Scanners

WSAC739

Which scanner would cover all frequencies available to listen to    I have an old radio snack pro-44 handheld works like new but I believe there is more I could be hearing

Not looking for something that will break the piggy bank?

7 minutes ago, WSAC739 said:

Which scanner would cover all frequencies available to listen to    I have an old radio snack pro-44 handheld works like new but I believe there is more I could be hearing

Not looking for something that will break the piggy bank?

Any scanner that covers DC to Daylight should fit the bill.  Can you narrow it down? 

SDS 200. Is what I was looking at  but that's 500-600$  just was wandering if anyone had something similar under 200$   and maybe what they think about the SDR PLAY. Radio scanners.    I'm just getting back into this and it looks like they added slot to the spectrum ????

Really depends on what you looking to listen to. If its public safety and trunking systems the SDS series is about whats there. There are older BCT15 or 996P2 but they all have drawbacks. For air my BCT15 is a solid unit. SDR is great but takes some knowledge in software and scans different than a scanner. In additon requires a computer on all the time to scan. 

If you need to take it with you, SDS series is about the standard as it has GPS options to adjust your lists as you move, plus it handles the simulcast most trunking systems have. If you don't need digital trunking, there are some less expensive unidens that could work. If you are just listening at home, I use an AirspyR2 on a computer with SDR Trunk software. 

Are you trying to listen in on a digital system? Pickin’s are slim for those. Limited to Uniden basically, which sucks because they aren’t good radios. They’re $600 for a decoding codec in a radio with a silicon labs radio chip and bad front end, all housed in sub par plastic injection mold casing.. I’ve been a hold out for that reason..

If you’re interested in an EXCELLENT and modern (still in production) analog unit, look for the Alinco DJ-X11. Triple conversion superhet. Shortwave all the way to 1.3ghz. Built like a Motorola.. Won’t overload connected to big outdoor antennas.

1 hour ago, WRWE456 said:

The Alinco looks like a great radio, just read a couple of reviews. However I could not find it in stock anywhere with a casual search. Discontinued?

Wow you're right! they seem to be VERY RECENTLY discontinued. Not in stock at DX engineering, where I got mine less than a year ago.

Well I'll sell you mine for $2,500.

Fortunately for me the rural area I live in is still analog for most everything including Sheriff ,EMS and fire which is mainly what I am interested in.

I get by just fine with a Uniden BC125AT hand held. I have three of them. Cost $130. I think was what I paid.