Hams on GMRS

gortex2

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

They don’t know or care about the regulations and they’re not hurting anyone.

When you're using a of watts maybe not but GMRS can run up to 50 watts. That can cause a lot of problems.

I don't know how many times I read the same comment. People don't understand the reason why a license is required and the use of call signs. When you're using a couple of watts maybe not 

The license is for getting a unique FCC assigned call sign that's in a public database that anybody can search. It has contact information in it whether it's a home address, or for the more privacy orientated people, a PO box.

In either case for any issue that a radio operation causes there is a way to contact the responsible person to notify them of the problem. That's assuming the operator isn't deliberately being an A-hole. Transmitters can fail and generate garbage on the air, frequency drift, signal cutting out etc. The call sign at least provide some measure of knowing exactly who is the source of the issue and can fix it. The operator may not even be aware there is a problem. 

47 minutes ago, Lscott said:

When you're using a of watts maybe not but GMRS can run up to 50 watts. That can cause a lot of problems.

I don't know how many times I read the same comment. People don't understand the reason why a license is required and the use of call signs. When you're using a couple of watts maybe not 

The license is for getting a unique FCC assigned call sign that's in a public database that anybody can search. It has contact information in it whether it's a home address, or for the more privacy orientated people, a PO box.

In either case for any issue that a radio operation causes there is a way to contact the responsible person to notify them of the problem. That's assuming the operator isn't deliberately being an A-hole. Transmitters can fail and generate garbage on the air, frequency drift, signal cutting out etc. The call sign at least provide some measure of knowing exactly who is the source of the issue and can fix it. The operator may not even be aware there is a problem. 

You kind of missed the whole point…

45 minutes ago, Lscott said:

Maybe I did.

I didn’t make it very clearly.

My point is that 90% of the GMRS users with whom I’m personally acquainted use it simply as a communications medium when they’re many miles away from civilization.  They don’t know about or care about repeaters; they’re using simplex in the 462 MHz frequencies. They use it because cell phones don’t work where they’re recreating. For them it’s not a hobby or a vocation.  It’s simply a tool that enhances, and in some ways enables, the enjoyment of their hobbies.

For most of them the Garmin Rino is the only GMRS radio they’ve ever owned.  They chose GMRS strictly because of the ability to see where the others are and to mark locations to share with each other.

I cannot disagree with you about why we should be licensed, but the fact is that most outdoor recreational GMRS users never will unless they get deeper into it like those of us on this forum.

We on this forum are not an example of the average outdoor recreation user of GMRS and probably never will be.

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

I didn’t make it very clearly.

My point is that 90% of the GMRS users with whom I’m personally acquainted use it simply as a communications medium when they’re many miles away from civilization.  They don’t know about or care about repeaters; they’re using simplex in the 462 MHz frequencies. They use it because cell phones don’t work where they’re recreating. For them it’s not a hobby or a vocation.  It’s simply a tool that enhances, and in some ways enables, the enjoyment of their hobbies.

For most of them the Garmin Rino is the only GMRS radio they’ve ever owned.  They chose GMRS strictly because of the ability to see where the others are and to mark locations to share with each other.

I cannot disagree with you about why we should be licensed, but the fact is that most outdoor recreational GMRS users never will unless they get deeper into it like those of us on this forum.

We on this forum are not an example of the average outdoor recreation user of GMRS and probably never will be.

If that's the case, just ignore the license requirement, then why would anybody bother? Lets all just say screw the FCC we don't need to get a license. No license there is no accountability.

1 minute ago, Lscott said:

If that's the case, just ignore the license requirement, then why would anybody bother? Lets all just say screw the FCC we don't need to get a license. No license there is no accountability.

Now you’ve got it. Most people do ignore the license requirement and GMRS accountability is a myth that even the FCC disregards the unless someone does something really bad. 

2 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Now you’ve got it. Most people do ignore the license requirement and GMRS accountability is a myth that even the FCC disregards the unless someone does something really bad. 

As I stated before the license requirement is there for contact purposes, not just simply used as a club by the FCC to wield their power over the masses.

Of course If somebody is really messing up without the call sign who do you tell the FCC is causing a problem?

It's the same logic why you're required to have a Ham call sign, license plate on your vehicle, registration number on boats and aircraft and so on. 

