best ⅝ wave GMRS high gain NMO antenna

CyborgAlienWRYG738

Question

I'm not worried as much about cost as I am having the best long range NMO no ground plane GMRS antenna I can get, prefer at least ⅝ wave.

Nothing under 5db gain and it should also be able to do 2m. A plus if it can do: 136-180 VHF • 219-250 VHF • 350-512 UHF • 700-960 UHF quad-band, with GMRS being the necessity.

I've already wasted money on the Diamond and Tram junk, now I'm wanting the best. I'm using a magnet mount, as a necessity as well, albeit I'm open for a better model of it as well. I'm looking for at least 5" magnet for stability. Going on a leased Nissan Rogue, can't be permanent mount.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:27 AM, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

How's the magnet strength on that?

Its under the strength of the K40 or Wilson 1000 (which is extra strong for its size). I cant compare it to the Little Wil for I haven't had one before. But it feels like it will handle it, I just want to double check since I been out of the loop.

I calibrated the anytone. the SWR was on 1.02 and its drawing 22-1/2 watts.

21 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

First, I've had nothing good experiences with The Antenna Farm as well, and hope to see them get back on track in the new year.

Second, most of the mag mounts I've used have been the mxta12's, and they've worked well for me, both on that 32" 2x5/8 wave Browning, and the 36" long comet 2x4sr. They've hung on fine on the roof of my little truck even close to 90mph, along with dragging a signal stalk across all the ceiling beams in the 7' clearance parking structure at work (5 or 6 floors worth, depending where I found a spot). The only time it actually came off in the year I had it up was once, with a direct hit on the comet on a solid (2"+ diameter) tree branch

The Antenna Farm being closed doesn't help at all. I hope the owner is ok and recovers soon or someone else can take over until he can return. It's sad they couldn't find a way to keep it open in the interim. 

1 minute ago, WRZM228 said:

Its under the strength of the K40 or Wilson 1000 (which is extra strong for its size). O cant compare it to the Little Wil for I haven't had one before. But it feels like it will handle it, I just want to double check since I been out of the loop.

That's good to know, the Little Wil is just as strong as the Wilson 1000. The magnets on the 5"ers have over 100# magnets, compared to this 80# one. And these antennas are very different than the CB whips when you consider they have those attenuators on them about midway up that add to the drag coefficient.

8 minutes ago, WRZM228 said:

Its under the strength of the K40 or Wilson 1000 (which is extra strong for its size). I cant compare it to the Little Wil for I haven't had one before. But it feels like it will handle it, I just want to double check since I been out of the loop.

I calibrated the anytone. the SWR was on 1.02 and its drawing 22-1/2 watts. The Alinco is the same SWR and its drawings are real 50 watts. 

Great SWR! So did you change the antenna you were using? What's the power rating of the Anytone and which models are they again?

On 12/3/2023 at 11:28 AM, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

Great SWR! So did you change the antenna you were using? What's the power rating of the Anytone and which models are they again?

Wind back. The ft lbs of the magnets says 86 lbs. if thats any help. 

No I havent changed it. I was under 450 frequency when I checked it. I didnt want to cut the whip so I can exchange it for the other Laird we talked about.

The radio is Anytone AT-778 UV rated  25 watts drawing 23.5.

Reputable radio companies "that I know" (maybe more) like Cobra, President, Icom, Old Motorolas, Hid-high end Yaesu, etc. when they say 10 watts, its 10 watts or more and no less.

I have no experience in other radios besides I bought an entry level midland back in 1984, it smoked right in my hands. The cobra 19x (extry level) 10 --- light years ahead of those entry level midlands. "The Old Cobra's" were rated #1 in audio. You can easily get 150% or more modulation if it was done correctly. Thats why they were the kind of skips on AM and SSB. That's been set in stone along time ago.

22 minutes ago, WRZM228 said:

Wind back. The ft lbs of the magnets says 86 lbs. if thats any help. 

No I havent changed it. I was under 450 frequency when I checked it. I didnt want to cut the whip so I can exchange it for the other Laird we talked about.

The radio is Anytone AT-778 UV

rated  25 watts drawing 23.5.

