Have i made a mistake?

WRZV454

I have been reading some post in the forums about how GMRS is more of a "bring your own party" platform, followed by reply's that may support this. I do not know anyone personally that has their GMRS license and was hoping to be allowed access to a local repeater as to test new and upgraded gear, learn from them, and possibly meet some good people. Oddly when checking the status of my request for access, it shows i have no pending request. Not sure what i have missed here? Or, could it be that the above mentioned post are correct? I had planned on building my own base station and repeater to help others communicate with GMRS. Appreciate any replies. Happy Holidays to Everyone!

As I recently posted to another thread:

4 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

I notice a vocal minority on this Forum has taken it upon themselves to attempt to dissuade GMRS users from "chatting" with other GMRS users who are not their family members, friends, or happen to drive a kidney masher with a strange nickname (or NOT!).

You paid your $35, now go forth, within the structure of the FCC Part 95 rules, and enjoy your radio!

One prominent YouTube GMRS Influencer mistook this post as directed at him and took exception to it in his jocular style (the misunderstood reference was to family members, friends and "off-road jeep drivers")!

But in reality you are fine to do what you want with GMRS so long as you stay within the Part 95 Rules.

If you build it, they will come!

@WRZV454 While I do think GMRS is more of a bring your own contacts compared to ham that doesn’t mean you can’t meet contacts via GMRS. I certainly have. Don’t be discouraged by on line bantering. 
As for the “no pending request” I believe the website is buggy sometimes. I sent a request once, received a response and yet the site said there was no pending request. You can try again. One repeater near you looks like the owner hasn’t been logged in for a couple months. You may need to be patient. They may not have seen your request. Perhaps you could try sending a request via snail mail if they don’t respond. 
Happy Holidays, good luck and 73’s

While SOME might think that you need to bring your own group to the party so to speak, and chatting it up with other users isn't the thing to be doing, there are those of us that believe that's a lot of BS.

While don't have near the number of repeaters that some do in Indiana or Illinois, I am growing the system in Ohio as I can.  And our rules are pretty simple.  Some ask that you gain permission for the use of their repeaters but grant to all comers, and then there are others like me that take the approach of it you have a license, by all means use it and I will speak to you if you are NOT using it correctly otherwise have at it and enjoy.  Mind you that repeater system reaches across 4 states and covers most of Indiana, much of Illinois, and parts of Ohio.  And we all work together to make sure it's available for all that are willing to use it and have a license to do so. 

I was one who mentioned bring your own contacts. While that is true to a degree that shouldn't stop you from trying to make contacts if you want to. Pointing that out was to try to help explain why you may not be hearing much radio traffic. It was not meant to be a discouragement. Some areas have very little radio traffic and other areas have a lot. As someone else mentioned you can get a couple of cheap radios and let people use them that might be even slightly interested.  

I got into GMRS because my family and friends had no interest in getting a ham license. A long, long time ago I got ham license to use as a communication tool, not to make contacts. I keep my amateur license current but very rarely use the amateur bands. GMRS is a good tool. Use it how you want and try to have fun.  

1 hour ago, WRHS218 said:

I was one who mentioned bring your own contacts. While that is true to a degree that shouldn't stop you from trying to make contacts if you want to. Pointing that out was to try to help explain why you may not be hearing much radio traffic. It was not meant to be a discouragement. Some areas have very little radio traffic and other areas have a lot. As someone else mentioned you can get a couple of cheap radios and let people use them that might be even slightly interested.  

I've said the same in the past as well...not to discourage, but to moderate expectations. Some areas are a lot more social, especially where there are linked systems.

Mine is a bit lower activity, a little repeater chatter but other than the machine run by the ham club, not much "outside the group" traffic.

There are none in range of my house. I can hit quite a few when I travel out of the mountains. If I throw a roll up antenna into a tree I can sometimes open a repeater across the Valley almost 90 miles. I'm at a little over 3300 feet elevation and the repeater is above 4000 feet. There is a ridge between me and the valley that blocks everything by 100-150 feet. 

On 12/23/2023 at 9:28 PM, WRHS218 said:

I was one who mentioned bring your own contacts...  

3 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

There are none [repeaters] in range of my house. I can hit quite a few when I travel out of the mountains. If I throw a roll up antenna into a tree I can sometimes open a repeater across the Valley almost 90 miles. I'm at a little over 3300 feet elevation and the repeater is above 4000 feet. There is a ridge between me and the valley that blocks everything by 100-150 feet. 

