Ham UHF vs GMRS

Tiercel

On 10/28/2023 at 11:38 AM, Tiercel said:

Thanks SShannon,  I responded to your message.  I appreciate the offer.

WRUI365 - I don't totally understand what I am looking at but it was interesting to change the time and extent of the tails to see the movement of what must be GPS tracking.

APRS is a way of communicating information using packets.  The most common information transmitted using APRS is location, but it can also include weather or text messages.  There is a whole unofficial network of radios called digipeaters (digital repeaters) that share all of that information so it can be seen using the website APRS.fi, but if you have an APRS capable radio you can receive the information locally as well.

People flying large high power rockets or high altitude balloons use tiny little APRS transmitters tucked away in their payloads so they can get them back.

When my ham radio club provides logistical support for a local fundraising bike ride, many of us use handheld radios that allow us to communicate by voice on one frequency while transmitting our location on the APRS frequency.  That allows our “base” to see all the moving pieces on a map on a computer screen.

If you search for AI7KS in APRS.fi you may see traces for AI7KS-7 or AI7KS-8, depending on which one of my APRS radios I am carrying (assuming I remember to turn on APRS.)

18 hours ago, gortex2 said:

And on ham you can use DMR, P25, Fusion, IDAS etc..... That you can't use on GMRS

I did learn one thing from this post.  You know a lot more than I do.

I remind everyone that I have had a GMRS radio for a week.  I have not even completed the study for my Ham test.  If your answers wouldn't make any sense to the random guy on the street, then they won't make sense to me.

3 hours ago, back4more70 said:

Where can I find these?  They sound great for search and rescue use or event communications.

That'd typically what I use mine for. They are available from Ham Radio Outlet, DX Engineering, and companies like them. Common brands are Yaesu, iCom, Anytone, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

With a little Google research you should be able to find an amateur radio club in your area most people in these clubs are more than willing to show you there radio's and answer as many questions as they can . And please remember if everybody like the same thing Walmart would constantly be sold out

On 10/30/2023 at 10:26 AM, Tiercel said:

I remind everyone that I have had a GMRS radio for a week.  I have not even completed the study for my Ham test.  If your answers wouldn't make any sense to the random guy on the street, then they won't make sense to me.

It's like any other hobby specific area. They all have their funny jargon. After you're in it a bit you'll pick it up quick enough. Remember just one thing, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS! That's how you learn.

• 1 month later...

Comparing services in UHF HAM vs GMRS. Both services have their pros and cons, but each service gets the same job done. True an Amateur Radio Licenses only authorizes the person who passed his or her exam and GMRS licenses authorizes the entire Family. A CB would do just about the same as GMRS on simplex and even about the same with the audio quality, now that FM is legal on 11m Band.   In a real SHTF, the majority of GMRS repeaters, like Ham repeaters will be down or in service for BUCC, with the Local ARES or CERT groups. So, using any repeater, whether Amateur or GMRS will be like trying use a Landline or Cellular. 

2 hours ago, Adamdaj said:

In a real SHTF, the majority of GMRS repeaters, like Ham repeaters will be down or in service for BUCC, with the Local ARES or CERT groups.

If the S really does HTF, I'll be using my repeater to transmit AC/DC Highway To Hell on an endless loop. Like the guys on Titanic who played while the ship sank. Only edgier.

• 1 month later...

You may already know this but here goes:

A cheap SDR will give you the ability to see what's out there on HF, VHF, UHF, slow scan TV, track satellites, listen to the space station etc. Additionally, you can listen to international shortwave broadcasts, pirate and spy stations. Listening to active NETS is super easy. -There is a lot more but it's TLDR.

You can program in all of the active frequencies within your antennas reach and use a scanner plug-in to monitor traffic.

People get into the radio hobby for different reasons. I personally like to listen mostly.

I humbly advise that if you want to be a HAM, check the radio bands chart and then use the cheap SDR to monitor the allowed bands that you are shooting for. This will give you a realistic idea of what is going on out there and help you decide if you would like to spend time and $$ to get in on it.

54 minutes ago, PugetSounder said:

You may already know this but here goes:

A cheap SDR will give you the ability to see what's out there on HF, VHF, UHF, slow scan TV, track satellites, listen to the space station etc. Additionally, you can listen to international shortwave broadcasts, pirate and spy stations. Listening to active NETS is super easy. -There is a lot more but it's TLDR.

You can program in all of the active frequencies within your antennas reach and use a scanner plug-in to monitor traffic.

People get into the radio hobby for different reasons. I personally like to listen mostly.

I humbly advise that if you want to be a HAM, check the radio bands chart and then use the cheap SDR to monitor the allowed bands that you are shooting for. This will give you a realistic idea of what is going on out there and help you decide if you would like to spend time and $$ to get in on it.

Great advice!