Weather Sealing Type-N and PL-259 Connections

Wrvq441

Question

7 answers to this question

I usually do a single wrap of electrical tape over the exposed threads to keep them clean, wrap the whole thing in linerless splicing tape (3M 130), then wrap that with electrical tape (3M Super 33). I'll wrap from bottom to top in exterior connections - same way you'd shingle a roof, for the same reasons. Have never had an issue with it - Type N connectors are better than PL259 not just for loss, but they're technically weatherproof as well (although I wouldn't trust them by themselves).

Edited by JeepCrawler98

1 minute ago, JeepCrawler98 said:

I usually do a single wrap of electrical tape over the exposed threads to keep them clean, wrap the whole thing in linerless splicing tape (3M 130), then wrap that with electrical tape (3M Super 33). I'll wrap bottom to top in exterior connections - same way you'd shingle a roof.

This is the way

Just a thought coming from a catv/broadband feedline environment, we use a glue lined thermal shrink tube and apply with a torch. I have repaired moisture damaged passives that were "weatherproofed" years ago with self fusing splicing tape. Often we would have to cut a foot or more of water damaged cable. I understand my environment is somewhat different. Those of you with "radio shop" experience, what's your thoughts?