Wouxun KG-UVD1P is just what I've been looking for.

WSAA635

First, let me say that I'm no NotaRubicon(aka Randy)so please don't judge my videos too harshly. 

Second, I'm as pleased as a pig in slop with my new KG-UVD1P. 

It does everything I need it to do and does it simply enough that my brain doesn't hurt after messing with it. Here's a little video I made for my channel. 

I was at a local Ham swap a couple of years ago. One of those radios was on a table. I picked it up to look at it. The guy said I could have it. Didn't even want any money for it. Just take it away. I did have to spend a few bucks to get a charger base for it since the one in the box was missing.

I programmed it up. It seemed to work OK and that's about the end of my experience with it. It's packed away on a shelf along with a bunch of other radios.

large.934916052_RadioCollection.JPG.2727f14088196f2a405416188f58f059.JPG.8f3c636c4b5aa40c8a830807fa958d0b.JPG

I have the documentation for it, brochures, FCC Grant, user manual and service manual with schematics.

KG-UVD1P.zip

1 hour ago, Lscott said:

large.934916052_RadioCollection.JPG.2727f14088196f2a405416188f58f059.JPG.8f3c636c4b5aa40c8a830807fa958d0b.JPG

Nice to see that Kenwood TH-79A there, too!  

I have a box full of 2 TH-22s, a 79a that works and one that doesn't, the base charger, a collection of rechargeable battery packs of various sizes, voltages and amps, and the original headset with VOX

Brings back memories of the 90s!

11 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Nice to see that Kenwood TH-79A there, too!  

I have a box full of 2 TH-22s, a 79a that works and one that doesn't, the base charger, a collection of rechargeable battery packs of various sizes, voltages and amps, and the original headset with VOX

Brings back memories of the 90s!

I got a super good deal on the TH-79A at a swap. Couldn't pass it up.

https://forums.mygmrs.com/gallery/image/253-th-79ajpg/?context=new

Just picked up a second one. I plan on doing a video in the near future after I've lived with it for a bit talking about the very few negatives I've found, all of which are very minor things.  All in all I've very happy with the UVD1P, for a SuperHet, Dual Channel, VHF/UHF radio for $115 it's hard to ask for anything more.

I'd love to see Randy do a video on this radio some day. I think he may like it even better than the 805G and 905G that he likes.

The UV9PX is totally different. The display and a lot of other things are nothing like the UVD1P.

I know that "some people" have issues with using a "HAM" radio on GMRS and other frequencies but I really doubt I'll end up in Federal Prison for using one in the middle of the desert. 

Bottom line is I really like the radio and for the price it's hard to beat.

It just seems odd to me that basically the same radio can be advertised as a "HAM" radio and a "GMRS" radio simply because it's locked to that frequency and it has the FCC Stamp of Approval.  

As long as I only Tx on the frequency I'm licensed for equipment shouldn't matter that much.

8 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

As long as I only Tx on the frequency I'm licensed for equipment shouldn't matter that much.

I agree with you especially in light of the "life or property" clause. I would hate to be on a GMRS radio, bleeding out, can hear hams talking, but not be able to ask them for help.

7 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

I agree with you especially in light of the "life or property" clause. I would hate to be on a GMRS radio, bleeding out, can hear hams talking, but not be able to ask them for help.

Most of my Ham radios have the "MARS/CAP" mod done for out of band operation. Is it legal to operate like that, no, but as you said when it's your life, or somebody else, who cares about a FCC fine. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Some Hams have a major problem with people modifying their radios for out of band operation, and will refuse to use one. They forget you don't have to use it out of band. In fact not too long ago most radios had analog VFO's and could very easily go out of band. It 's the operator's responsibility to know the band limits and stay within them. Hams have gotten lazy and depend on the radio's firmware to keep operations within the band limits now days.

