Letter to Baofeng about new HTs

WRPL700

Dear Baofeng:

I see that a short time ago you have come out with a new GMRS HT (UV-5G Plus).  It looks like a pretty nice upgrade, but I think once again you have missed an opportunity to make a pretty nice radio into a really nice radio.  My complaint falls entirely in the menu system.  1.  Why can we not change/enter a channel name in the menu system? 2. Why can we not set whether a channel can be scanned or not scanned in the menu system?

Baofeng, I think if you fixed just these two things your radios would move up a notch in the value/quality matrix.

I would really like to buy this radio to add to my collection, but I don't want to frustrate myself.

Thank you for listening.

WRPL700

"Why can we not set whether a channel can be scanned or not scanned in the menu system?"

Are there any HTs that do have the ability to "lock out" or "avoid" a channel from the radio menu, or even better, from a button? Folks that recognize the quoted words know what I mean.

Edited by WRXR360
delete a word

Fixed it for you:

亲爱的宝峰:

我看到不久前你们推出了新的GMRS HT(UV-5G Plus)。它看起来是一个相当不错的升级,但我认为您再次错过了将一个非常好的收音机变成一个非常好的收音机的机会。我的抱怨完全在于菜单系统。 1. 为什么我们无法在菜单系统中更改/输入频道名称? 2. 为什么菜单系统中不能设置某个频道是否可以扫描?

宝峰,我认为如果你解决了这两件事,你的收音机的价值/质量矩阵就会上升一个档次。

我真的很想买这台收音机来添加到我的收藏中,但我不想让自己感到沮丧。

感谢您的聆听。

WRPL700

3 hours ago, WRXR360 said:

"Why can we not set whether a channel can be scanned or not scanned in the menu system?"

Are there any HTs that do have the ability to "lock out" or "avoid" a channel from the radio menu, or even better, from a button? Folks that recognize the quoted words know what I mean.

Yes.  Wouxun KG-935G Plus, for one, lets you choose whether to scan a channel from the menu.

2 hours ago, back4more70 said:

Fixed it for you:

亲爱的宝峰:

我看到不久前你们推出了新的GMRS HT(UV-5G Plus)。它看起来是一个相当不错的升级,但我认为您再次错过了将一个非常好的收音机变成一个非常好的收音机的机会。我的抱怨完全在于菜单系统。 1. 为什么我们无法在菜单系统中更改/输入频道名称? 2. 为什么菜单系统中不能设置某个频道是否可以扫描?

宝峰,我认为如果你解决了这两件事,你的收音机的价值/质量矩阵就会上升一个档次。

我真的很想买这台收音机来添加到我的收藏中,但我不想让自己感到沮丧。

感谢您的聆听。

WRPL700

Perfect.  Do you have the address???  😁

7 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

Well I first “avoid” any radio that is listed as a “g” only radio.  Second I’ve never had the need to do any of this stuff from the radio face.  I use software on my lap top.  It takes me less then 60sevonds to program or change a Chanel name.  

I have and do use software, because I have to.  Not so handy if I am out away from the computer.  This discussion was aimed at what seemingly simple things could be added to make it better.  So we don't have to use software when it isn't handy.

30 minutes ago, WRPL700 said:

I have and do use software, because I have to.  Not so handy if I am out away from the computer.  This discussion was aimed at what seemly simple things could be added to make it better.  So we don't have to use software when it isn't handy.

Exactly right.  programming a radio with a computer enables a person to get the most out of it, but for those times when a computer isn’t available, the ability to program and use your radio without one is a necessity.  I don’t want to have to carry a computer with me every time I travel.