Alinco D135-T rated 50 watts Drawing 50 

Which magnets? The CB antenna magnets or the Laird's? If the latter, it's hard for me to see without my glasses that really small print, (I'm on my phone,) and I can't wait until the end of the month to get to see the optometrist. Diabetes is playing havoc on my eyes lately. That being said, still isn't the 100+#s of the 5"ers. 

I thought the Anytone you talked about had lower power, it's another reason why I was considering the 578UV III for the power it can push, I also read that they're generally underpowered on the output, which 2W is hardly noticeable in dB, so it really doesn't matter.

The Alinco sounds like it can hold it's own, which is a good thing. 

16 minutes ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

Which magnets? The CB antenna magnets or the Laird's? If the latter, it's hard for me to see without my glasses that really small print, (I'm on my phone,) and I can't wait until the end of the month to get to see the optometrist. Diabetes is playing havoc on my eyes lately. That being said, still isn't the 100+#s of the 5"ers. 

I thought the Anytone you talked about had lower power, it's another reason why I was considering the 578UV III for the power it can push, I also read that they're generally underpowered on the output, which 2W is hardly noticeable in dB, so it really doesn't matter.

The Alinco sounds like it can hold it's own, which is a good thing. 

The RFMAX Magnamount that I use in the Laird is 86 ft. lbs. on specs. That's what Arcadian recommended me to use.

Heavy Duty Magnetic NMO Mount for CB, VHF, UHF, GMRS Radios with PL-259. RNMOM-195-SUM-B-12I-ST

When it cones to the radio, We'll just say, reputable US standards should meet or exceed specifications. Some Off shores can be a hit and miss. 

1 hour ago, WRZM228 said:

Reputable radio companies "that I know" (maybe more) like Cobra, President, Icom, Old Motorolas, Hid-high end Yaesu, etc. when they say 10 watts, its 10 watts or more and no less.

I have no experience in other radios besides I bought an entry level midland back in 1984, it smoked right in my hands. The cobra 19x (extry level) 10 --- light years ahead of those entry level midlands. "The Old Cobra's" were rated #1 in audio. You can easily get 150% or more modulation if it was done correctly. Thats why they were the kind of skips on AM and SSB. That's been set in stone along time ago.

CBs are different than Ham radios, apparently. Though from my understanding, past models of CB radios also had issues with power output, which is where the term "peak and tuning" the radios came from. A little bit of work and it's corrected.

I've never had a Midland that didn't burn up on me. Why I'm very hesitant to get one of their GMRS radios.

The Cobra 19 I have, (version IV,) isn't any better than the Midland, though at least it didn't fry, that I'm aware of. I've had just about every model of Cobra mobile they've ever produced and the 25's, 29's, and the 148's are their best models. Still, the Unidens, IMHO, sound better to me, though, aside from the 125, they're the same radios and have the same internals. (They don't, or at least didn',t make an equivalent to the 148.)

22 hours ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

CBs are different than Ham radios, apparently. Though from my understanding, past models of CB radios also had issues with power output, which is where the term "peak and tuning" the radios came from. A little bit of work and it's corrected.

I've never had a Midland that didn't burn up on me. Why I'm very hesitant to get one of their GMRS radios.

The Cobra 19 I have, (version IV,) isn't any better than the Midland, though at least it didn't fry, that I'm aware of. I've had just about every model of Cobra mobile they've ever produced and the 25's, 29's, and the 148's are their best models. Still, the Unidens, IMHO, sound better to me, though, aside from the 125, they're the same radios and have the same internals. (They don't, or at least didn',t make an equivalent to the 148.)

BTW: I ordered the Laird B4505CN. Its coming in on Thursday. I'll deal with the return of the other one the next day. I'm so busy at work and all the stuff right now. If you have any plans of buying something, I just wanna remind you that X'mas is just around the corner. I did what I had to do the whole year to get what I need before the traffic jam. I am predicting in the next 2-3 days, it might be a difficulty getting any orders for X'mas due to the holiday rush..