Now on the practical side of using modified Ham gear out of band. The radios will very likely have filters on the output designed for the "official" frequency range for Ham. That's to comply with the FCC's emission requirements. Once you try running outside of the filter range the power can drop off very rapidly. It all depends on how tight the filters are. In some cases it just isn't really worth it. For example the Icom IC706MKIIG the power output at 462MHz is already low. When you get to 467MHz it's basically useless, you get as much from an HT or more. Other radios models when modified might do better.

IC-706MKIIG Freqequency Mod Power Output.pdf

Randy did a good video about TX from a HAM radio on GMRS frequencies and FCC fines and in a nut shell NO ONE has gotten a fine in the last 14 years for using a HAM radio as a GMRS radio. The FCC just doesn't care. Also, they're not Laws, they're Rules and Regulations.  

As fare as the UVD1P, it's designed for 136-174MHz and 350-470MHz so there should be zero power loss on GMRS and MURS frequencies.  

As GMRS folks we should be a bit more relaxed about stuff and not as "legalistic" as all those Sad Hams are about things.

58 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

Also, they're not Laws, they're Rules and Regulations.  

If you want to dispute an FCC fine you have to go before an "Administrative Law Judge". Lots of the bureaucratic government agencies have these.    

28 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

I have modified a couple of my VHF/UHF radios myself. It allow me to run fewer radios at one time.

We discourage doing something like this in a public forum and using them out of band. It just confuses new comers giving them advise that might get them into trouble. What people do privately is their business, I'm not a radio cop. If somebody wants information along these lines the best advise is to go with a private message to the other party.

1 hour ago, WSAA635 said:

NO ONE has gotten a fine in the last 14 years

There was a guy just a few months ago who was sited for using non-GMRS equipment on a GMRS repeater. That was not the primary focus of him getting in trouble. He was jamming a repeater and that is why they went after him. During their investigation they discovered he was using a non-GMRS radio and so they just threw that on the pile. I think it was the forth violation out of four violations sited.

33 minutes ago, Lscott said:

We discourage doing something like this in a public forum and using them out of band. It just confuses new comers giving them advise that might get them into trouble. What people do privately is their business, I'm not a radio cop. If somebody wants information along these lines the best advise is to go with a private message to the other party.

Yes I realize that and will refrain from doing that in the future. That being said, I do hold both licenses. And as mentioned, this is a very common mod to do for GMRS and Amateur license holders. We see it all the time here and on other forums.

EDIT: this thread is about using a VHF/UHF radio. Now I don't know if the OP is using the radio out of band or not, but it is being talked about in an open forum.

14 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

It just seems odd to me that basically the same radio can be advertised as a "HAM" radio and a "GMRS" radio simply because it's locked to that frequency and it has the FCC Stamp of Approval.  

There’s a procedure that manufacturers go through to get their radios certified for GMRS and pretty much any of the other services except amateur radio. That’s why ham radios are prohibited. 

Other than regulations I don’t know why FCC doesn’t want us to easily use a part 95e certified radio on the ham radio bands, but they don’t. But I just don’t think they would ever be able to know that a person’s type 90 or 95 radio has been opened up for use on a ham band based strictly on transmissions. 
I think the only way a person would ever get cited is if they act like an idiot while transmitting. Then the citation would just be an additional charge on top of the charges they earned by being idiots. 

52 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

The FCC has to post infractions that were enforced on their web site. Just look up how many people have been busted for transmitting with out of band radios. I'd be willing to bet it's ZERO.

Would that also include a friendly door knock, unofficially, by an FCC field engineer letting you know they noticed what you're doing and giving you the opportunity to quit?

From what I understand IF you do get an infraction from someone turning you in it's in the form of a letter then another letter then a letter saying that you're going to get a fine then finally the fine. I honestly don't think FCC folks cruise around in their vans just looking for someone using a HAM radio on a GMRS frequency to bust. There's no profit in it for them.  Also, wouldn't they have to log that into some kind of book that would later be posted somewhere? Just saying that I think they're not worried about me or you as much as you think they are.