GMRS-9R cannot tx on gmrs15

Guest WRYG246

I was ready to return my UV-9G HTs with the dead channel 15, and it occurred to me to ask Radioditty if they would let me keep them as extras and refund half the purchase price.  They agreed, so I am keeping them. I will only have $22 a piece in them.  To me they are more than worth that even with channel 15 inoperable.

Now I want to order 2 more, but I would like to assure the new ones have a working channel 15.   

46 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

I was ready to return my UV-9G HTs Now I want to order 2 more, but I would like to assure the new ones have a working channel 15.   

I purchased a pair of Pofung BF-T11 FRS radios from Amazon and one had bad audio. 

Amazon sent me two more and told me to keep the originals, so now I have 3 good working ones. 

7 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

Are you able to transmit 462.550 simplex on another channel using the CPS programming software?

Great question.  That thought never occurred to me.  I am pretty sure I can only add receive-only frequencies, but I will check it out in the morning.  I will try to enter it in place of one of the low-power channels.  If that does not work, I will try to enter it as an add-on at the end of the channels.

1 hour ago, Tiercel said:

Great question.  That thought never occurred to me.  I am pretty sure I can only add receive-only frequencies, but I will check it out in the morning.  I will try to enter it in place of one of the low-power channels.  If that does not work, I will try to enter it as an add-on at the end of the channels.

I have no experience with programming or using your HT, but sometimes, channels 30-39 can be DIY repeater channels and sometimes, simplex, too.

Not “exactly” a UV-9G, but the GMRS-9r that I recently picked up had the same “channel 15 no TX” issue. I was able to get a bootloader and “firmware” (really not sure it’s firmware or just a patch of some sort, and haven’t cared enough to find out) from Abbree after some pretty heavy handed communication to them. 
Given the GMRS-9r and UV-9G are nearly identical radios internally I wonder if this fix would work for yours?

I’d be willing to pass along the files directly to you if you want to try at your own risk?

16 hours ago, WRZE995 said:

Not “exactly” a UV-9G, but the GMRS-9r that I recently picked up had the same “channel 15 no TX” issue. I was able to get a bootloader and “firmware” (really not sure it’s firmware or just a patch of some sort, and haven’t cared enough to find out) from Abbree after some pretty heavy handed communication to them. 
Given the GMRS-9r and UV-9G are nearly identical radios internally I wonder if this fix would work for yours?

I’d be willing to pass along the files directly to you if you want to try at your own risk?

Please pass it along!  I'll give it a try on the two replacements AMZ sent to me which I have to send back anyway.

5 hours ago, WRZG587 said:

Please pass it along!  I'll give it a try on the two replacements AMZ sent to me which I have to send back anyway.

Send me a direct message with your email address and I’ll gladly send it over!

On 11/5/2023 at 1:01 AM, WRZG587 said:

I apologize - I hadn't come to the realization that this forum doesn't have a DM function. I'm attaching the GMRS-9R files I have.

Goes without saying, try at your own risk!

GMRS-9R.zip

3 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

It does have a DM function. Bring up the profile of someone and click the envelope below their profile picture.IMG_3503.thumb.png.ef48f621c93008194e52dec71d68db31.png

Hmmmm…. I give up..To many long days in front of a computer… or maybe I can blame the time change? 😆 Either way, there’s the files, and hope they help some one out there!!

On 11/4/2023 at 7:50 AM, WRZE995 said:

Hello, 

I can confirm the fix from Abbree works to resolve the CH15 issue for the GMRS UV-9R and also UV-9G. I sent message to ABBREE through amazon and they requested an photo of my email address. The next day they emailed me a 197 mb file link to download the update software and the same instructional video they have on Amazon for the UV-9r; the actual upgrade files are less that 1mb. I purchased the UV-9r from ABBREE and several UV-9g from Radioditty; Radioditty's resolution was "We'd like to arrange a new UV-9G radio replacement from our Chinese warehouse and shipping time takes 7-10 working days."

The update process is exactly the same as the video,  quick and didn't change any saved settings; still works with CHIRP using the UV-9g profile, FM radio and everything else works as far as I can tell. 

Hats off to both of you.  Based on the success LiguidJS83 had, I downloaded the file WRZE995 shared.  It was very late last night, and I was tired.  So, I might have failed to follow the high-speed video correctly, but I did not get it to push to the radio, so I followed my instincts and went to bed.  This morning, I gave it another go.  My first step was to realize I had another loose Baofeng cable plugged into my PC.  Maybe that caused me to pselect the wrong port last night.

The bottom line is the file uploaded to the Baofeng UV-9G fine.  I disconnected the HT and cycled it off and on. It now seems to work perfectly, receiving and transmitting on channel 15.  I am now going to do the second UV-9G.

I now have (2) fully functional UV-9Gs that I got for half-price plus my hassle. I wonder how many have a Baofeng with this issue that don't even know it? 

I tried to give both of you a "Thanks" button, but the forum told me I could not give any more reactions today.  It is the first I touched the PC today unless I was on right after midnight.  Apparently, I am too overreactive. 😂  I have to subdue my appreciation. 

This topic is a valuable resource to many looking for a fix to this. 

44 minutes ago, Guest Bryan said:

Does anyone know how I could get in touch with someone that could help me program repeater tones in my BTECH 50 watt radio?

Since wildly straying off-topic is now the "in" thing to do, I'll jump in:   Is it the 50W GMRS radio or the 50W HAM radio?  Makes a HUGE difference when programming.

8 hours ago, UncleYoda said:

Has anyone reported the same problem for any UV-5Gs?  (I can't test mine on simplex because no one close.)

With my two HT's, the transmit light would not come on.  If you press the Push-to-talk button and the transmit light comes on I think there is at least a 99% chance you ore fine.

7 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Since wildly straying off-topic is now the "in" thing to do, I'll jump in:   Is it the 50W GMRS radio or the 50W HAM radio?  Makes a HUGE difference when programming.

That qualifies as straying off topic like parachuting naked into a packed stadium qualifies as straying off of a nude beach  😂🤣😂
But, he is a confused guest so he deserves some extra consideration.

1 hour ago, Tiercel said:

That qualifies as straying off topic like parachuting naked into a packed stadium qualifies as straying off of a nude beach  😂🤣😂
But, he is a confused guest so he deserves some extra consideration.

I used to complain about off-topic comments but i've decided that instead of fighting the tide, i will just embrace it like everyone else apparently does.. and for an added bonus I decided to be nice to the n00b... I think i'm turning over a new leaf...

On 10/20/2023 at 2:28 PM, OffRoaderX said:

This is why i always recommend purchasing from Amazon whenever possible and NEVER directly from the manufacture website especially if it is in Chyna.. That way if you get a radio that does not work as advertised, instead of jumping through hoops and running in circles, you just send it back for a full refund - something that Amazon makes very easy to do.

I guess this is pretty old at this point; however, I wanted to point out that, for a while there (maybe still?) the primary seller of Baofeng UV-5R radios (including the UV-5R GMRS), and actually the only one I could find on AMAZON, was ABBREE. So, I ended up sending two UV-5R GMRS radios back to Amazon, both of which had been sold by ABBREE. 

Then I ordered the UV-9G from Amazon, supplied by Radioddity, as I recall. It has the same 462.550 dead TX as the UV-5R GMRS did. However, I decided to keep it, as it is weather resistant, and if I REALLY have to play on GMRS Ch 15, I can do it on one of the other radios I (now) have. 

If I can find/dig out an old PC and download the firmware zip from this thread, I'll try fixing it with that.