10 minutes ago, Lscott said:

As I stated before the license requirement is there for contact purposes, not just simply used as a club by the FCC to wield their power over the masses.

Of course If somebody is really messing up without the call sign who do you tell the FCC is causing a problem?

It's the same logic why you're required to have a Ham call sign, license plate on your vehicle, registration number on boats and aircraft and so on. 

I’m not arguing against your logic or your ideals.  I’m just pointing out the reality of the situation.  Most people don’t get licensed for GMRS and for the most part their activities don’t affect those who do. 

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

BINGO! Now you're getting it.

There is this great movie my kids love it is called Frozen, and in that movie is a wonderful song called "Let it go". Go watch it you will love it.

8 hours ago, WRTT642 said:

"Let it go". Go watch it you will love it

I'm curious, why people who do not care, still come and comment here. Why? The people who had let it go already, why to to bother? What is that that deep under your conscience that makes you come and participate, WRTT642?

This is a serious question.

37 minutes ago, axorlov said:

I'm curious, why people who do not care, still come and comment here. Why? The people who had let it go already, why to to bother? What is that that deep under your conscience that makes you come and participate, WRTT642?

This is a serious question.

Not entirely sure I understand your question. I don't want to assume what you mean by it, so if you can maybe reword your question I will be more than happy to converse with you.

1 hour ago, WRTT642 said:

Not entirely sure I understand your question.

My question is simple:

Taking context in account (discussion about rules, and you citing silly song from a silly movie for silly girls), why you, or anybody who has no respect for rules, comment on discussion about the rules? If you do not care, why are you bothered that much to comment?

I'm genuinely interested. I'm working on my PhD thesis on psychology.

7 minutes ago, axorlov said:

My question is simple:

Taking context in account (discussion about rules, and you citing silly song from a silly movie for silly girls), why you, or anybody who has no respect for rules, comment on discussion about the rules? If you do not care, why are you bothered that much to comment?

I'm genuinely interested. I'm working on my PhD thesis on psychology.

Presumptuous of you to make such a comment about my respect of rules. Seeing that I have received both my GMRS license and my amateur radio technician license before ever transmitting over any of those radios respective to their use. As well as making mention on numerous occasions of myself informing others that they should have a license before transmitting on said radios. 

My initial comment was about my experience with GMRS and now amateur radio. I saw that many others have given their own stories and experience with radios, so I felt that it would be ok for me to put in my own story and experience. I do come on here to be apart of a community of individuals who hold the same interest. Is that not ok with you? Or do you want only those who agree with you to comment on here? Is it not ok with you to disagree on certain subjects? I will say this again as clearly as I possibly can.

Should you have a license to transmit on GMRS and amateur radio? Yes.

Do I agree with that? No.

Do I have a valid GMRS and amateur radio license? Yes, WRTT642 & KL5LD.

Am I going to tell people that you should have a license to transmit on GMRS and amateur radio? Yes.

Will I berate or harass or report or degrade or ignore or dismiss or harm or hurt or threaten anybody who chooses to use these radios without a license? ABSOLUTLEY NOT.

Will I encourage and uplift and strengthen and cultivate and teach every person I know everything I know about radios regardless of their license statues? ABSOLUTEY YES.

So, I hope this clears up this issue and if I see anybody talk about this subject on this forum on this website, which I do pay money for the premium service, then I will continue to respectfully give my two cents on the matter. It is that simple. If you want to block me, then go right on ahead I don't mind, that is your choice, but I will not block you. If you want to try to get me banned from this forum, then please by all means go ahead and do so if you think I am such a nuisance to disagree with you or others on this subject. If I get banned then fine, I would rather not have that happen because I do enjoy very much coming on here and meeting new people and having these conversations and to continue to keep up on the club I made for my state, but so be it. But do not think for one second that I will just bow to you or anybody else when it comes to this subject and fall in line because I will not. Let us agree to disagree. 

BTW, Frozen is not a silly movie nor is the song Let It Go. It is an amazing movie and song that my daughters adore as do I and my son and my wife and quite literally tens of thousands if not millions of other people. What I find interesting is that you would say my daughters are silly little girls whom you don't even know then again to presume that this movie and song is only for silly little girls. Not very progressive of you and to be quite honest is a very rude and disrespectful statement to make on the gender role stereotypes of these type of movies and your gender inequality language. Please be a little more respectful next time. Thank you and good luck to you on your thesis.

