the other night that it was his repeater... he did say it was open for public use. At this time no official license... and surprised he heard me at 7 miles out from a handheld. 

I bought some midland handheld gxt's after that snowmagedon we had here in San Antonio... I have seen several notarubicon YouTubes and he explained it that the repeater channels are separate from the standard channels. Can someone help explain that?

I am very much considering a midland 275 for a mobile unit after I get the license.

Thanks all

32 minutes ago, Guest James said:

BLUF: is it possible to pick up a repeater channel on channel 15 from a bubble pack?

I heard WRUK776 the other night that it was his repeater... he did say it was open for public use. At this time no official license... and surprised he heard me at 7 miles out from a handheld. 

I bought some midland handheld gxt's after that snowmagedon we had here in San Antonio... I have seen several notarubicon YouTubes and he explained it that the repeater channels are separate from the standard channels. Can someone help explain that?

I am very much considering a midland 275 for a mobile unit after I get the license.

Thanks all

Transmitting to a repeater is done at a special range of frequencies. Those channels are sometimes referred to as 15rp, 16rp, … up to 22rp. While the repeater is receiving on those channels it’s transmitting whatever it receives on the regular channels 15-22, which are each exactly 5 MHz lower than the corresponding RP channels. 

14 hours ago, Guest James said:

Do some research online and here about your radio choices.

I am not sure that Midland is the best choice, but you have to determine that for your needs.

14 hours ago, Guest I applied for license said:

How long does it take to get your call sign  after paying fee. Is it possible to just listen to Ogloby, TX tower. In the Killeen Area

Pretty sure the license only takes a day or two after paying the fee.  If you just want to listen, maybe start with a $22 UV-5R, until you have a handle on your needs a bit better.

25 minutes ago, Over2U said:

The Midland 275 is about as close to a ‘plug-n-play’ mobile GMRS as there is.

I have to agree with this guy:

Midland 275 vs. Radioddity DB20-G

But another guy says that 99% of GMRS simplex use is narrowband  

And he proves his premise by setting his repeater to narrowband as well!?! ?

On 9/25/2022 at 11:01 PM, Guest James said:

I will second MichaelLAX to rather save $65 and get Anytone 779-UV (aka Retevis RA-25 or Radioddity DB-20G) which are programable via software and are not locked to narrow band like Midland 275.

I received AnyTone AT-779UV yesterday that I bought on Amazon for $101. I programmed it via OEM software and installed today in my car. And I FELL IN LOVE with this radio.

I can listen to HAM repeaters, I can listen to weather channel. It's just very cute little radio.

8 hours ago, MozartMan said:

I will second MichaelLAX to rather save $65 and get Anytone 779-UV (aka Retevis RA-25 or Radioddity DB-20G) which are programable via software and are not locked to narrow band like Midland 275.

I received Anytone 779-UV yesterday that I bought on Amazon for $101. I programmed it via OEM software and installed today in my car. And I FELL IN LOVE with this radio.

I can listen to HAM repeaters, I can listen to weather channel. It's just very cute little radio.

It's hands down win over a mxt115. The only thing it can't quite match the 275 on is the remote head form factor (though btech has something similar there).

I liked the anytone enough to buy 2.

28 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Which Firmware version is installed? (power off, hold down V/M, power on)

I have V2.28. I downloaded AT779_UV_500_v2_29_3_VOX 2021_4_14.ZIP file with 2.29 firmware from some website, but I need to watch video that came with it before I decide to upgrade.

7 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I am still using v2.26 on mine so let me know what advantages come from the upgrade.

Will do if I decide to do it.

Now, question for you Michael. What is the difference between UHF(400 - 490 MHz) VHF(136 - 174 MHz) and UHF(400 - 470 MHz) VHF(136 - 174 MHz) when choosing model?

And which one should I choose to be law abiding citizen?

If your Anytone was purchased in the US, it should be set to MODE: GMRS and with its default codeplug (be sure to download and keep a copy of this default codeplug) you have a Part 95(e) certified GMRS radio.

Using MODE: (136-174) (400-470) will open your radio up to transmit on Ham bands 2 meters and 70 cms and even MURS, although I believe our lowest power setting "L" will still exceed the maximum power specification for MURS.

I don't really have much experience with the other settings offered.

Again, be sure to have a copy of your codeplug before changing these MODEs because I think once you do change mode, it erases the previous codeplug in favor of starting a new one for the newly selected MODE.

Somewhere here on this forum I have recommended programming code plugs with blank lines in between segmented blocks of channels to allow for easy future growth.

UPDATE: Here is the link to my proposal for CPS programming.

FWIW, my AT-779UV arrived with version 2.26 firmware.  I still have the .zip file containing the 2.30 firmware and the associated .rar file containing the programs used to update your radio.  I believe that 2.30 fixed most everything that NotARubicon mentioned in his video review.

-Rusty-

10 minutes ago, fe2o3 said:

I believe that 2.30 fixed most everything that NotARubicon mentioned in his video review.

-Rusty-

Rusty,

Do you have link to that video or list of items fixed in 2.30 firmware?

I searched Randy's (NotARubicon) YT channel and couldn't find AT-779UV review, just Radioddity DB20-G review.

23 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Using MODE: (136-174) (400-470) will open your radio up to transmit on Ham bands 2 meters and 70 cms and even MURS, although I believe our lowest power setting "L" will still exceed the maximum power specification for MURS.

It will... MURS is 2W max output (at least it doesn't state 2W ERP ? )

23 hours ago, MozartMan said:

Now, question for you Michael. What is the difference between UHF(400 - 490 MHz) VHF(136 - 174 MHz) and UHF(400 - 470 MHz) VHF(136 - 174 MHz) when choosing model?

And which one should I choose to be law abiding citizen?

In the US, 470-512 is shared between Land Mobile, Fixed, and UHF TV 14-20 (frequencies, not what you see on a modern TV -- ATSC can broadcast on a frequency but the channel ID is embedded in the signal; during the NTSC->ATSC transition stations were sending standard definition on their original channel/frequency, but sent high definition on some other frequency, yet identified by the original channel).

If you mean FCC regulations -- the only mode that meets FCC Part 95 E is the one labeled "GMRS".

2 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

the only mode that meets FCC Part 95 E is the one labeled "GMRS".

1 minute ago, MichaelLAX said:

He is inquiring about the various MODES offered to the user once the DB-20G has been "opened" beyond GMRS.

The answer is still the same. 

6 hours ago, MozartMan said:

Rusty,

Do you have link to that video or list of items fixed in 2.30 firmware?

I searched Randy's (NotARubicon) YT channel and couldn't find AT-779UV review, just Radioddity DB20-G review.

No list for what was s'posedly fixed.
DB20-G is the same as AT-779UV.