Antenna recommendations

KiloFoxtrot

Which radio are you using would be the first question? Then are you having problems with the stock one? Not all stock antennas suck. Most aftermarket antennas get better range because they are longer but that only matters if the stock one is not reaching where you need it to. Quite often the stock one will work just fine.

I have a BTECH 5 watt handheld and the stock antenna, the 701G, and the 771G.  For me in my non-scientific testing (my friend staying put on high ground and me moving further and further away and testing each antenna), the stock and 701G are very similar but the 771G is better by abut ~30%.  Of course, that will vary from user to user, but I use my stock or 701G when within 1.5 miles or so, and my 771G for greater simplex or repeaters.

4 hours ago, WRWE456 said:

Which radio are you using would be the first question? Then are you having problems with the stock one? Not all stock antennas suck. Most aftermarket antennas get better range because they are longer but that only matters if the stock one is not reaching where you need it to. Quite often the stock one will work just fine.

I agree. And knowing what radio he has will help. I find the Nagoya 771G works better than stock on my Baofeng radios but I didn't notice much difference when trying the 771G on my Wouxun 935G. The stock 935G antenna is a good one.

40 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

I agree. And knowing what radio he has will help. I find the Nagoya 771G works better than stock on my Baofeng radios but I didn't notice much difference when trying the 771G on my Wouxun 935G. The stock 935G antenna is a good one.

Perfect example.