Setting Up A Repeater For The First Time

WRYF792

First and foremost, I am sorry if I am posting this under the wrong topic.

Today I just got my little Midland MXT115 from Amazon. I just got my license yesterday and today I’m trying to get it linked up to some local repeaters. I watched a little video explaining how to program for a repeater, but I am very confused about the CTCSS/DCS codes. I don’t see anything on a local repeater on here. I’m just wondering if there’s something I’m missing here. I see an input tone on the repeater as “047 DPL” but nothing about CTCSS or DCS. I also have no idea how I'm supposed to know which channel a repeater frequency is under, I have one on my radio, and I keep hearing static. I feel like I am close to something here, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm not having much luck finding any info for this online. However, it is very possible I'm just not sure exactly what I should be searching for.

33 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

First and foremost, I am sorry if I am posting this under the wrong topic.

Today I just got my little Midland MXT115 from Amazon. I just got my license yesterday and today I’m trying to get it linked up to some local repeaters. I watched a little video explaining how to program for a repeater, but I am very confused about the CTCSS/DCS codes. I don’t see anything on a local repeater on here. I’m just wondering if there’s something I’m missing here. I see an input tone on the repeater as “047 DPL” but nothing about CTCSS or DCS. I also have no idea how I'm supposed to know which channel a repeater frequency is under, I have one on my radio, and I keep hearing static. I feel like I am close to something here, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm not having much luck finding any info for this online. However, it is very possible I'm just not sure exactly what I should be searching for.

So, general stuff first. Think of tones as a filter, that only lets signals through that carry a matching tone. These are ctcss (also called PL by Motorola, or QT by kenwood) and DCS (aka DPL or DQT). Repeaters will usually have it enabled on the input (what you transmit to).

Getting a hair more specific..Midland radios commonly need the repeater channels to be enabled in the menu; with that out of the way you'll see 1-22 (skipping 8-14, most likely ) and then find 15r-22r, which are set with the proper offset for repeater use. As far as tones, you want to be on the appropriate channel for the frequency of the repeater, (page 26 of the instructions has what channel is what frequency), then set the transmit tone; use the table on page 27 to see what tone exuals what code, and page 19 has the instructions on how to set the tones.

Looks like DPL 047 would be code 7 under dcs.

https://cdn.accentuate.io/81031332017/1623709961570/MXT115-Owners-Manual-11-16-2020.pdf

7 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

So, general stuff first. Think of tones as a filter, that only lets signals through that carry a matching tone. These are ctcss (also called PL by Motorola, or QT by kenwood) and DCS (aka DPL or DQT). Repeaters will usually have it enabled on the input (what you transmit to).

Getting a hair more specific..Midland radios commonly need the repeater channels to be enabled in the menu; with that out of the way you'll see 1-22 (skipping 8-14, most likely ) and then find 15r-22r, which are set with the proper offset for repeater use. As far as tones, you want to be on the appropriate channel for the frequency of the repeater, (page 26 of the instructions has what channel is what frequency), then set the transmit tone; use the table on page 27 to see what tone exuals what code, and page 19 has the instructions on how to set the tones.

Looks like DPL 047 would be code 7 under dcs.

https://cdn.accentuate.io/81031332017/1623709961570/MXT115-Owners-Manual-11-16-2020.pdf

The part that I am having trouble with is finding out what the tone is from the repeater info on this site. I don't seem to see anything about that on there. Would it not be showing that if it's an open system?

Have you tried logging into the site where the repeater map is? Even though the forum and the repeater site are both Mygmrs they act as separate sites so you’ll need to sign in to each. Even if it’s an open repeater I believe you still have to log in to see the tones. Hope this helps. 

9 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

The part that I am having trouble with is finding out what the tone is from the repeater info on this site. I don't seem to see anything about that on there. Would it not be showing that if it's an open system?