Hence a predilection for recommending others to bring their own contacts!

Merry Christmas!

13 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

You are correct. I am a moron and know nothing. 

Happy New Year.

Not at all: you live in the foothills of the Sierras.

Your experience of not having others nearby you (other than family and friends), nor repeaters that you can reach, does not necessarily translate to the experience that others may encounter; for example, here in Los Angeles.

On 12/26/2023 at 8:18 AM, WRYS709 said:

Not at all: you live in the foothills of the Sierras.

Your experience of not having others nearby you (other than family and friends), nor repeaters that you can reach, does not necessarily translate to the experience that others may encounter; for example, here in Los Angeles.

You are correct. My experience in the mountains does not necessarily equate to other areas. My time spent in other areas probably equates more. I didn't mention any repeaters in my area, you did. Since I said I couldn't hit a repeater from my home any experience I have would have to be other areas. I gave my experience in a large metro area. I have driven through the Phoenix area and heard a lot of traffic on the local repeaters that are open. That is a very large area. I have been in Flagstaff where there are several repeaters with a good reach and heard nothing even when I asked for routing assistance. After not hearing any replies I asked for a radio check and got a response. The gentleman who responded was local and stated there wasn't much radio traffic with exception of people travelling I-40. The DFW area in northern Texas has many repeaters and I was surprised by the lack of use. I have family in Southeast Texas and with the exception of the Houston Metro area there isn't much traffic on the open repeaters and even some club repeater I had access to. All of this is anecdotal, of course, but would lead to said "predilection". I'm not trying to argue, just trying to clear up the assumptions you made. As in everything in life, YMMV.

As an aside, I can hit two 2m and a 70cm repeaters in the mountain area and with the exception of a couple of scheduled nets they are quiet.And yes, I know it is different in Southern California.

"What we got here, is failure to communicate!"

And as such, our discussion has drifted from the OP's original question and my original answer.

Reviewing our portion of this thread, I could go on and continue with "point/counterpoint."

But instead I will agree with you that: "All of this is anecdotal, of course, ... As in everything in life, YMMV"

And move on...

Happy New Year!

6 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

[...]

[...] with the exception of a couple of scheduled nets they are quiet. And yes, I know it is different in Southern California.

That might also depend on the part of "SoCal" you are looking at:

I am living, working, and monitoring in the High Desert area of Victorville and Barstow (several club repeaters with great coverage) and most of the time calls remain unanswered...

The only repeater that is "somewhat" busy is covering our area and the (more densely populated) inland empire - but the emphasis is on "somewhat."

"Have I made a mistake?" -- that is a loaded question: No, the airwaves are not buzzing with 2m, 70cm, and GMRS chatter. - BUT - look at us! We are meeting here and not "on the air..."

Reasons?!? Who knows ... Maybe: The irony of Hams on social media complaining about the lack of radio traffic ?!?

Edited by WRXD372
grammar :)

On 12/23/2023 at 7:53 PM, WRZV454 said:

I have been reading some post in the forums about how GMRS is more of a "bring your own party" platform, followed by reply's that may support this. I do not know anyone personally that has their GMRS license and was hoping to be allowed access to a local repeater as to test new and upgraded gear, learn from them, and possibly meet some good people. Oddly when checking the status of my request for access, it shows i have no pending request. Not sure what i have missed here? Or, could it be that the above mentioned post are correct? I had planned on building my own base station and repeater to help others communicate with GMRS. Appreciate any replies. Happy Holidays to Everyone!

I have brought this up before not in a "dont do it way" but more in a let us set expectations way. I have in no way intended for it to be a discouragement at all from trying equipment or talking to random people I have done both of these things. You are free to do whatever you want to do with GMRS, (as long as you follow the rules). I just dont want to see people disappointed when no one replies to their call to talk. 

This is very helpful and encouraging information! Being a brand new GMRS user, i mainly wanted/needed clarification on the expectations for use, which seem straight forward. For myself, i did not get into this with thoughts or hopes that i would meet or socialize with large amounts of people. that being said, not against it either. I can see where this could be a lot of fun, especially with groups or individuals that you may know personally. I would like to Thank Everyone for their kind words and positive feedback to this thread. Happy New Year to All.

Side note: When i started this thread, i had submitted a request for access to a local repeater in my area but had not heard back from them. i was advised to have patience and give it some time. well, I'm happy to say. You were correct! I was granted access today.  Thanks again everyone. Cheers!