Antenna and a metal outbuilding

Guest horseman1

Guest horseman1

Greetings,

I currently have no license, nor GMRS radio. We are currently using HT FRS radios to communicate on our property but will be moving to GMRS. 

I have a few questions before I decide on the equipment. I will be wanting a setup in my steel pole barn shop.

Would it be a good idea to use the roof of the building as a ground plane? If so, I would appreciate any antenna recommendations.

If not, I would need to keep the antenna some distance away from the metal building, correct? 

Any other suggestions (as far as metal buildings and antennas go :) are welcome.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Regards,

H1

Give us some more info on what you are wanting to achieve such as distance desired what is the terrain like etc. Is it just for use on the property or will you want mobile capability as well? Budget? GMRS can have much greater range than FRS even with handhelds. Maybe you don't even need a base station.

Also be aware that long cable runs should be avoided with UHF. How long of a run are you thinking? A barn could need quite a long run depending on where the radio station will be located. It can get expensive quickly setting up a base station plus handhelds for everyone.

Guest horseman1

Thanks all! I didn't provide enough information for you. The main use is to communicate down to my shooting range when I have a friend or family member out using my range. Inside the metal shop, the reception is poor. A lot of times, I'm in the shop when they are shooting. If something were to go bad down there, I want to hear it. Outside the shop, frs works fine (but a little static sometimes). My place is full of tall pines, so there is no getting above them. When I asked about the ground plane, I was thinking of just putting up a mobile antenna. I should have been clearer on that.  We also communicate around the property when someone goes out into the woods. Usually, I can hear them quite well, but the metal shop is the problem. The shop has 12 feet sides and we have a Colorado snow load pitch (not sure how high that makes the peak).

Thanks and regards,

H1

If you are only worried about one direction, a mobile antenna outside on that side of the building would work well, for better range in all directions, a mobile mounted at the peak of the roof would work.  If FRS is working, you may have success with GMRS even with cheap coax to an antenna at the peak of the roof. 

1 hour ago, AdmiralCochrane said:

If you are only worried about one direction, a mobile antenna outside on that side of the building would work well, for better range in all directions, a mobile mounted at the peak of the roof would work.  If FRS is working, you may have success with GMRS even with cheap coax to an antenna at the peak of the roof. 

thats a great idea to do. thats all we do here with our steel buildings. it works great also. 

Guest horseman1

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I think I will go ahead and order a mobile magnet mount antenna when the time comes with a sufficiently long cable to reach the "range side" of the metal roof.

Regards,

H1