Usually if they are fully open, they'll have the tones on the repeater listing; some may still want to have a permission request to keep track of who may be using the repeater. Is there a specific repeater listing on the site you're looking at?

One side note: the main site (where the repeater listing is located) and the forum side don't always link up well; make sure the main page is showing you as logged in. It should be the same login as the forum.

6 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Usually if they are fully open, they'll have the tones on the repeater listing; some may still want to have a permission request to keep track of who may be using the repeater. Is there a specific repeater listing on the site you're looking at?

One side note: the main site (where the repeater listing is located) and the forum side don't always link up well; make sure the main page is showing you as logged in. It should be the same login as the forum.

I'm looking at many local in Phoenix, Arizona. But in particular, I am looking at SHAWBUTE 725, it appears to be a good choice from my newbie perspective. However, in particular, this one confuses me because it says in the description "USE DCS CODE 165N ON THE ENCODE SIDE OF YOUR RADIO ONLY FOR LINK ACCESS" - which I'm assuming may not apply to me, but I also I'm not entirely sure what that means.

6 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

Have you tried logging into the site where the repeater map is? Even though the forum and the repeater site are both Mygmrs they act as separate sites so you’ll need to sign in to each. Even if it’s an open repeater I believe you still have to log in to see the tones. Hope this helps. 

I have made sure to be logged into both. I started on the repeater map, and actually had a hard time posting this thread for this reason 😛

3 hours ago, WRYF792 said:

I'm looking at many local in Phoenix, Arizona. But in particular, I am looking at SHAWBUTE 725, it appears to be a good choice from my newbie perspective. However, in particular, this one confuses me because it says in the description "USE DCS CODE 165N ON THE ENCODE SIDE OF YOUR RADIO ONLY FOR LINK ACCESS" - which I'm assuming may not apply to me, but I also I'm not entirely sure what that means.

The Shaw Butte repeater is linked with the Southwest Community Radio System (SWCRS) network of other repeaters throughout Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, and I think Utah. The Shaw Butte repeater has two access modes, one for the local mode only, no link to the network; and one for the network mode to link up with the other linked repeaters.

The linked repeaters in Arizona are Shaw Butte, Towers 600, Mt Elden, Diamond Point, Greens Peak, Pinal, Mt. Lemmon, and others. The DPL code is for the linked network access and the local mode requires the CTCSS/ PL of 100.0 Hz. There is no tone on the downlink side.

If you want to communicate with other stations near the other repeaters both stations would have to access the respective repeaters with the link tones. Also, if you want to participate in the Sunday and Wednesday Nets, you'll have to access the network with the link tones.

On 8/6/2023 at 1:26 AM, WRYF792 said:

What that's saying is if you just want your signal repeated from that repeater, only use one tone, and if you want it repeated across all of the other repeater sthat are linked to Shawbute also, use the other tone (the "for link access" part.

In either case both of those are the transmit tones, and you will not use a receive tone, as the listing is saying the repeater does not send one.

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

What that's saying is if you just want your signal repeated from that repeater, use one tone, and if you want it repeated across all of the repeater that are linked to Shawbute, use the other tone (the "for link access" part.

In either case both of those are the transmit tones, and you will not use a receive tone, as the listing is saying the repeater does not send one.

I do not see 165N in my DCS tones on this little radio, would 65 be the right one for that, do you know?

I'm starting to feel like I bought the wrong radio to start out. A lot of people online seem to say it's really awful for repeater use.

29 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

I do not see 165N in my DCS tones on this little radio, would 65 be the right one for that, do you know?

I'm starting to feel like I bought the wrong radio to start out. A lot of people online seem to say it's really awful for repeater use.

No, 65 is not the same as 165N. 
Unfortunately some of the manufacturers have included non-standard digital codes. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list. 
About the “N”, that means normal. If you see an “I” it means that the bits of the code are inverted. 
There’s also a document “out there” that reveals equivalent codes. It has been attached to forum posts in the past. You might find it in the files section. 

