Yet another "You'll destroy your radio, kid!" review on Amazon.

WRQC527

Every time I see these they remind me of a recent mygmrs discussion revolving around the notion of blowing up your radio with high swr or no antenna and that "no one has ever said such a thing online ever". I'm sure there's a resident youtube channel host who may find humor in both the content of this review and the fact that the extra class operator has questionable spelling and grammar skills to go along with his pontificous reviews.

"I an extra class operator and have the proper equipment to measure such antennas on a proper ground plane and also under HT conditions as well. The following are my test results of the Radioddity RD-371 triband 144/222/440 antenna compared to my reference Diamond RH77CA 144/440 antenna. Both antennas were put under the same conditions during the testing. Eg. The same ground plane, coax, test equipment, location to objects, etc. *** UNDER NO CERCUMSTANCES TRANSMIT ON THE 222 mHz BAND UNING THE Radioddity RD-371 triband 144/222/440 antenna! You will destroy your radio in a very short time. The SWR is EXTREEMLY high. Advertising this antenna for Transmitting on the 1.25m band is FALCE ADVERTISING! Even as a dual band antenna this antennas SWR is poor on both the 2m and 70cm bands. The SWR needs to be under 1.5:1 for best performance even before field strength testing. I did not wish to burn my radios up so I did not even do a field strength test on it. I will be sending it beck for a refund. Buyer beware! Test your antenna or have someone who has the proper equipment test it out before you transmit on your radio. Beware of YOUTUBE videos that show some guy testing these antennas out and having good SWR results. Test them out yourself. I mostly buy these just so that I can test them out and review them. On RARE occasion I stumble across a good one and keep it. But a work of advice. Buy a Japan made antenna. The Chinese ones are garbage for the most part with few exceptions."

Impossible!  I have been assured by multiple people that have "....Been a licensed H.A.M. radio operator for [insert years here] years" that these people do not exist and NO H.A.M. operators are like this, and the certain youtubers just make up these stories.

7 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Impossible!  I have been assured by multiple people that have "....Been a licensed H.A.M. radio operator for [insert years here] years" that these people do not exist and NO H.A.M. operators are like this, and the certain youtubers just make up these stories.

Well, news flash, YOU have been lied to.  There are indeed dumbass ham operators that believe this crap and a number of GMRS guys that fall into this as well.  The biggest believer in this BS about SWR by far is CB operators. 

I have also come across the ones that think that any amount of cable loss that's not an absolute necessity is sinking an installation and the radio system will never talk without more than X dB of cable loss.  And these moron's will die on that hill as well with their beliefs. 

There was a time that being a ham operator actually meant that you had some level of technical ability and knowledge.  In fact it was a requirement to prove that knowledge during testing for a ham license.  That's not been the case in years.  Once the FOIA became a thing and the question pool for the tests were made into study guides for passing the test, there was no longer a need to have specific knowledge of radio, you just had to be able to memorize enough of the questions and answers to pass the test.  And these folks that get licensed now did just that and then through a total lack of any real knowledge, listen to wives tails of Whoa when it comes to cable loss and SWR and treat those lies as gospel and preach them to all that will listen.  And the reason they believe?  Because the dolt that is preaching the good word of SWR has been licensed for 6 weeks longer than they have.  

I don't understand the 'importance' of the length of time that someone has walked around with a ham license in their pocket. Old people have had drivers licenses for far longer in some instances, it doesn't mean that grandma should still be driving when she has run over 12 curbs, 4 dogs and a shrub or two in the front yard. 

Does it mean that you are some how a master of bating when you have been playing with yourself for 30 years?  No, it just means your old and lonely. And not much different mentally than most teenage boys. Other than they might get some at some point down the road.

The guys that had to actually construct a radio at the testing office to get their ham license (yes it was a thing once) are about 3 days older than the dirt that they will be buried in any day now, if they haven't been already. 

I will have been a ham operator for 30 years in April or 24.  And that don't mean crap.  Other than I got a ham license long ago.  It doesn't prove anything past my ability to fill out a forum every 10 years and send some money to the FCC with that forum and renew my license.  It's the same method used to renew a GMRS license, a commercial radio license or many other certificates that someone might have. 

