Nube question

Guest Todd

Just getting into the whole GMRS world.

I obtain my GMRS license and a buddy gets his license.

We are 100 miles apart and there is a repeater that is half way between us claiming to have a 100 mile broadcast range. If we get permission from that repeaters owner, we would then be able to communicate with each other? 

Is my thinking correct? 

Would we be able to use the lowly Baofengs? 

Thank you in advance.

7 minutes ago, Guest Todd said:

We are 100 miles apart and there is a repeater that is half way between us claiming to have a 100 mile broadcast range. If we get permission from that repeaters owner, we would then be able to communicate with each other? 

Is my thinking correct? 

Thank you in advance.

Theoretically yes. UHF (GMRS frequencies) is line-of-sight for the most part. If you both can reach and open the repeater than you will be able to communicate. If there are trees, buildings, hills between you and the repeater you may not be able to hit the repeater. 50 miles is doable with a handheld under the right conditions and with an unobscured line of sight to the repeater.

Can you communicate? Maybe. You're both at the very fringe of the repeater's claimed range. With Baofeng HTs? Doubtful unless you both have absolutely clear line of sight between you and the repeater. And this is not just an issue with "lowly" Baofengs. It's an issue with any (roughly) 5-watt handheld. You would have better luck with a mobile radio that puts out more wattage. As with everything radio-related, your results may vary.

Keep in mind repeaters are frequently on hills and mountains with higher output than an HT or some mobile radios. Their hight and power is an advantage to reach further so it may reach you but you may or may not reach it. This line of sight tool may give you an idea of your paths to the repeater. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Guest Todd said:

Is my thinking correct? 

Thank you in advance.

If you both have a good radios that get out and both are able to hit repeater, then yes.