Southeastern, Virginia

rjyokum

Morning all.....  This will be somewhat multi-topic and I've posted before some time ago about the same.

First of all, I am very interested if anyone would be interested in starting a club in the south east portion of Virginia.  We have a club in northern and south west Virginia but nothing here in the south east AKA Hampton Roads area.  I am a member of a few repeaters in the area.  If anyone would like to consider starting something like this, please reach out.

Secondly, I'm very interested in setting up a repeater to increase the options here nearby.  In Yorktown, VA, we do have a repeater that covers a portion of the lower county area but I'm much closer to the Yorktown proper area not within reach of the Tabb repeater.  I'm not really a "radio" guy and do understand many basics but expertise isn't in my wheelhouse.  Nevertheless, I would like to look in to doing something like this if there's anyone that would like to help.           

Thanks in advance.....

Finding a good location in that area for a repeater will be your issue. None of the public safety towers will allow it, so its either pay american tower or one of the large tower companies or find a tall building and get something up there. Both will require lots of leg work and most likely funding. Then a good repeater will be required. Im in SW VA and I have a repeater on my house and get about 4-5 miles from the house. Then there is nothing for miles. 

• 4 months later...

Sorry to grave dig an old post, but if anyone is still here...

I live on the bay in Buckroe, so VERY flat. I hear people traveling on the tunnel occasionally, and a few that seem to use it for work, other than that...nothing. I'll just keep my radio for emergencies.

The highest point here is the beach pavillion (maybe 20ft above sea level lol). I can sometimes hear Norfolk chatter. I'd put up a repeater but not seeing the point if there's no place to put it up high. 

I'd still be interested in a club, but interest around here is quite low.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who live in the Tidewater / Hampton Roads area of Virginia. A few of us have started communicating over the Tabb / Hampton Repeater and I have created a private Facebook Group called "South Eastern Virginia GMRS". If you have Facebook feel free to join the group and hopefully we will catch you on the air in Hampton Roads.

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/214198111758035

Chesapeake Va (South) Repeater: https://mygmrs.com/repeater/8199

Thanks,

Van / WRZI840