3 hours ago, WRYF792 said:

Looking at the chart in the manual, it looks like DCS #27 equates to a DCS tone 165....since it's specified as (N)ormal, that should be the one you need.

If it were (I)inverted, it'd be looking for that chart @Sshannon mentioned for  an equivalent tone to use, then using the chart in Midland's instructions to find what code to enter. I won't say Midland is bad, but their use of code numbers to enter the tones does add an extra layer of complication.

Also, some of that reputation online is based on prior versions of the radios, which WERE less than stellar for repeater use due to being narrowband only (which sounds quieter on a wideband repeater) and not having the ability to set transmit and receive tones independently. As far as I know, those shortcomings got addressed when they updated the radios from a usb-a port on the front to usb-c.

Edited by wayoverthere
more on "reputation"

19 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Looking at the chart in the manual, it looks like DCS #27 equates to a DCS tone 165....since it's specified as (N)ormal, that should be the one you need.

If it were (I)inverted, it'd be looking for that chart @Sshannon mentioned for  an equivalent tone to use, then using the chart in Midland's instructions to find what code to enter. I won't say Midland is bad, but their use of code numbers to enter the tones does add an extra layer of complication.

Also, some of that reputation online is based on prior versions of the radios, which WERE less than stellar for repeater use due to being narrowband only (which sounds quieter on a wideband repeater) and not having the ability to set transmit and receive tones independently. As far as I know, those shortcomings got addressed when they updated the radios from a usb-a port on the front to usb-c.

I have decided to become more familiar with the manual, as everybody keeps referring me to parts of it to help clear up the confusion. I did also watch a couple videos about the radio by some rubicon guy. Thankfully I got the newer version of the radio with USB C. However, I do still think repeaters are sort of an issue on these units. From everything that I can see, you cannot set an input and output tone to be different, there’s no split tone option on the radio. Which seems like a huge dealbreaker to me. So unfortunately it seems like the issues with repeaters still do persist. Also keeping in mind that it is in fact still shortwave only, unfortunately. I may return the radio and save a few extra bucks to get something a little more expensive and feature full. Thank you for your help!

32 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

I have decided to become more familiar with the manual, as everybody keeps referring me to parts of it to help clear up the confusion. I did also watch a couple videos about the radio by some rubicon guy. Thankfully I got the newer version of the radio with USB C. However, I do still think repeaters are sort of an issue on these units. From everything that I can see, you cannot set an input and output tone to be different, there’s no split tone option on the radio. Which seems like a huge dealbreaker to me. So unfortunately it seems like the issues with repeaters still do persist. Also keeping in mind that it is in fact still shortwave only, unfortunately. I may return the radio and save a few extra bucks to get something a little more expensive and feature full. Thank you for your help!

If you're within the return window, that's definitely a viable option. There's a number of users (myself included) that have been happy with the anytone at779uv/radioddity db20g/retevis ra25 triplets; it's around the same size physically, and a little less expensive. The software is a little limited though, but usable.

On the manual, at least for me not being super familiar with specific radios (or in this case, a newer model), i'll refer to the manual too to have a better idea what menu options to look for.

On the tones, it does look like it has options to set transmit (tC) and receive (rC) tones separately, at least based on the manual. On the downside, it doesn't offer an option to have 2 copies of the channel (one with the local tone and one with the link tone), so it'd be changing tones in the menu to switch (which does sound like a pain).

I have a couple repeaters locally that are both on .575, but with different tones..on the Midland I'd have to remember the code to change tones depending which I wanted to use. Next radio didn't allow programming more TX channels, but it at least used tones instead of codes. Current radios, I have a present for each with the appropriate tones set.

21 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

On the downside, it doesn't offer an option to have 2 copies of the channel

Would you be able to elaborate a little more on this? I surely hope you're not saying that when you change the tone for one channel, it applies to all channels! 

