20W vs 50W

WRYW392

Question

5 answers to this question

Short answer is no.

Longer answer that is significantly more vague...  Given most 50w models are closer to 45w, and you have to quadruple your power to increase your signal 1 s-unit, I would say no, not really.  You really need to jump to 80w-100w before it makes a real difference, but those numbers aren't available in GMRS. 

Other side of the debate, I am a power junkie and you never know when that extra few watts is going to be the difference between reaching who you need to talk to or not.

I have both the 20W Wouxun and 50 watt Wouxun.  I love them both.  That being said, there are some days when the weather conditions are right (or wrong I guess) when the 50 watt will hit the repeater 17 miles away that the 20 watt has a little struggle to get through to it.  Most days though, my 5 watt HT gets through to it.  Hope this does'nt muddy the water....

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

Whats you application ? That normally drives power. Many think power is king but its really what antenna you have. 

Regular GMRS applications, Simplex car-to-car and Duplex car-to-RPT.

I agree with the antenna part, but based on real-world tests, there isn't much you can do to improve propagation from a car antena in 460 MHz (being very close to the ground).

If anyone has conducted tests with different results, please let us know.

On 10/5/2023 at 5:03 AM, WRYW392 said:

I agree with the antenna part, but based on real-world tests, there isn't much you can do to improve propagation from a car antena in 460 MHz (being very close to the ground).

But you can drive your car to a higher location sometimes or one with better line of sight. Really height is "might" as the saying goes. Elevation and line of sight make the most difference.

That said extra power on tap is not a bad thing. If you can afford it get the KG-1000Gplus. Great radio.