GMRS for my Jeep

WRUI314

Hi All,

I am brand new (FNG) to GMRS I have two hand held radios a UV-5R and a UV-9G but I am looking to replace the CB in my Jeep with a Base/Mobile model.  Do you all have any advice/suggestions for a NOOB?  I am looking for something that will hold up to 4 wheeling but also not drain bank account to much.

I have had the Midland MXT400 in my Jeep Wrangler for about three years now.  I usually get the most use out of it on trail rides.  As I understand it, the MXT500 is pretty much the same but with more output power.  Also you can select the wideband feature that will assist in getting better reception of other brand systems.  Midland is usually a narrow band and it makes you turn un the volume to hear wideband radios better.

My daily driving usage has been very limited and involves GMRS repeaters when/where available.  Overall, there are few people using this system of communication except to speak with fellow travelers or local neighbor chats.  Businesses around town use it often.  For me I set the channel selector on SCAN and that is what I hear the most of.

I have run a bunch of different radios over the last 3 to 5 years. I feel like any of the Wouxun or Midland radios would be a good choice. 

Got to say, though, I am currently using a Land Mobile Radio Service radio and there is nothing on the market that has matched it in performance or durability.  The only downside is the price tag.

26 minutes ago, WRUI314 said:

Thanks guys, I will look into the Midland MTX400 and 275 plus the MXTA26 antenna.

Just so you know, the MXTA26 antenna does not include a mount. You’ll still need to get some kind of NMO mount to attach to your jeep and accept the antenna. Many mounts include the coax cable as well. 

One thing I like about the Midland mount/cables is that the PL259 connector unscrews from the cable and is much smaller, allowing a smaller hole for bringing the cable into the cab of the vehicle.  The 400 is popular as I understand that there is CPS available to program it, while the 275 and 575 are programmed from the hand mic.

22 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Just so you know, the MXTA26 antenna does not include a mount. You’ll still need to get some kind of NMO mount to attach to your jeep and accept the antenna. Many mounts include the coax cable as well. 

Ohh yeah, I forgot to mention that.  I agree with WRQG411 on the Midland PL259 mount / cable.  I was able hide the cable in the gap between the frame and the fender cover fabric.  Just loosen the bolts holding the top on and shove the cable behind them.  From there you can run the same line down until you reach the rear floor mat.  

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2023 at 2:08 PM, WRUI314 said:

Thanks guys, I will look into the Midland MTX400 and 275 plus the MXTA26 antenna.

I myself have the MXT275 and do not like it because of the method to program frequencies in, (can’t have multiple tone codes per channel) and will be selling once I decide if I want to stick with GMRS or get a Ham for my Jeep.

I feel the GMRS is limited as far as talking to others unless you are linked to a repeater.

Im new to this myself but do have some experience with my radio to know I’m looking for more.

1 hour ago, WRXX537 said:

...will be selling once I decide if I want to stick with GMRS or get a Ham for my Jeep.

Anecdotal, I know, but in my own experience there are very few people I wheel with that are amateur radio operators.  All of them use FRS or GMRS when they wheel anyway.  Moving to amateur service for offroad is seriously going to limit who you talk to on the trails.

If you are not worried about that or don't trail ride, I suppose it's a non-issue.

I feel the GMRS is limited as far as talking to others unless you are linked to a repeater.

If you are planing on using VHF and UHF, the same limits apply as in GMRS.  While you can run 1,500 watts on amateur bands, the extra power doesn't do much if the LOS isn't there.  Most of the time, VHF simplex around me, is limited to between 3.5 and 20 miles depending on terrain.  However, I few days ago, from a mountain top I talked to someone almost 250 miles away.  GMRS works the exact same way.

The only thing that gets you more range without repeaters and mountain tops is HF.  You can work the world with just a few watts... but you won't talk any further locally there either, as LOS still limits local comms.  Usually once you hit the LOS barrier, either you need 40m, 80m or 160m NVIS to talk, say 20 to 350 miles.  Otherwise, you aren't talking to many people inside the 350 mile radius there, either.

Im new to this myself but do have some experience with my radio to know I’m looking for more.

What specifically are you looking to do.  Myself and many others have a ton of experience over many decades in different areas.  There is a good chance we can help if we know what you want to do.