SHTF Radio preparation and models?

Lscott

Well, if it's DC to daylight and beyond, then a Faraday Cage isn't what you are looking for.  It's one thing to block RF signals.  If we are talking about trying to attenuate Alpha, Beta and Gamma radiation then it's a whole different ball game.  ANd the truth is ONLY plate steel, and LOTS of earth are going to work.  So let's quit screwing around and get a go fund me together for a dozer and a BIG track hoe and most likely a portable concrete plant and start building AT&T style bunkers and skip the discussions of ammo and trash can's with aluminum tape around the seams and lids.  I mean if we are going to be ridiculous, lets just get to it and skip the silliness all together. 

Here's the problem.  If you are looking to block stuff that will kill you anyway, what's the point unless you have other means of protecting yourself for event's like you are referring to.  And if you DO have those means, they will certainly protect radios that are around you went it happens. 

1 hour ago, WRKC935 said:

So let's quit screwing around and get a go fund me together for a dozer and a BIG track hoe and most likely a portable concrete plant and start building AT&T style bunkers...

That's what 1% is doing.

https://nypost.com/2022/09/24/how-the-worlds-billionaires-are-paying-to-escape-global-disaster/

Bunkers.jpg

2 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

Well, if it's DC to daylight and beyond, then a Faraday Cage isn't what you are looking for.  It's one thing to block RF signals.  If we are talking about trying to attenuate Alpha, Beta and Gamma radiation then it's a whole different ball game.  ANd the truth is ONLY plate steel, and LOTS of earth are going to work.  So let's quit screwing around and get a go fund me together for a dozer and a BIG track hoe and most likely a portable concrete plant and start building AT&T style bunkers and skip the discussions of ammo and trash can's with aluminum tape around the seams and lids.  I mean if we are going to be ridiculous, lets just get to it and skip the silliness all together. 

Here's the problem.  If you are looking to block stuff that will kill you anyway, what's the point unless you have other means of protecting yourself for event's like you are referring to.  And if you DO have those means, they will certainly protect radios that are around you went it happens. 

I work and live inside a ground-zero strike zone. If something happens here, I'll be gone, and so with the people I love. Ive just come to except that living afterwards is a non-starter. So I don't bother with any of this crap beyond internet discussion and the occasional experiment. 

27 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

I work and live inside a ground-zero strike zone. If something happens here, I'll be gone, and so with the people I love. Ive just come to except that living afterwards is a non-starter. So I don't bother with any of this crap beyond internet discussion and the occasional experiment. 

Ditto.  I'll probably just walk out the front door so I can watch the military base two miles away get blown to hell, and wait for the shock wave.

54 minutes ago, marcspaz said:

26 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

Ditto.  I'll probably just walk out the front door so I can watch the military base two miles away get blown to hell, and wait for the shock wave.

I think I recognize the sentiment: I grew up in 1970s West-Germany rather close to an oil refinery. At the time, the outcome of any east west escalation was clear to me #HappyChildhoodMemories 👍

Edited by WRXD372
added "West"

On 9/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, marcspaz said:

Truth is, every frequency from DC to daylight comes from an EMP. It will be in the form of electrical, magnetic, electromagnetic, radiation, and photon energy. Even the smallest of pinholes leaves you are risk.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:14 AM, Sshannon said:

Nobody was. 😁

Well, gonna have to call you on that.  Once you bring photon energy into the discussion.  You are pretty much talking about those. 

But I am all for a go fund me to get a dozer, track hoe and portable concrete plant gathered up.  And rebar, lots and lots of rebar.  ANd if you started doing the math, you could start with a low spot and dig enough out to back fill overtop since the dirt will be replaced with bunker.  If you look at the pictures of the big AT&T bunkers being built, they just cut the earth away with dozers for the most part and then built the buildings.  Other than the actual missle silos themselves, the underground launch facilities were built the same way.  Pull out the dirt, build the structures and then back fill the site.

11 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

Well, gonna have to call you on that.  Once you bring photon energy into the discussion.  You are pretty much talking about those. 

But I am all for a go fund me to get a dozer, track hoe and portable concrete plant gathered up.  And rebar, lots and lots of rebar.  ANd if you started doing the math, you could start with a low spot and dig enough out to back fill overtop since the dirt will be replaced with bunker.  If you look at the pictures of the big AT&T bunkers being built, they just cut the earth away with dozers for the most part and then built the buildings.  Other than the actual missle silos themselves, the underground launch facilities were built the same way.  Pull out the dirt, build the structures and then back fill the site.

there is defiantly an up swing of people building bug out shelters..I know of half dozen around my town..  Some are fortified pretty damn well considering they are build into a hill/mountain side.  Buried sea containers, reinforced with cement seems to be popular too.  I have more than enough property and have thought about it... it's defiantly easier to think about now days