Thank you for the info, I'll absolutely look into these options! I absolutely love the small size, my car is small so I don't want a big bulky radio to take up valuble space in it for now, lol

4 hours ago, WRYF792 said:

Would you be able to elaborate a little more on this? I surely hope you're not saying that when you change the tone for one channel, it applies to all channels!

No, it doesn't apply across all the channels like that. in my case, there are two repeaters on .575 (ch 16).  On the midland, i usually had the tone set for the closer repeater (Auberry), but if i wanted to use the other that's on the same frequency (Central1), i'd have to either look up or remember the code number for the correct tone for that one, and set it in the menu. 

when i moved to the Btech GMRS 50x1. the situation was similar, but without the codes, that lets you choose the tones directly), since the hard coded 30 channels in that are all you get for transmit, and anything else you program is receive only. (i hear they've made the GMRS50v2 a bit more flexible).

For my current radios (anytone at779uv, vertex vx4207), they're a lot more flexible about what you can program, so I can have whatever combination of frequency and tone desired for each memory preset/channel.  I programmed preset channels for Auberry and Central1, each with the appropriate tone, so instead of having to go into the menu and change tones, i just switch to the desired memory channel.  I also have a ham system near me that operates similar to the SWCRS setup, where using one tone repeats at that repeater only, and a second repeats across the linked system, so i have memory channels that are C15-Local (which uses the local tone) and C15-Link (which uses the tone to repeat across the whole system).

On the size comparison, i snapped some pictures awhile ago of the midland and anytone side by side, if that helps.

wnNld6I.png

Ma0ozGm.png

8 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

No, it doesn't apply across all the channels like that. in my case, it's two repeaters on .575 (ch 16).  On the midland, i usually had the tone set for the closer repeater (Auberry), but if i wanted to use the other that's on the same frequency (Central1), i'd have to either look up or remember the code number for the correct tone for that one, and set it in the menu. 

when i moved to the Btech GMRS 50x1. the situation was similar, but without the codes, that lets you choose the tones directly), since the hard coded 30 channels in that are all you get for transmit, and anything else you program is receive only. (i hear they've made the GMRS50v2 a bit more flexible).

For my current radios (anytone at779uv, vertex vx4207), they're a lot more flexible about what you can program, so I can have whatever combination of frequency and tone desired for each memory preset/channel.  I programmed preset channels for Auberry and Central1, each with the appropriate tone, so instead of having to go into the menu and change tones, i just switch to the desired memory channel.  I also have a ham system near me that operates similar to the SWCRS setup, where using one tone repeats at that repeater only, and a second repeats across the linked system, so i have memory channels that are C15-Local (which uses the local tone) and C15-Link (which uses the tone to repeat across the whole system).

On the size comparison, i snapped some pictures awhile ago of the midland and anytone side by side, if that helps.

wnNld6I.png

Ma0ozGm.png

Awesome, thank you so much for your help! The anytone at779uv seems like a much better option, for the time being, I will absolutely be getting this one! Thank you for the size comparison, this is a great help! I'm not seeing this listed on CHIRP's website, however. Is it supported with CHIRP, or fairly eas to get programmed? It seems like a pretty straight forward little radio for sure!

10 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

Awesome, thank you so much for your help! The anytone at779uv seems like a much better option, for the time being, I will absolutely be getting this one! Thank you for the size comparison, this is a great help! I'm not seeing this listed on CHIRP's website, however. Is it supported with CHIRP, or fairly eas to get programmed? It seems like a pretty straight forward little radio for sure!

It's reasonably easy to program, though the actual manual isn't the greatest. On chirp, I believe they were working on compatibility, but I didn't see a lot of progress... https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/8953

2 hours ago, WRYF792 said:

So unfortunately it seems like the issues with repeaters still do persist. Also keeping in mind that it is in fact still shortwave only, unfortunately. I may return the radio and save a few extra bucks to get something a little more expensive and feature full. Thank you for your help!

