2m / 70cm Dual band antenna suggestions

Really kinda tough like Marc says.

Mainly because 1/2 wave 2m ⁵/8 over ⁵/8 uhf is going to be about 31".

Really, any 1/4 wave 2m , 3/4 70cm antenna will work. ³/4 wave is just terrible from my real world testing but mostly on the transmit side, it received well. So any of the company's that build it will work equally (about) as well. Tram browning larsen etc. They are all going to about 18-20 inches.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the responses.  The ground plane will not be an issue, since it would be on my vehicle roof.  However, I am moving in about a month, which means I lose my enclosed garage, so I think I will wait since height will no longer be an issue at that point.  I'll also decide if I prefer VHF or UHF to make things easier ?

Thank you for the responses.  The ground plane will not be an issue, since it would be on my vehicle roof.  However, I am moving in about a month, which means I lose my enclosed garage, so I think I will wait since height will no longer be an issue at that point.  I'll also decide if I prefer VHF or UHF to make things easier 
If you can run a 1/2, 5/8 over 5/8. You can get both bands nicely. 31" sounds like a lot but if it is a flexible type then it won't matter.

Can't tell you how much abuse my larsen 2/70b took when it was on the roof of my suburban. Most parking garaged by me are 6' to max 7' clearances.

Now try to add gmrs into the antenna mix. Slim pickings and most are incredibly stiff to get the coverage from 2m-70cm-gmrs. They end up being chunky inflexible antennas with barely acceptable performance.

Nowadays I try to avoid tri-band antennas. They sacrifice too much, especially in performance.

4 minutes ago, kidphc said:

If you can run a 1/2, 5/8 over 5/8. You can get both bands nicely. 31" sounds like a lot but if it is a flexible type then it won't matter.

I'm sure I'll end up with something like this.  I'm not too concerned about GMRS, mainly because where I am moving (Wyoming) there are barely any GMRS repeaters in the whole state (I think three, and only one is open?).

36 minutes ago, kidphc said:

Can't tell you how much abuse my larsen 2/70b took when it was on the roof of my suburban. Most parking garaged by me are 6' to max 7' clearances.

Now try to add gmrs into the antenna mix. Slim pickings and most are incredibly stiff to get the coverage from 2m-70cm-gmrs. They end up being chunky inflexible antennas with barely acceptable performance.

Nowadays I try to avoid tri-band antennas. They sacrifice too much, especially in performance.

Agreed. My truck is 6'5" to the roof, add the 2/70B spring, and I'm not concerned about the 7'2" garage heights I am stuck with. Sure, it hits, but still looks brand new.

2 hours ago, kidphc said:

Looking for a low price point stopped me from recommending that style of antenna.  My personal vehicle has a Diamond NR770HB, with that design spec.

Looking for a low price point stopped me from recommending that style of antenna.  My personal vehicle has a Diamond NR770HB, with that design spec.
It is rough... since yes it's 2x the cost of a tram/browning of similar design.

But built at a different level. So might as well throw it out there, especially with "best" being at the top of the list.

He will have to decide his budget. I think the Diamond is a better antenna. But I WANTED survivability, which influenced my choice heavily.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Thanks all.  I ended up with a Tram 1181 140mhz-170mhz + 430mhz-470mhz Dual Band Nmo Antenna.  Pretty happy so far.
I got this antenna about six months ago and have been VERY pleased with its performance. It works as well as much longer dual band antennas. The SWR is good in the ham bands all the way up into the GMRS frequencies. Truly a hidden gem of an antenna.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...