13 hours ago, Sshannon said:

I’m not arguing against your logic or your ideals.  I’m just pointing out the reality of the situation.  Most people don’t get licensed for GMRS and for the most part their activities don’t affect those who do. 

100% accurate. I've been on multiple Jeep Jamboree's and I can say most don't know they need a license, nor care. The radio comes out of the box and works.  

i found it interesting yesterday when i was in a conversation with someone and the conversation was somewhat political about the recent classified document scandals.   A person whom i know to be a Ham suddenly pings in and tells us  the radio waves is not the place to discuss politics..  Well,,  I guess this Ham forgot about freedom of speech and the fact that there are basically no GMRS equitecy  rules you commonly find on Ham bands,.   We didn't budge and continued on with conversation only to listen to an idiot trying to 'Jam' the repeater..   Hmmmm,,  I wonder if this malicious 'jammer' was the Hammer.      Pretty sure it was -  LMAO  

It's very common to hear political banter on our ham repeaters, and the problem is that as soon as it happens, jammers come out of the woodwork. We have one who plays endless Trump recordings, and some who simply key down when politics comes up. We often avoid politics  simply to avoid being jammed. It's a harsh reality when someone interferes with our freedom of speech, but anyone with a $20 Baofeng can cause no end of mayhem. 

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

It's very common to hear political banter on our ham repeaters, and the problem is that as soon as it happens, jammers come out of the woodwork. We have one who plays endless Trump recordings, and some who simply key down when politics comes up. We often avoid politics  simply to avoid being jammed. It's a harsh reality when someone interferes with our freedom of speech, but anyone with a $20 Baofeng can cause no end of mayhem. 

It’s a violation of part 97 requirements to interfere with transmissions of another, so the jammers are in the wrong. Nothing else that I say should be interpreted as justification for their actions.

Freedom of speech is limited with ham radio. There are authorized transmissions (97.111), prohibited transmissions (97.113) and there are rules set by the repeater owners/control operators.

Many repeater owners/operators/clubs prohibit political discussions.  That’s their right.

Each repeater has a single channel and it’s the only channel available to anyone using that repeater (some digital repeaters might have two channels). Monopolizing that one channel to discuss politics could be seen as inconsiderate by other users; political discussions force everyone waiting for the repeater to listen to political views which could be very divisive. Rag chewing on simplex channels is another matter.  

But it’s still a violation of part 97 requirements to interfere with transmissions of another, so the jammers are in the wrong, regardless of their motives.

Our repeater group strongly discourages politics on the repeater, but we have our own people who can't help themselves. Personally I don't like discussing politics with anyone anywhere because it's divisive and depressing. But yes, the jammers are in the wrong. Catching and prosecuting them is a whole different story.

59 minutes ago, Lscott said:

This topic came up a while back on the wide area GMRS repeater I used during a net chat. Most people didn't mind so long as any discussion remained "civil". That sort of surprised the net control operator/repeater owner.

I bet it did.  Some discussions are just lightning rods for uncivil behavior.  It’s really a shame, too, because our civilization needs civil discussions of politics.

8 minutes ago, axorlov said:

Thanks for the answer, although two last paragraphs are way off the mark. But anyway, you answered.

Alex,

I think you read way too much into his previous posts. He wasn’t arguing against licensing. I felt that he was pointing out the same thing I was: that only a small minority of GMRS users get licensed and that it’s a waste of time and energy to lose sleep over it, I.e. Let it Go. It was a comment on the status quo, not a post advocating anarchy. 
And I like Frozen as well, and the song. Watching my grandkids enjoy it and sing the song is great. ?

Happy New Year, my friend!

Steve

40 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Alex,

I think you read way too much into his previous posts. He wasn’t arguing against licensing. I felt that he was pointing out the same thing I was: that only a small minority of GMRS users get licensed and that it’s a waste of time and energy to lose sleep over it, I.e. Let it Go. It was a comment on the status quo, not a post advocating anarchy. 
And I like Frozen as well, and the song. Watching my grandkids enjoy it and sing the song is great. ?

Happy New Year, my friend!

Steve

100% correct!