40 minutes ago, WRZM228 said:

BTW: I ordered the Laird B4505CN. Its coming in on Thursday. I'll deal with the return of the other one the next day. I'm so busy at work and all the stuff right now. If you have any plans of buying something, I just wanna remind you that X'mas is just around the corner. I did what I had to do the whole year to get what I need before the traffic jam. I am predicting in the next 2-3 days, it might be a difficulty getting any orders for X'mas due to the holiday rush..

Although I'm hoping to get what I can during the rush for companies to make it for next year, I don't worry about it I get it before Christmas at this point, as long as I can get it. With everything running low on stock, I'm already awaiting until next year on some things, that are no longer available to purchase to see if they ever return to the shelves or what's replacing them. As long as they can get purchased by my birthday, (the 19th,) I can usually get them before Christmas or New Year's shipped via FedEx.

3 hours ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

Although I'm hoping to get what I can during the rush for companies to make it for next year, I don't worry about it I get it before Christmas at this point, as long as I can get it. With everything running low on stock, I'm already awaiting until next year on some things, that are no longer available to purchase to see if they ever return to the shelves or what's replacing them. As long as they can get purchased by my birthday, (the 19th,) I can usually get them before Christmas or New Year's shipped via FedEx.

Hi,

yes I hear you. There are some things that I didnt want to buy but I was forced to because I can see whats going on with the economy. I'm not really sure where its heading in the next 5 year but I just don't to wait in the end that I couldn't even afford it. Its a good thing I have 2 jobs but even thous its still hard. On top of these communication gear that I got 75%, there are things that I needed to do at the house including emergency power backup, I got the generator that will fire up my house and I got it down somewhere. Anyways O can run all the lights on my house, the big refrigerators, 1 upright freezer, backup computer, 2 box fan, 1 heater furnace. No the AC nor microwave although I have a 3 large stock LPG, 20 gallon gas for car and generator in the shed, 2 burner in case our natural gas cut off. I can power up 1700 watts all the consumption breakdown I did in 4-1/2 to 5 days. My generator runs on dual gas or propane and I also have an orifice unit if I want to run it on natural gas......  Anyways I'll be back a bit later. I have to go down to FedEx to send something before it hits too late. Take it easy..

I didn

8 hours ago, WRZM228 said:

Hi,

yes I hear you. There are some things that I didnt want to buy but I was forced to because I can see whats going on with the economy. I'm not really sure where its heading in the next 5 year but I just don't to wait in the end that I couldn't even afford it. Its a good thing I have 2 jobs but even thous its still hard. On top of these communication gear that I got 75%, there are things that I needed to do at the house including emergency power backup, I got the generator that will fire up my house and I got it down somewhere. Anyways O can run all the lights on my house, the big refrigerators, 1 upright freezer, backup computer, 2 box fan, 1 heater furnace. No the AC nor microwave although I have a 3 large stock LPG, 20 gallon gas for car and generator in the shed, 2 burner in case our natural gas cut off. I can power up 1700 watts all the consumption breakdown I did in 4-1/2 to 5 days. My generator runs on dual gas or propane and I also have an orifice unit if I want to run it on natural gas......  Anyways I'll be back a bit later. I have to go down to FedEx to send something before it hits too late. Take it easy..

I didn

If I can get the financing worked out I'm going to see if I can get one as well. Hopefully sooner than later. I'm not sure that things will be the same in the next couple of months, let alone years.

I installed a Comet CA-2X4SRNMO antenna on my SxS hooked up to my Wouxun KG-XS20G last night. I tested the SWR using my Surecom meter. I got 1.1 on channels 1-7, 1.5 on channels 15-22 and 1.8 n the repeater channels. Others heard me clear at low power with the repeater 21.5 miles away.

2 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

I installed a Comet CA-2X4SRNMO antenna on my SxS hooked up to my Wouxun KG-XS20G last night. I tested the SWR using my Surecom meter. I got 1.1 on channels 1-7, 1.5 on channels 15-22 and 1.8 n the repeater channels. Others heard me clear at low power with the repeater 21.5 miles away.

