Is the btech gmrs v2 a decent upgrade?

WSAN206

Currently running baofeng uv9g (first radio) and there’s some things about it that I absolutely hate - mainly the side cover with screw that I need to remove to install a mic.  Plus the selection of mics for that radio is pretty slim.   I use this in and out of my vehicle so being able to install a mic easily is a must.  

I’d really like to plunge and get the wouxan 935g plus but my wife isn’t crazy about spending a bunch more money on this new hobby.   The btech seems to check all the boxes (that I know of) and I like the usb-c charging  - but is it any better if a radio than what I have now?  Looks very similar in the way it features and operation.  Even the same lady voice.  

btech is twice as much as the UV-9g but half the price of the wouxan.  

Any thoughts on this?   Or is there something else I should consider?  

17 minutes ago, WSAN206 said:

Currently running baofeng uv9g (first radio) and there’s some things about it that I absolutely hate - mainly the side cover with screw that I need to remove to install a mic.  Plus the selection of mics for that radio is pretty slim.   I use this in and out of my vehicle so being able to install a mic easily is a must.  

I’d really like to plunge and get the wouxan 935g plus but my wife isn’t crazy about spending a bunch more money on this new hobby.   The btech seems to check all the boxes (that I know of) and I like the usb-c charging  - but is it any better if a radio than what I have now?  Looks very similar in the way it features and operation.  Even the same lady voice.  

btech is twice as much as the UV-9g but half the price of the wouxan.  

Any thoughts on this?   Or is there something else I should consider?  

Go ahead and use it for awhile. The difference between your radio and the 935g will be in little features that might make things more enjoyable. Otherwise they’ll probably talk just as far as each other. 
I would recommend going to a radio club somewhere so you can get your hands on some different models. You might find that the things that irritate you grow on you. 

I had a BTech GMRS V2 and sent it back to get funds for a Wouxun KG-UVD1P. That being said I now have a Baofeng UV-82 and other than it being 1/3 of the price of the V2 I can't really tell much difference.

I'd go with the UV-82(not the HP which is the same price as the V2)and not look back. 

Mine was unlocked right out of the box and I programmed it with CHIRP easy peasy. 

1 hour ago, WSAA635 said:

I'd go with the UV-82

I have 2 UV-82s. They were wide-open when I got them, so no unlocking needed. They have good transmit audio, they feel substantial, they have decent battery life, but there are 3 things I don't like. The dual PTT, the very limited availability of dual-PTT speaker microphones, and the speaker mic jack cover that either breaks off or sticks out too far. I found that I prefer my old-faithful UV-5Rs. 

19 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

I have 2 UV-82s. They were wide-open when I got them, so no unlocking needed. They have good transmit audio, they feel substantial, they have decent battery life, but there are 3 things I don't like. The dual PTT, the very limited availability of dual-PTT speaker microphones, and the speaker mic jack cover that either breaks off or sticks out too far. I found that I prefer my old-faithful UV-5Rs. 

Hmm - so these require a special mic because of the dual PTT?  I’m looking for something that works off a basic K1 plug and works with  the commountain mic.  

Great info - thanks 

8 hours ago, WSAN206 said:

Hmm - so these require a special mic because of the dual PTT?  I’m looking for something that works off a basic K1 plug and works with  the commountain mic.  

Great info - thanks 

A standard mic will work but it will only transmit on one channel. (A, I think.) The dual-PTT mics that I found had poor reviews. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 10:17 PM, WSAN206 said:

... crazy about spending a bunch more money on this new hobby.

Just a warning, you'll be buying more radios in the future regardless! 

You may not notice the difference in these radios (I think they have the same direct sampling technology).

You will notice the difference going to a superheterodyne receiver. check out the https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-905g.html its $30 cheaper than the 935g, and the https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-805g.html is $50 cheaper at $80. Both are still more than the  BTECH GMRS-V2, but you will see a difference for selectivity and audio quality.

7 hours ago, WRPG745 said:

Just a warning, you'll be buying more radios in the future regardless! 

You may not notice the difference in these radios (I think they have the same direct sampling technology).

You will notice the difference going to a superheterodyne receiver. check out the https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-905g.html its $30 cheaper than the 935g, and the https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-805g.html is $50 cheaper at $80. Both are still more than the  BTECH GMRS-V2, but you will see a difference for selectivity and audio quality.

