Baofeng UV9G/ Channel 15

Merky1761

Question

I just got a Baofeng UV9G and it has the Channel 15 issue with not transmitting.  I am using Chirp with a MacBook Pro.   When I connect the radio to Chirp the firmware versions listed is a bunch of ??????? marks.  I tried to download the Channel 15 fix but

IOS can't open it.  Is this download a Windows only file?  I don't want to send it back if I can get it to work.

Thankyou, 

17 answers to this question

I can't say in your particular case but I had a situation once where, I upgraded chirp, then tried to set duplex to off on some channels, and chirp was filling those cells with a bunch of ???. Within 2 or 3 days, there was a new version of chirp again and after I upgraded chirp the problem went away.

This a firmware file you download from Baofeng and the file is the full package containing the installer and the update to fix transmit on channel 15.  You do need to do this on a PC.  I did it on a Win 11 machine and worked perfect.  Just follow the instructions that come in the file and you should be good.  Hope this helps.

8 hours ago, WRZX444 said:

This a firmware file you download from Baofeng and the file is the full package containing the installer and the update to fix transmit on channel 15.  You do need to do this on a PC.  I did it on a Win 11 machine and worked perfect.  Just follow the instructions that come in the file and you should be good.  Hope this helps.

I got a windows desktop to use and downloaded the software,  it did not work,  everything was blank on the dropdown boxes except the location of the usb com port,  the other two boxes were in Chinese.  I followed the pictures but like I said there was no option in the drop down boxes and when I clicked the last tab ( as the pic showed) it gave me an hour glass and the closed out the program.  I tried this 5 different times.   Its packed up going back to the seller.  I ordered a Woxuxun KG 935 plus.

Thanks for all the replies....

8 hours ago, WRZX444 said:

thanks, I will try to see if I can get a windows platform to try. S o those ??? marks I see on the filmware line in Chirp is normal?  Is there a way to view the current filmware by using the radio keypad?  

13 hours ago, WRZX444 said:

@Merky1761 Not sure if I'm tagging you correctly but you will be EXTREMELY happy with the Woxuxun KG 935 plus!!!  With all my testing, I always fall back on that solid radio and ow also the Baofeng UV17 Pro GPS but that's another topic.

21 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

There is probably somewhere to change the default language to English.

If you link me to this firmware software, I will give it a look in Windows.

thanks for the help but it's on its way back to the seller so no need to look into it since I am going with KG 935 Plus.  

18 hours ago, WRZF646 said:

I have exactly the same problem with my UV-9G. I thought I might have done something,  but since you are having the same problem,  maybe it is the radio? 

This is just one of several threads describing this same problem.  It has been a known problem for the past few months, yet people continue buying them.  Some people send them back and get something else.  Others download new firmware and fix it theirselves, thus enabling the manufacturer to continue sending out radios that don’t fully work.

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

This is just one of several threads describing this same problem.  It has been a known problem for the past few months, yet people continue buying them.  Some people send them back and get something else.  Others download new firmware and fix it theirselves, thus enabling the manufacturer to continue sending out radios that don’t fully work.

I'm curious to know if it is the same vendor or different vendors selling radios with this issue. And yes we have seen this problem numerous times over the last few months.

13 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Lookin back, I must have gotten lucky. I ordered a pair of Baofeng UV-5R GMRS radios from the Baofeng Store on Amazon on 9 Oct 2023. I haven't had any issues with either radio.

That’s a different model.