Midland ghost antenna poor range

kylecox44

Question

Hello everyone,

I’m the FNG when it comes to gmrs and I just put a midland mxt275 in the 4Runner and I’m running the midland ghost antenna. I’ve watched many videos with good and bad reviews on it. Just did a range test in the city and I got maybe a mile. I thought it would’ve been a tad bit better than that. After looking at a bunch of forums it looks like my placement is poor along with the mount I’m using is powder coated. Any tips to improve my range or should I just get a different antenna. 

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3420.jpeg

10 answers to this question

First, it really needs to be higher, like on top of the vehicle with no obstructions.  In that position you're transmitting right into your A pillar, which is going to pretty much block most of your signal in that direction.  Second, that antenna requires a ground plane.  From the mount being used there is virtually none.  It might be catching a bit of the top of the fender and hood, but probably not much.

By comparison, if it were on the center of the roof it would perform a lot better, as long as it wasn't being obstructed.

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

Sounds about normal range for that location and antenna. If on the roof in the center you will probably get aa better signal but I'd just throw a 1/2 wave on your mount and be done with it. 

Now if I go with a 1/2 wave antenna would my range drastically improve with that location? 

4 hours ago, kylecox44 said:

Hello everyone,

I’m the FNG when it comes to gmrs and I just put a midland mxt275 in the 4Runner and I’m running the midland ghost antenna. I’ve watched many videos with good and bad reviews on it. Just did a range test in the city and I got maybe a mile. I thought it would’ve been a tad bit better than that. After looking at a bunch of forums it looks like my placement is poor along with the mount I’m using is powder coated. Any tips to improve my range or should I just get a different antenna. 

My antenna is in pretty much the same spot, only drivers side and I'm able to hit a repeater a good 40 miles out with it in this location using the Midland MXTA26. I also placed it here so I wouldn't knock the S@#% out of it loading and unloading things on a roof rack. Also powder coated like yours. I'm very happy with mine. 

For comparison I am running three times the wattage as you and the repeater is on a mountain with good line of sight so as they say your mileage may very but I think you'd be happy with the MXTA26. I'd say try a better antenna or relocate the one you have to a higher spot. 

IMG_6100.thumb.jpg.5e3330660394f96e6a513e10ef8d1013.jpg

Car I used to have, with an Antennex Phantom UHF antenna on the trunk, right next to a whisker VHF antenna. Less C pillar in the way, but still a metal ground plane, and managed to get about 12 miles range  or so, depending on terrain. 

If you get that antenna up on your roof, picture looked like a possible camping awning up there, above that, you should get pretty good range out of that Midland antenna. A previous poster has a YouTube video comparing that Midland antenna with another similar style....the Midland is not bad for what it is. Just get it higher, and less obstructed.

PontiacAntennexAnt.JPG

On 8/1/2023 at 3:41 PM, WRUU653 said:

My antenna is in pretty much the same spot, only drivers side and I'm able to hit a repeater a good 40 miles out with it in this location using the Midland MXTA26. I also placed it here so I wouldn't knock the S@#% out of it loading and unloading things on a roof rack. Also powder coated like yours. I'm very happy with mine. 

For comparison I am running three times the wattage as you and the repeater is on a mountain with good line of sight so as they say your mileage may very but I think you'd be happy with the MXTA26. I'd say try a better antenna or relocate the one you have to a higher spot. 

IMG_6100.thumb.jpg.5e3330660394f96e6a513e10ef8d1013.jpg

What I find interesting about this particular Midland antenna is that they say it does not require a ground plane.  I would have thought it was a 5/8λ antenna, which would require one.  Midland states that almost all of their other antennas do require a ground plane.  If it were a stacked 5/8λ I would see it not requiring a ground plane, but unless they're hiding something in the loading coil, I'm not seeing it.  I've also never tested one on the RigExpert to see what it does.

What I really do like about it, and recommend it for others that want something simple yet effective, is that Midland did a great job tuning it from the factory.  Just slap it on and go, and that's exactly what some people want to have, and there is no fault in that.  Even their little MXTA13 with 20' of spaghetti for coax does a nice job.  For a few occasions I've used the 13 with a DB-20G and had no problems hitting repeaters at 20 miles, even on low power.  I've never analyzed with the RigExpert though, as I acquired the antenna long before I got the analyzer, and never really gave it much thought.

I'll be back, got something I need to go do :)

39 minutes ago, SpeedSpeak2Me said:

I've also never tested one on the RigExpert to see what it does.

You got me curious so I tested one with my AA-650:

• No groundplane: Min SWR 1.16:1 @ 484Mhz, SWR @462.575 = 3.0:1
  • With Groundplane: Min SWR 1.49:1 @466Mhz, SWR @462.575 = 1.9:1

12 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

You got my curious so I tested one with my AA-650:

• No groundplane: Min SWR 1.16:1 @ 484Mhz, SWR @462.575 = 3.0:1
  • With Groundplane: Min SWR 1.49:1 @466Mhz, SWR @462.575 = 1.9:1

That's really interesting...  No ground plane and it's best out-of-band, add one in and it vastly improves.  I went and did the MXTA13, cause, why not?  I used a RigExpert Stick Pro, and had the antenna centered on the roof of a 2007 Chevy Silverado.

From 400 MHz up to 500 MHz (wanted a really large image of what it was doing) it stays under 1.67:1.  First band is 70cm, second narrowed band is 64cm, red line is center of GMRS.

462.600 MHz - 1.40:1
467.600 MHz - 1.39:1

image.thumb.png.0b6e8f19038cc21832389d1688903e25.png

image.thumb.png.6691bd99253f343195cea842ffb579f9.png

Also, just wanted to say, I took the plunge into getting the Stick Pro because of your demonstrations with the AA-650.  It's a fantastic tool to have!