GMRS in NYC.

Luish19779

I have 1 year in the GMRS world here in the south side of the Bronx. I spend some good dollar on equipment etc. but NO ONE TALK. The only one I copy is the Long Island, and all those repeater have to pay, but they not want anyone from the Bronx to join. Why, I think I know. On Simplex , Sometimes I found 1. I got CB and is the same.In Brooklyn have a OPEN repeater(good one) I hit it, but One used. The only good traffic are in the Private repeater, but they want keep like that…Let see what happens. 
Happy New Year ? 

What radio are you using?

I knew this is a somewhat controversial suggestion, but if you study for the relatively easy Technician Ham Radio exam and get licensed, you will discover so many more Repeater options open to you (as well as even Simplex communications, especially on 2 meters).

@Luish19779, unfortunately GMRS is not a rag-chew service.  Many refer to it as a BYOC radio service (Bring Your Own Contacts).  Meaning, you and a specific person or group of people are looking for a common radio service so your group can specifically talk.  This is why its so popular with groups that do family emergency communications, offroading and outdoors type of entertainment, road trips involving multiple vehicles, etc.

As Michael (@MichaelLAX) mentions, Ham radio is most likely a much better bet for you.  I am in NYC 6 to 8 times a year and there are a bunch of repeaters in NY, CT, NJ and PA that I can reach, depending on where I am in and around the city.  I have really good luck around Bronx Zoo and little Italy, up to around Yonkers Raceway.  There are some amateur repeaters on the mountains nearby and the stuff south and west are at lower elevations or you get some clear LOS due to the river.  Something to think about, if you are just looking for strangers to chat with and to make new friends.  GMRS really isn't the best choice for that, though.

• 1 year later...