I have to say, the new Tram mount, the Chrome one, model# 1240, is a much better mount, the antenna I have, also a Tram, model# 1173, I'm getting 1.5 on Chs 1-7, 1.0 on 8-14, 1.5 on 15-22 and 1.0 on all the repeaters using the Surecom Farzometer 2K. I wonder if Randy uses any different settings on his. The old Tram model# 1267 must be for something different. Since I couldn't get a decent SWR with any antenna using it. I'm going to try the Diamond's with it and see if that makes an improvement with them too. It's surprising what a difference a base alone can make, wonder if it's the cable or what?

On 12/5/2023 at 12:23 AM, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

If I can get the financing worked out I'm going to see if I can get one as well. Hopefully sooner than later. I'm not sure that things will be the same in the next couple of months, let alone years.

I finally got  the Laird B4505CN mobile antenna. I tuned it this morning and tested it. Amazing my mobile can transmit over 35 miles using a walkie-talkie over. I try to get the minimal  and in between SWR I can in the 462.550 (1:15) to 467.725 (1:6 SWR) . Cant be too ambitious and in reality I'm just gonna be around the 462 frequency. I'm just a bit bummed that the rod is not shoved all the way down to the base. I took off 1/8. Anyways using the walkie-talkie for a test run, I was able to find the clearest, less static mounting location where I can mount the the Anytone radio without detaching and and relocating the face. I cant wait to install this as soon as I finish programming some of the channels and the repeater. I can easily hit the repeater in 18 miles.  The only thing is one of the good repeater is is using DCS. I'm nit sure if my radio will connect to it. Although I have a setting to the tone number he has. The other thing I found out is when I was reading the radio manual, I'm required to connect it to a minimum of 12 amp so I can achieve the maximum steady output. It was drawing 23 watts on my 13.8 power supply at home. So it means, i wont be able to use a cigarette lighter socket. I have to wire it all the way to the battery.

4 hours ago, WRZM228 said:

I finally got  the Laird B4505CN mobile antenna. I tuned it this morning and tested it. Amazing my mobile can transmit over 35 miles using a walkie-talkie over. I try to get the minimal  and in between SWR I can in the 462.550 (1:15) to 467.725 (1:6 SWR) . Cant be too ambitious and in reality I'm just gonna be around the 462 frequency. I'm just a bit bummed that the rod is not shoved all the way down to the base. I took off 1/8. Anyways using the walkie-talkie for a test run, I was able to find the clearest, less static mounting location where I can mount the the Anytone radio without detaching and and relocating the face. I cant wait to install this as soon as I finish programming some of the channels and the repeater. I can easily hit the repeater in 18 miles.  The only thing is one of the good repeater is is using DCS. I'm nit sure if my radio will connect to it. Although I have a setting to the tone number he has. The other thing I found out is when I was reading the radio manual, I'm required to connect it to a minimum of 12 amp so I can achieve the maximum steady output. It was drawing 23 watts on my 13.8 power supply at home. So it means, i wont be able to use a cigarette lighter socket. I have to wire it all the way to the battery.

Good to know that it's a good antenna and works good for you. I'm definitely going to get one too, as soon as I get the money, until then my Tram is going to have to suffice. Considering how well it is doing. I get really good signals with it  SWR on the repeaters is 1.0-1.03 so I don't need anything else for now. When I get my mobile, I will get a new base and that antenna to go with it. I found the perfect base from them too, which has the perfect wiring for the GMRS band 

1 hour ago, CyborgAlienWRYG738 said:

Good to know that it's a good antenna and works good for you. I'm definitely going to get one too, as soon as I get the money, until then my Tram is going to have to suffice. Considering how well it is doing. I get really good signals with it  SWR on the repeaters is 1.0-1.03 so I don't need anything else for now. When I get my mobile, I will get a new base and that antenna to go with it. I found the perfect base from them too, which has the perfect wiring for the GMRS band 

That's excellent reading on your antenna.

The coverage on mine is  just 450 to 470. I was trying to get up to 467.700 and down. Mine wont go that wide unless I let the SWR go to 1:7 in the upper. But in reality most of my transmission is just on the 462 side. If I had a power mike, maybe they can fetch me a bit farther. Enchanted Forest is 39 miles away. I wish I had home antenna up but the mast is still on its way from shipping.  That's okay with me since its just a common item shipped on a holidays rush.  I pretty much have everything I need except for 1 still on the road. I have a 9mm that I ordered 2 weeks ago and they just sent it the other day. According to the tracking it got stuck in Portland. The last thing I wouldn't want is that thing gets delivered at the wrong address.... 