Pardon? Did you mean NARROWBAND? It sure isn't shortwave (aka HF)

21 hours ago, WRXE944 said:

The Anytone AT-779UV is also sold as the Radioddity DB20-G.

Lets Get Ready sells the Anytone for $99 and free shipping and they offer a a dual band mag-mount antenna for $20.

It is not CHIRP compatible but offers an easy to use Windows CPS programming software that is similar to a spreadsheet.  Be sure to double click the (>>) symbol at the end of each Channel to open up programming for Tones.

Repeater are programmed into Channels 23-30 in order and then DIY in Channels 31-40 for same frequency but different Tones for other repeaters:

gmrs-frs (1.3.22).jpg

Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 10.44.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 10.35.16 AM.png

I just picked my AnyTone AT-779UV from an Amazon locker on my way to work. Is this thing for GMRS? Because it looks like everything is preset for regular ham channels. I can still go to a GMRS channel, but I've currently got it stuck in FM radio and about to read the manual, I'm a little unsure how to work it quite yet 😝

11 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

I just picked my AnyTone AT-779UV from an Amazon locker on my way to work. Is this thing for GMRS? Because it looks like everything is preset for regular ham channels. I can still go to a GMRS channel, but I've currently got it stuck in FM radio and about to read the manual, I'm a little unsure how to work it quite yet 😝

It may have been shipped in the wrong mode...it does have a mode that's locked down for gmrs, but there are also unlocked modes that can be used for ham use (I have one that was in the older car for exactly that reason)

6 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

It may have been shipped in the wrong mode...it does have a mode that's locked down for gmrs, but there are also unlocked modes that can be used for ham use (I have one that was in the older car for exactly that reason)

I snuck away from my desk for a second to check it out a little bit more. You were right! I'm just not entirley sure what exactly I did to put it into GMRS mode, not sure which button did the trick lol. 

1 hour ago, WRYF792 said:

I snuck away from my desk for a second to check it out a little bit more. You were right! I'm just not entirley sure what exactly I did to put it into GMRS mode, not sure which button did the trick lol. 

Looking for the post right now (may have been another thread), but I was corrected that it's holding the v/m button when turning it on that will give you the option to change modes. Be aware it does wipe any channels you program when changing modes, and for gmrs mode, reverts to the base 30 channels (22 simplex, 8 repeater).

Edit: found it.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/5871-radioddity-db20-g/?do=findComment&comment=60575&_rid=2738

Edited by wayoverthere
found post I was looking for

35 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Looking for the post right now (may have been another thread), but I was corrected that it's holding the v/m button when turning it on that will give you the option to change modes. Be aware it does wipe any channels you program when changing modes, and for gmrs mode, reverts to the base 30 channels (22 simplex, 8 repeater).

Edit: found it.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/5871-radioddity-db20-g/?do=findComment&comment=60575&_rid=2738

It's a little unfortunate that it will wipe all channels. What I'm not able to figure out though is what button do I push to start up in said mode from this menu. I can find GMRS in the menu, but I don't know how to select it. I'm currently attempting to figure out how to program a repeater into it without using my computer currently. Would be very nice to be able to get at least one repeater dialed in until I can mess with it on my computer at home tonight!

52 minutes ago, WRYF792 said:

It's a little unfortunate that it will wipe all channels. What I'm not able to figure out though is what button do I push to start up in said mode from this menu. I can find GMRS in the menu, but I don't know how to select it. I'm currently attempting to figure out how to program a repeater into it without using my computer currently. Would be very nice to be able to get at least one repeater dialed in until I can mess with it on my computer at home tonight!

it might be the "fun" button that selects the mode, once you're in that menu.

From there, all you REALLY need to do is dial up the correct repeater channel (the base 30 should be there in gmrs mode) and enter the transmit tone. The instructions @WRXE944 linked has how to set the tone on page 14.

On 8/7/2023 at 11:26 AM, WRXE944 said: