Call Sign Look Up and Personal Info.

Why does the FCC allow people to see name and address with the call sign look up? It seems to me it's a violation of personal privacy.  I know a governor got in trouble for releasing the names and addresses of CCW holders so how can the FCC get away with it. They could at the very least block your home address and just show name and maybe city and state but the home address shouldn't be posted.

What do y'all think? How can we make them change this?

We live in a subdivision so we already have to walk over to our group of mailboxes the way it is, not going to pay for a P.O.Box that'd be miles away.

I just don't think the FCC should put the street address. I'm fine with city and state.  I just don't see why they feel the need to make the street address public.

4 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

We live in a subdivision so we already have to walk over to our group of mailboxes the way it is, not going to pay for a P.O.Box that'd be miles away.

I just don't think the FCC should put the street address. I'm fine with city and state.  I just don't see why they feel the need to make the street address public.

So do like Randy suggested and sign up with HamRegistry. 

Here’s the official response to your concerns:

https://www.fcc.gov/managing-director/privacy-transparency/privacy-act-information

2 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

Why does the FCC allow people to see name and address with the call sign look up? It seems to me it's a violation of personal privacy.  I know a governor got in trouble for releasing the names and addresses of CCW holders so how can the FCC get away with it. They could at the very least block your home address and just show name and maybe city and state but the home address shouldn't be posted.

I personally know two people who use their business addresses on FCC records. At least they're reasonably sure no one will show up at their house. I agree though, the FCC posting your street address with your license isn't the best idea. 

15 hours ago, WRUE951 said:

And even worse…. You know how easy it is to acquire the database?   

I know it use to be just downloadable.  I know certain resellers used it to send their catalogs to new hams. 

Haven't done anything with it in 7 or 8 years....is it still a free download or do you have to pay for it now?

On 1/11/2024 at 9:05 AM, OffRoaderX said:

You can use a PO box, or even cheaper, a service like HamRegistry.  Use coupon-code NOTARUBICON for a discount when you sign up!

With all due respect to Randy and his voluminous research for his videos, on this one I suggest that more due diligence is needed on using a PO Box or even HamRegistry to achieve "privacy" from the FCC database.  In my experience, these suggested solutions are not 100% fail-safe; others may well be.

54 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

In my experience, these suggested solutions are not 100% fail-safe; others may well be.

None are 100% fail-safe.. If you want to 100% fail-safely hide your information from any person, agency or situation, then the only way to accomplish that is to go off-grid, not get a license of any kind, and do a whole lot more stuff.

If all you want to do is prevent the average lazy radio-stalker from easily and quickly finding your home address when all they know about you is your callsign, then a PO Box or HamRegistry is plenty good enough.

There is no such thing as privacy in the digital age. Especially with cell phones and tablets, etc. Even newer cars are just computers on wheels that track you all of the time (just like your phone). And most of the cameras seen at intersections, etc also have license plate scanners built in.

If you served in the US military since 1993, then the government also has your DNA on file. And don't think for a minute that your information is safe on all the different DNA ancestry websites either.

If you have ever had any type of security clearance to work with the federal government then they have your life story on file.

What I am getting at is it is quite easy to track people down and/or get their personal information now days. If you are that worried about it, then throw away all of your electronic devices, to include phones, tablets, computers, and newer vehicles. Then you need to go off grid an not use any banks along with paying for everything with cash only.

PS: Yes Missouri released the entire list of conceal carry permits to the feds years ago without permission. And yes those that released said information did get into trouble.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:57 AM, WSAA635 said:

According to my knowledge, the FCC gives individuals an option, to use Physical Address or a POB.  As far as other people seeing Names.  That one, is over my pay grade.

44 minutes ago, Adamdaj said:

According to my knowledge, the FCC gives individuals an option, to use Physical Address or a POB.  As far as other people seeing Names.  That one, is over my pay grade.

You're right about the PO box option. Many people I know, many people I look up on QRZ.com, and my own club repeater, N6CRA, all have PO boxes instead of street addresses. But these days, even without the help of the FCC, anyone can Google your name and probably find out where you live, and buttloads of other information you probably didn't even know was out there. Displaying your name on the FCC database isn't giving people any confidential information, it's just making things a little easier for them.

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2024 at 10:51 PM, WRYZ926 said:

There is no such thing as privacy in the digital age. Especially with cell phones and tablets, etc. Even newer cars are just computers on wheels that track you all of the time (just like your phone). And most of the cameras seen at intersections, etc also have license plate scanners built in.

If you served in the US military since 1993, then the government also has your DNA on file. And don't think for a minute that your information is safe on all the different DNA ancestry websites either.

If you have ever had any type of security clearance to work with the federal government then they have your life story on file.

What I am getting at is it is quite easy to track people down and/or get their personal information now days. If you are that worried about it, then throw away all of your electronic devices, to include phones, tablets, computers, and newer vehicles. Then you need to go off grid an not use any banks along with paying for everything with cash only.

PS: Yes Missouri released the entire list of conceal carry permits to the feds years ago without permission. And yes those that released said information did get into trouble.

This is not a good reason to *not* try to protect your personal information from the public when you can. Personal privacy is not an all-or-nothing situation.

You know what really erks me,   Getting notices from health providers or credit card companies, (I’ve gotten two in last 10 months) advising you they experienced a data breach and your personal information, including name, address, sss Number, Driver Lic Number was among information breached,   And all they do is say “sorry”. 

2 minutes ago, WRUE951 said:

You know what really erks me,   Getting notices from health providers or credit card companies, (I’ve gotten two in last 10 months) advising you they experienced a data breach and your personal information, including name, address, sss Number, Driver Lic Number was among information breached,   And all they do is say “sorry”. 

You werent even offered that year of free credit monitoring?

Thats crap monitoring, but they dont even throw that steaming pile at you anymore just proves that they dont care, IMHO.

1 hour ago, WRXR255 said:

You werent even offered that year of free credit monitoring?

Thats crap monitoring, but they dont even throw that steaming pile at you anymore just proves that they dont care, IMHO.

Yea, they did offer that, but signing up required a credit card.__ even though it’s free for a year 

I asked QRZ to delete my record from their database for privacy reasons. They did. If you look up my callsign, it says it does not exist. Funny how many hams I work on the air that tell me I'm using an illegal callsign now - as if QRZ is the official keeper of callsigns. I tell them to look it up on the FCC database and get back to me if it bothers them that much.