Btech GMRS 50v2

WRUE915

Anyone get their hands on this one yet? Looks like MyGMRS is the only distributor that I could find. It's not even on Btech's website.

Curious if it's improved from the 50v1 other than allowing for more channels. Thanks.

https://shop.mygmrs.com/products/btech-gmrs-50v2-50w-gmrs-radio

Edit: Just realized I posted this in the review channel. I am searching for a review as this is not that. Mods please move if required.

11 minutes ago, jbkalla said:

I'd be curious to see how the receive/scanning goes compared to a radio with a superheterodyne receiver, like the Wouxun KG-1000Gx

I’m with you on this. I do like the price point and it looks like you can add as many extra repeater channels as you like which is a plus. 

I wish you the best of luck, but it's a solid pass for me.  I bought the V1 when it was released and did a review of it.  I loved some of it and hated some of it.  In the end, I didn't recommend it.

After looking at the v2, it looks like the same radio with a new part number.  Plus, I am not sure how much I trust a radio when the manufacturer had to put the following 2 items in the "Getting Started" section of the manual... I mean, they catch fire so often that how to avoid it and how to deal with it when it happens is in the manual?  Not a confidence builder, to say the least.

If the unit emits smoke or an odor, you should immediately cut off the power supply. Then send the radio to the nearest service center or dealer.

Do not operate the mobile transceiver on high power unless it is necessary...

7 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I wish you the best of luck, but it's a solid pass for me.  I bought the V1 when it was released and did a review of it.  I loved some of it and hated some of it.  In the end, I didn't recommend it.

After looking at the v2, it looks like the same radio with a new part number. 

I'll give Btech credit for addressing one of the biggest usage complaints (ability to add additional tx channels), and it looks like they've introduced a few new features and accessories, like an adapter to use accessories with the k1 plug.

That said, on the surface, it appears to be all firmware tweaks, without addressing those hardware shortcomings. I hope I'm wrong on that, and like Marc, wish buyers the best of luck. That warning about not using high power unless necessary would seem to point to not, though....more of a band-aid to get around the issues with the first version.

In all fairness, just about every 'Getting Started' or 'Attention' section of most radio manuals contain the same verbiage about smoke/odor, etc.

We will see. I just ordered one. The price is right for a 50W unit.

It does state that the board has been redesigned, I presume that is a good thing.

• [UPGRADED] The GMRS-50V2 is major upgrade from the previous generation GMRS-50X1. New features include a full redesigned radio board. All 256 channels are fully customizable, the ability to add or remove GMRS or NOAA channels quickly. PCB updates on the GMRS-50V2 include RJ45 audio output, improved audio filtering, constant 50W power output on GMRS

We'll have to see how the @OffRoaderXreview goes once he gets his hands on one (if he doesn't already have one).

3 hours ago, marcspaz said:

After looking at the v2, it looks like the same radio with a new part number.  Plus, I am not sure how much I trust a radio when the manufacturer had to put the following 2 items in the "Getting Started" section of the manual... I mean, they catch fire so often that how to avoid it and how to deal with it when it happens is in the manual?  Not a confidence builder, to say the least.

If the unit emits smoke or an odor, you should immediately cut off the power supply. Then send the radio to the nearest service center or dealer.

Do not operate the mobile transceiver on high power unless it is necessary...

In fairness, I think the second statment regarding power is a bad translation of " An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications."

The fire... well... ?‍?

2 minutes ago, PRadio said:

In fairness, I think the second statment regarding power is a bad translation of " An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications."

The fire... well... ?‍?

You may be correct on that. With the two together though, it's...worrying. ?‍♂️

51 minutes ago, PRadio said:

The fire... well... ?‍?

I agree, its a possibility.  I didn't really think about that.  It is a good practice to follow.

32 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

I heard a rumor that a major GMRS YouTube Hobo will be doing a review of the 50V2 next week.

I am looking forward to this!  Even if it doesn't make the video, any chance you will put it on the Tiny SA and see how the signal looks? 

I'm curious, because a lot of people trash BTech / Baofeng radios, but most of the units I put on the scope are cleaner than any of my UHF ham radios at 2x to 4x the price.  It's good to know if the build quality is there in a more affordable radio.  Especially if someone is on a budget and trying to make good choices for the money they have.

5 minutes ago, WRPL700 said:

I guess I will wait to order (or not) until the review.......

Randy is a straight shooter.  If its good, he will let you know.  One of the things I like about his videos is, when it comes to the gear, he just tells you how it is.  He doesn't play favorites or fluff a product for a vendor because they sent him gear. 

35 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

Randy is a straight shooter.  If its good, he will let you know.  One of the things I like about his videos is, when it comes to the gear, he just tells you how it is.  He doesn't play favorites or fluff a product for a vendor because they sent him gear. 

This ^^^ plus, since he's already got a good feel for the 50X1 unit, he should be able to give a good synopsis of the 50V2 differences, good or bad.

If he has a 50x1 it would be great to pop them both open to see if the "radio board" has been modified in the 50v2 like their website states it has:  "[UPGRADED] The GMRS-50V2 is major upgrade from the previous generation GMRS-50X1. New features include a full redesigned radio board."

2 hours ago, WRPL700 said:

If he has a 50x1 it would be great to pop them both open to see if the "radio board" has been modified in the 50v2 like their website states it has:  "[UPGRADED] The GMRS-50V2 is major upgrade from the previous generation GMRS-50X1. New features include a full redesigned radio board."

I can save him the trouble.

Since I'm not a circuit expert (I think many 'Sad HAMs are though), I can't tell you what might be different regarding the radio board.

BTECH GMRS 50V2 vs. BTECH GMRS 50X1.pdf

Assuming the photos are a true representation of V1 and V2, that is not a "full redesigned radio board".  2 parts worth about $0.23 and 2 solder jumpers on the same board (RDA2300 UHF v1.5, dated 2021/10/13).

1 additional capacitor, 1 added resistor, 2 solder jumps.

2 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

Assuming the photos are a true representation of V1 and V2, that is not a "full redesigned radio board".  2 parts worth about $0.23 and 2 solder jumpers on the same board (RDA2300 UHF v1.5, dated 2021/10/13).

I pulled those photos off the device reports (pulled from the interwebs) that went to the FCC for approval.

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

I agree it doesn't look like a "full redesigned radio board" but I see a lot more changes than that.

On the front side of the board, there are a couple areas with multiple new surface-mount components to the right of and below the "2226" on the new board.  I'm not too impressed with the big solder "blob" to the left of "2226" though!

On the back, it is interesting that the original board is missing the RF shield (but maybe it was removed for the photo).  There is also an IC on the old board that has been removed on the new one.  Actually the third photo shows another IC that has been removed.