17 hours ago, WRZM228 said:

It was drawing 23 watts on my 13.8 power supply at home. 

Do you mean 23 amps or watts? If you're pulling only 23 watts, that is only a couple of amps at the most. What is your radio rated for RF Power Output? A radio on standy/idling and/or receiving normally won't exceed an amp and a half. What is your power draw when transmitting and how many RF watts output would that be?

On 12/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, WRZM228 said:

I'm required to connect it to a minimum of 12 amp so I can achieve the maximum steady output. It was drawing 23 watts on my 13.8 power supply at home. So it means, i wont be able to use a cigarette lighter socket. I have to wire it all the way to the battery.

The thing is that what you wrote is confusing.  If your radio draws 23 watts, the current at that time is 23 w/13.8 v, which is less than 2 amps.

15 hours ago, nokones said:

Do you mean 23 amps or watts? If you're pulling only 23 watts, that is only a couple of amps at the most. What is your radio rated for RF Power Output? A radio on standy/idling and/or receiving normally won't exceed an amp and a half. What is your power draw when transmitting and how many RF watts output would that be?

Nope, Kenny is exactly right.  

42 minutes ago, WRZM228 said:

Are you alright man? You must be doing something else besides drinking...Flame-Thrower1.gif.9b97728e20e3f1bf80a269c266368ad7.gif

So maybe you don’t understand what he explained?

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

The thing is that what you wrote is confusing.  If your radio draws 23 watts, the current at that time is 23 w/13.8 v, which is less than 2 amps.

Nope, Kenny is exactly right.  

So maybe you don’t understand what he explained?

To make it simple read your manual correctly. There must be a reason why you're using 20-30 amps than 2. Not unless if you wanna power up a 23-25 watt radio with a 2 amp wall-wart or less. I just wanna remind you that receive and transmit are 2 different power draw. But if you're happy with 2 amps, go for it. I'm not in the position tell you what to do. Yowhiee!Kick-In-The-Nuts1.gif.e865d431d0fc3beff3b170ec58816cff.gif

2 hours ago, WRZM228 said:

To make it simple read your manual correctly. There must be a reason why you're using 20-30 amps than 2. Not unless if you wanna power up a 23-25 watt radio with a 2 amp wall-wart or less. I just wanna remind you that receive and transmit are 2 different power draw. But if you're happy with 2 amps, go for it. I'm not in the position tell you what to do. Yowhiee!Kick-In-The-Nuts1.gif.e865d431d0fc3beff3b170ec58816cff.gif

You’re still missing the point.  You said that your manual said you must provide a 12 amp source. Then you said your radio draws 23 watts, a number that doesn’t make sense.  That’s what Kenny was telling you. Kenny explained that’s less than 2 amps.  Now you’re talking about your radio using 20-30 amps, numbers which still make no sense for a GMRS radio, even while transmitting.

My mobile ham radio outputs 100 watts of RF.  At 13.8 volts it does that while drawing 23 amps, which is a power consumption of 317.4 watts. That’s a power efficiency of 31.5%.  The rest of the power is mostly converted to heat and some light. This radio would require a direct connection to the battery.

During receive my radio draws 0.6 amps (at 13.8 v), which means it consumes 8.28 watts.

So, where did your “23 watt” figure come from?  Is that something you measured on an RF wattmeter?  If so, that’s not the power “draw” but rather the output power.

And if that’s the output power, then your radio probably doesn’t need a 12 amp circuit.  

12 amps would be a reasonable current requirement for a radio with a 50 watt RF output if it were as efficient/inefficient as my FT-891.

But, if your radio only puts out an actual 23 watts (RF Output), and if it operates at the same inefficiency level as mine (31.5% of the input power is radiated as RF power), then the actual power consumption while transmitting is 73 watts, which represents a current consumption of about 5.29 amps, a value that’s easily delivered by your cigarette lighter socket.

So Kenny was trying to get you to understand that you were using numbers and units that simply didn’t make sense the way you used them and in return you accused him of drinking.  

I can see why he might want to.