What does prove out that I know something about radio and electronics?  Two years of electronics in high school with a state certificate of completion.  Three years of college with a degree in electronic repair and a degree in industrial electronics.  Fourteen years as a communications field technician designing, installing and repairing public safety communications system and 911 phone systems.  That would be a good starting point.  But, any skill that you are being paid to use, and have been paid to use for more than 2 years typically means you must know something about it,  because most employers would have fired you in that time frame if you weren't any good at what you are being paid to do.

Again, just my personal opinion. 

4 minutes ago, WRKC935 said:

Well, news flash, YOU have been lied to.  There are indeed dumbass ham operators that believe this crap and a number of GMRS guys that fall into this as well.  The biggest believer in this BS about SWR by far is CB operators. 

I have also come across the ones that think that any amount of cable loss that's not an absolute necessity is sinking an installation and the radio system will never talk without more than X dB of cable loss.  And these moron's will die on that hill as well with their beliefs. 

There was a time that being a ham operator actually meant that you had some level of technical ability and knowledge.  In fact it was a requirement to prove that knowledge during testing for a ham license.  That's not been the case in years.  Once the FOIA became a thing and the question pool for the tests were made into study guides for passing the test, there was no longer a need to have specific knowledge of radio, you just had to be able to memorize enough of the questions and answers to pass the test.  And these folks that get licensed now did just that and then through a total lack of any real knowledge, listen to wives tails of Whoa when it comes to cable loss and SWR and treat those lies as gospel and preach them to all that will listen.  And the reason they believe?  Because the dolt that is preaching the good word of SWR has been licensed for 6 weeks longer than they have.  

I don't understand the 'importance' of the length of time that someone has walked around with a ham license in their pocket. Old people have had drivers licenses for far longer in some instances, it doesn't mean that grandma should still be driving when she has run over 12 curbs, 4 dogs and a shrub or two in the front yard. 

Does it mean that you are some how a master of bating when you have been playing with yourself for 30 years?  No, it just means your old and lonely. And not much different mentally than most teenage boys. Other than they might get some at some point down the road.

The guys that had to actually construct a radio at the testing office to get their ham license (yes it was a thing once) are about 3 days older than the dirt that they will be buried in any day now, if they haven't been already. 

I will have been a ham operator for 30 years in April or 24.  And that don't mean crap.  Other than I got a ham license long ago.  It doesn't prove anything past my ability to fill out a forum every 10 years and send some money to the FCC with that forum and renew my license.  It's the same method used to renew a GMRS license, a commercial radio license or many other certificates that someone might have. 

What does prove out that I know something about radio and electronics?  Two years of electronics in high school with a state certificate of completion.  Three years of college with a degree in electronic repair and a degree in industrial electronics.  Fourteen years as a communications field technician designing, installing and repairing public safety communications system and 911 phone systems.  That would be a good starting point.  But, any skill that you are being paid to use, and have been paid to use for more than 2 years typically means you must know something about it,  because most employers would have fired you in that time frame if you weren't any good at what you are being paid to do.

Again, just my personal opinion. 

TL;DR ...
I thought you blocked me? Let me know if you need help with the block-feature

2 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

TL;DR ...
I thought you blocked me? Let me know if you need help with the block-feature

Get over yourself dude.  Never said I blocked you specifically.  Hell I'm Batman and your the Joker.  We need each other.  It's a love hate relationship.  Where on a rare occasion when the stars align, we might actually agree on something. 

But we do have a symbiotic relationship where one of us is the host and the other is the parasite.  We just can't agree on who is who.  But that's all right.  You'll keep making my butt itch and I will keep giving you headaches.  It's all good.

The thing that kills me about these guys, like the one being discussed is this:

He BOUGHT every piece of equipment he has, makes no bones about it.  "my reference Diamond RH77CA 144/440 antenna."

I build better antennas than I can buy.

This guy has never BUILT his own antenna, He has never MARS modded a radio, he has never done anything but bought  his "expensive" gear.   I have, many, many times I've run radios perfectly over long distances using cable TV cable, 75ohm.  Theres a secret to it..lol

I have known EXACTLY one extra class HAM that knew his shit. I know another that calls me weekly to tell him how to operate his rig.

The main reason I am not a HAM, I do me.. I am not interested in "helping" that Extra class moron set up his radios, antennas, towers, grounding, explaining SWR AND reflection, propagation,  polarization, resonance, etc. etc. to him.. or her..  because they managed rote memorization.