Is the btech gmrs v2 a decent upgrade?

WSAN206

11 hours ago, jwilkers said:

The uv-5r is not part 95 certified and is therefore illegal on GMRS. The GMRS-V2 is.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

Actually there is a Part 95 certified version of the Baofeng UV-5R, It is the UV-5R GMRS. I have two of them.

Here is the FCC ID information: https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AJGM-P51UV

And a photo of the label

UV5RGMRS.thumb.jpg.c03cd650730f03a5b06fae1fb5ef0f4f.jpg

5 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

And I'd be willing to bet the only difference is the sticker.🤣

LOL! Actually I have one of those and it is locked down tight to transmit on GMRS only. I checked it just out of curiosity. It does have the channel 15 bug though.

2 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

LOL! Actually I have one of those and it is locked down tight to transmit on GMRS only. I checked it just out of curiosity. It does have the channel 15 bug though.

What about spurious emissions? Is it any cleaner than a new UV-5r HAM version? 

This is kind of my point in saying the radio shouldn't matter as long as you're transmitting on channels you're licensed for.  The Talkpod A36 Plus is a perfect example. It's HAM and GMRS certified so technically if you got the HAM version and unlocked it for GMRS use you'd still be using the same radio, just on different frequencies. 

@WSAA635 My comment was not intended to prolong the debate. No-one with any sense is going to tell you it's ok to break the rules.

There was a guy in here once that suggested petitioning the FCC for a rule change. He never started a petition. If it's that big of a deal to you, just start a petition. Just be prepared to be OK with whatever the FCC decides. It's not like they are enforcing a one-child-only policy.

1 hour ago, WSAA635 said:

And I'd be willing to bet the only difference is the sticker.🤣

As others have stated, there is a difference in the firmware. Trying the unlock sequence that works on the regular UV-5R did not work on either of my UV-5R GMRS radios. 

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

Both of mine work as they should to include transmitting on channel 15. I bought mine on 9 Oct 2023 from Amazon.

5 hours ago, jwilkers said:

Probably nothing.

But today's wod today kids is integrity. Following the rules anyway.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

Yep, we need to follow the example of our government and follow the dang rules.

I have the UV-9G which I think is a really good GMRS radio. Yes, the mic thing is a pain, but then it is (supposedly) IP-67 waterproof, which I think is very important. For emergency, WROL situations, however, the UV-18 Pro Max with GPS is a great radio that has 999 channels in 10 banks, one of which can be set up for GMRS. I can't imagine not having the banks, or zones, feature in a radio. 

I will have to admit I screwed up not paying attention when I ordered the new Btech UV-50V2. Not paying attention I did end up with the Ham version instead of the GMRS version. Was tempted to send it back but decided to see what the major differences were. Need less to say there were not GRMS freqs in the radio but there is a list in CHIRP that has all the freq's and RPT channels as well. Once you upload the radios configuration you can copy and paste the CHIRP list right over the top of the read you got from the radio and it works perfect. Not saying I would use an illegal radio but wanted to see how it worked. Got a constant 45 watts out end to end. 

Being a law abiding citizen of course I purchased the GRMS version but decided to keep the other one as well just for "listening". Really like the radio. I live a dense wooded area with several little hills and valleys and it had many more far's (credit to notarubicon) than I ever expected. Coupled with the UV-72G mag mount antenna I could not ask for more. Got my vote for what it's worth. 

On 3/1/2024 at 11:47 AM, WSAA635 said:

Don't count out the TIDRadio H3 and H8. They're both pretty decent for the money and IMHO a step up from the UV-82. I really do like the UV-82 though, it gives me a decent power output(not underpowered like the UV-5R) and it has a nice feel to it. You can also get USB-C batteries and a lot of different SMA Female antennas for it. Unlocked you can do MURS, GMRS, HAM and a lot of other frequencies that you'd be licensed for or need to use in an emergency.  I really think the TD-H3 is a real sleeper right now and the price will probably go up once people learn how good it really is.  FM Broadcast radio, Airbands(108MHz to 135MHz), VHF-136MHz to 174MHz and UHF-400MHz to 600MHz gives you a lot of range.

I just got an H3 because it has air band. I like the fact that is came with an additional antenna tuned for air band. I am new to all of this so, I have not had a chance to test everything in the wild. I have B-Tech as well.