Yeah one of these days I will get a nicer radio - but I’m having so much fun with these cheap ones.  Ended up buying a uv17 pro GPS (not here yet) gm-15, and most recently,  quansheng uvk6 which upgraded the firmware to egzumer.  Now that is a fun toy to play with!  

you are right though - I’m pretty sure all the sub-$80 radios are pretty much the same.  

thanks for the recommendations and I’ll check them out.  

The Baofeng/B-Tech radios are fine and they do work well enough. One of the issues with them is the sensitivity of their receivers, they will pick up all kinds of signals and noise. They are also easily overloaded by other radios in close proximity (1/2 mile or less).

I own Baofeng and Wouxun HT's. The Wouxun radios are better in the following things:

•  less susceptible to overload and noise
  • clearer audio on transmit and receive
  • better reception with the stock antenna

Both brands will reach out the same distances.

Generally superheterodyne receivers are better than system on a chip receivers. But this is not always the case. My Icom IC-T10 HT is SOC and is just as good if not better than my Wouxun HT's. The Quality of components matters too.

11 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

They are also easily overloaded by other radios in close proximity (1/2 mile or less)

Although overload is a real thing, after testing LITERALLY every GMRS handheld manufactured in the last 5 years, I have never, EVER, NOT ONCE seen any overload/desense issues unless the radios were closer than about 75 feet, an 90% of the time they had to be closer than 25 feet or so.

To claim that overload is an issue at up to a 1/2-mile, on its surface, seems like a preposterous over-exagguration, based on my very extensive testing. But that's just my experience.. 

Just now, OffRoaderX said:

Although overload is a real thing, after testing LITERALLY every GMRS handheld manufactured in the last 5 years, I have never, EVER, NOT ONCE seen any overload/desense issues unless the radios were closer than about 75 feet, an 90% of the time they had to be closer than 25 feet or so.

To claim that overload is an issue at up to a 1/2-mile, on its surface, seems like a preposterous over-exagguration, based on my very extensive testing. But that's just my experience.. 

And that is why I said "up to". And when it happened to me, the other guys were using 50 watt mobile radios on high power at the time. I did not get that overload talking HT to HT.

Don't count out the TIDRadio H3 and H8. They're both pretty decent for the money and IMHO a step up from the UV-82. I really do like the UV-82 though, it gives me a decent power output(not underpowered like the UV-5R) and it has a nice feel to it. You can also get USB-C batteries and a lot of different SMA Female antennas for it. Unlocked you can do MURS, GMRS, HAM and a lot of other frequencies that you'd be licensed for or need to use in an emergency.  I really think the TD-H3 is a real sleeper right now and the price will probably go up once people learn how good it really is.  FM Broadcast radio, Airbands(108MHz to 135MHz), VHF-136MHz to 174MHz and UHF-400MHz to 600MHz gives you a lot of range.

7 minutes ago, jwilkers said:

The BTECH GMRS-V2 isn't bad. I love the fact you can program any GMRS frequency into any channel position and delete those you don't want to.use. Their flexibility is a strong selling point.

This can also be done on a $20 uv5r    I’m not seeing the point. 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:47 AM, WSAA635 said:

Don't count out the TIDRadio H3 and H8. They're both pretty decent for the money and IMHO a step up from the UV-82. I really do like the UV-82 though, it gives me a decent power output(not underpowered like the UV-5R) and it has a nice feel to it. You can also get USB-C batteries and a lot of different SMA Female antennas for it. Unlocked you can do MURS, GMRS, HAM and a lot of other frequencies that you'd be licensed for or need to use in an emergency.  I really think the TD-H3 is a real sleeper right now and the price will probably go up once people learn how good it really is.  FM Broadcast radio, Airbands(108MHz to 135MHz), VHF-136MHz to 174MHz and UHF-400MHz to 600MHz gives you a lot of range.

I just recently discovered this radio as well - it has certainly peaked my Interest. Looks like a little wouxan 

Please note that I sent the H3's back because of programming issues. I also bricked one trying to update the firmware. I think they're trying to pack too many features in to small of a package.

The H8 on the other hand seems to be doing ok so far and I'm curious to see how the Retevis RA89 works out. Just be aware that the RA89 takes an SMA Male antenna, not the standard female that we're use to seeing on the Baofengs.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jwilkers said:

The uv-5r is not part 95 certified and is therefore illegal on GMRS. The GMRS-V2 is.

Not to be THAT guy, but hardly anybody is using a “legal” radio. I bet at least 65% or more of licensed GMRS users are using “illegal” rigs. Like it matters. The FCC botched it when they allowed bubble pack FRS radios to include GMRS freqs. It is now basically a free for all, or CB 2.0. They should be happy some of us even pay for a license.