Which Is Better Or You Prefer, LMR600 Or Andrews Heliax?

tcp2525

Question

7 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, tcp2525 said:

We have a local discussion here that a lot of pro installers prefer LMR600 over equivalent Heliax. Maybe it's just me, but I'm in the Heliax camp. If LMR600 really is better than Heliax, what are the benefits?

What do the specs say?

From everything I've read, the Andrew Heliax is better if you're running a repeater. For just a GMRS base station radio, either would be fine, with LMR600 being a bit of overkill, unless it's a really long run to the antenna. This is just my opinion and my observations

If wanting it for a repeater, this may help a bit https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/blogs/bridgecom-official-blog/how-to-select-feedline-for-a-repeate

14 hours ago, Flameout said:

From everything I've read, the Andrew Heliax is better if you're running a repeater. For just a GMRS base station radio, either would be fine, with LMR600 being a bit of overkill, unless it's a really long run to the antenna. This is just my opinion and my observations

If wanting it for a repeater, this may help a bit https://www.bridgecomsystems.com/blogs/bridgecom-official-blog/how-to-select-feedline-for-a-repeate

That was a good read. Thanks.

In all my years of LMR work Hardline is preferred. The only time I've used LMR600 is when we had to pull some thru a conduit between two buildings. LMR400 all the time in the control station environment. Even my house has LD4-50A run to my antenna's. In my work environment we use up to 1 7/8" hardline. Connectors for hardline can cost more than your radio and antenna system combined....