Baofeng UV-9G Issues

WRZD872

Question

Good day to all! Sorry if this question was asked previously but, what I have I feel is specific as I have not found a thread or question with this info. I am new to GMRS and received my Baofeng UV-9G yesterday (10-29-23). Upon opening, I found that I could not transmit on channel 15. I'd seen this as a specific problem before and the fix is to download the latest firmware. Also, I cannot receive any of the NOAA channels that are pre-programmed. I downloaded the updated firmware from the Baofeng site that is specific to this radio. Still, both problems exist. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

11 answers to this question

16 hours ago, WRZD872 said:

Good day to all! Sorry if this question was asked previously but, what I have I feel is specific as I have not found a thread or question with this info. I am new to GMRS and received my Baofeng UV-9G yesterday (10-29-23). Upon opening, I found that I could not transmit on channel 15. I'd seen this as a specific problem before and the fix is to download the latest firmware. Also, I cannot receive any of the NOAA channels that are pre-programmed. I downloaded the updated firmware from the Baofeng site that is specific to this radio. Still, both problems exist. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

If you bought it from Radioddity, they are pretty good at helping with problems.

I had the same issue with my UV-9G purchased through Amazon, Radioddity was the seller. Sent the first one back through the Amazon return process and got a second one, it also had the same issue. At that point I contacted Radioddity through the Amazon app and asked about a fix for the problem. Radioddity quickly offered another replacement from their warehouse so they could check it before shipping. This radio unfortunately shipped from China so it took about 2 weeks to get it but works on all channels.  

On 10/30/2023 at 12:51 PM, OffRoaderX said:

This is apparently a new feature on a few models.

I would recommend contacting the seller and tell them to send you one that works as advertised, or give back your money.  If you purchased on Amazon, this is very easy to do.

I just received 3 UV-9Gs this evening, and spent some serious bench time with them.  All 3 have this "feature".  No TX on Ch. 15, even after I tried a complete reset, entering 462.55 MHz as a simplex or repeater channel.  Nothing works.  It beeps when you hit the PTT and won't transmit.  I also tried using the latest Baofeng CPS and Chirp just to make sure.  No joy.

These came from Radioddity via Amazon.  So...I went to Radioddity's website and started a support ticket.  I feel badly for them.  Baofeng has probably loaded bad firmware at the factory, it escaped whatever QC they may or may not have.  Now Radioddity has to deal with all the customer returns!

This probably comes down to a single bit that accidentally got flipped in the "TX Allowed" table in the firmware that is the core OS of the radio.  My guess anyway.

Oh well, Amazon Returns, here we come.

The GMRS-9r’s that Abbree is selling have this same issue - it’s apparently enough of a “feature” that they have a posted video on the Amazon product page on how to fix it, assuming you can get the bootloader and file from them. (Hint… I have a copy of someone wants it).

As to the NOAA stations that are preprogrammed, if it’s anything like the GMRS-9r I got, all of the pre-set Frequencies were way off for the NOAA channels. A quick manual config in CHIRP took care of that for me.

I wouldn’t feel bad for Radioddity. They’ve known about this long enough to address it and yet they continue taking people’s money. By now they should have taken them off Amazon and posted a notice to keep people from wasting their money.  Once they clear the bad radios from their pipeline they should post another notice.

I agree it’s probably as simple as a bit flipped in firmware, but that’s what bugs are.  

On 10/30/2023 at 1:51 PM, OffRoaderX said:

This is apparently a new feature on a few models.

I would recommend contacting the seller and tell them to send you one that works as advertised, or give back your money.  If you purchased on Amazon, this is very easy to do.

We are seeing this issue on a few different models now. As I stated in the thread about this issue on the UV-5R GMRS radios, mine work fine on all channels. I bought mine from the Amazon Baofeng store as a two pack on 9 Oct 2023. I guess I should go buy a few lottery tickets from reading all the threads on the different models not working on channel 15.

On 11/4/2023 at 8:16 AM, WRZE995 said:

The GMRS-9r’s that Abbree is selling have this same issue - it’s apparently enough of a “feature” that they have a posted video on the Amazon product page on how to fix it, assuming you can get the bootloader and file from them. (Hint… I have a copy of someone wants it).

As to the NOAA stations that are preprogrammed, if it’s anything like the GMRS-9r I got, all of the pre-set Frequencies were way off for the NOAA channels. A quick manual config in CHIRP took care of that for me.

Yes please.

3 hours ago, WRUI421 said:

Yes please.

Apologies, I’m mobile for a while (business travel), but I posted the files

up in another thread in here around the same topic, probably can search for “GMRS-9R” And find it.