Wouxun KG-905g vs Yaesu FT-65r.

Both are at or just under $100 so price isn't a factor.

KG-905g:

Negatives:

GMRS/UHF only, Not CHIRP compatible, not NOAA Weather compatible, no FM radio function.

Positives:

Superhetrodyne, Amazon(so I can use my refund money).

FT-65r:

Negitives:

HAM radio so it'll need to be unlocked. System on a Chip. Would have to buy it with debit card.

Positives

VHF/UHF, NOAA Weather, can transmit on MURS if needed. Easy to unlock. CHIRP compatible.

So which one and why.

29 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

So which one and why.

It depends on where you intend to spend most of your time transmitting. That's the whole reason to buy a transceiver, otherwise a scanner like my Uniden BC75XLT would work for you. The FT-65 does more in terms of transmitting, being that it's dual band. If you ever want to do amateur radio, you would be ready. It also does more receiving, but no FM broadcast. One thing that may be a factor is that the FT-65 antenna, and in fact the whole radio, is designed to transmit on amateur VHF and UHF. Transmitting out-of-band on GMRS and MURS may reduce the power output. I know it happens with my FT-70. Oddly, it doesn't happen with my Baofeng UV-5R. That thing transmits full power on both amateur and GMRS. If you're only going to use GMRS. go with the KG-905G. That way you're more likely to get the most power output and GMRS functionality. If you think you'll use both GMRS and amateur, get the Yaesu so you can be an outlaw and use one radio for both, but be ready to possibly accept lower GMRS transmit power.

Like mentioned in another thread, a good SOC radio works fine. I wouldn't worry about SOC radios from Yaesu or Icom, they work just fine.

I do have to say that it does sound like having a good hand held scanner would be the best option for you to listen to all of the bands. There is really no one size fits all for hand held transceivers.

I really prefer the versatility of an actual transceiver vs just a scanner since I scan so few channels. 

Also,  if I'm going to be limited to UHF only then maybe the KG-805g would work just as well as the 905g, Plus it'd be $20 bucks cheaper. 

It's odd though that the 805g has an FM Radio but the 905g doesn't and neither have NOAA Weather Radio.

8 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

It's odd though that the 805g has an FM Radio but the 905g doesn't and neither have NOAA Weather Radio.

Yeah, having NOAA is useful if you spend a lot of time out doors. However that requires the radio to likely be based on a dual band design, a derivative of a VHF/UHF Ham type radio with GMRS specific firmware. Some of the GMRS radios are based on a single band design so that's why they don't have VHF and thus no NOAA station reception.

I would just go for a good quality GMRS radio and then spend a bit extra and get a cheap Baofeng UV-5R type radio for about $25 or so and program in the NOAA weather channels in it. You're not really going to be transmitting on it, just using it as a monitor. I typically carry a TK-3170 for GMRS and UHF ham. For VHF Ham and NOAA I have the VHF version of the radio, TK-2170.

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/9/TK-2170&3170Brochure.pdf

Of course you have to be within range of a NOAA station. Some places aren't covered, or not very well.

https://www.weather.gov/nwr/

https://www.weather.gov/nwr/Maps

Another advantage of a separate radio is you might have an active "Skywarn" group in your area. During extreme weather events this maybe a better source of timely weather updates.

https://www.weather.gov/skywarn/

https://www.weather.gov/sew/spotter

I have a UV-5R, 2/UV-82's and a Talkpod A36 Plus so really, all my bases are covered. I'd just like one nice radio to have. 

I still don't understand why the cheaper 805g has FM radio but the "better" 905g doesn't. They're both suppose to be UHF only. Also since there's a MURS version of the 805 are they using a different chip set? If not why couldn't the 805g be "hacked" to do VHF too?

8 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

I really prefer the versatility of an actual transceiver vs just a scanner since I scan so few channels. 

Also,  if I'm going to be limited to UHF only then maybe the KG-805g would work just as well as the 905g, Plus it'd be $20 bucks cheaper. 

You are suffering from "analysis paralysis" in that you are so wrapped in your comparisons that you've lost sight of your original objective. 

32 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

You are suffering from "analysis paralysis" in that you are so wrapped in your comparisons that you've lost sight of your original objective. 

That's what those of us with ASD do, we over analyze things because the logical side of our brain is in control. Being Neurodivergent can be both a blessing and a curse. 

I do think that I need to stop over thinking things and just focus on a GMRS radio and not worry about the other stuff but try to tell my brain that, LOL.

I'll probably just go with the 805g since it's less expensive and has FM radio but dang I wish it had NOAA too. I'm sure we'll figure it out by the time my refunds on Amazon hit.

The KG935G has been mentioned a few times in the different threads. Buy Two Way Radios is currently out of stock on the KG-935G Plus but expect them to start shipping on March 15th. They are $149 and worth it.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-kg-935g-plus.html?___SID=U

You can download the Wouxun software from the BTWR website. I find the Wouxun software easier to use. It will only run on Windoze though.

Get the KG-935 plus. 

This is a good… no it’s a great GMRS radio. Which is perfect because you have a GMRS license and want a good radio. You won’t get everything in one radio but you have other radios to cover other bases. 

1 hour ago, WRYZ926 said:

You will have to use the Wouxun software to program them but you can download that from the BTWR website. 

I use Chirp for my KG-935 Plus. @WRYZ926 ,Do they not support his Lynx? 

43 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

Okay I was wrong, CHIRP Next does support the 935G. I just prefer the Wouxun software from the BTWR website. It is nice and easy to use. I run CHIRP Next on my Mac mini and Windoze 11 computer.

I just edited my last post to include your call sign to send message, sorry I hadn’t seen your response already. I was distracted by outside forces 😂

3 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

It's all good @WRUU653. I sometimes suffer from too much blood in my caffeine system.😆

This made me laugh more than usual, as it would happen that literally was the case. I had done a fast and then went for blood work so no coffee.😂

I'm good now ☕☕

If I could get the KG-935G Plus on Amazon I would but it's not listed as one of the radios for sale. I'm going to have almost $210 refund credit on Amazon that I'd like to use. I also have to factor in antennas, extra batteries, and anything else I might want to pick up.

2 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

You can download the Wouxun software from the BTWR website. I find the Wouxun software easier to use. It will only run on Windoze though.

I have both the KG-805G and KG-905G software running on my Linux Box under WINE so it'll run on more than Windoze if you know what to do. 😉

57 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

If I could get the KG-935G Plus on Amazon I would but it's not listed as one of the radios for sale. I'm going to have almost $210 refund credit on Amazon that I'd like to use. I also have to factor in antennas, extra batteries, and anything else I might want to pick up.

Does Amazon not refund to your credit card? The Antenna that comes with the radio is hard to beat and I have a drawer full of antennas.😁

17 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Does Amazon not refund to your credit card? The Antenna that comes with the radio is hard to beat and I have a drawer full of antennas.😁

I use my Amazon Card so I'll get 5% back and normally(but not this time)and I can take my returns to Khol's and drop them off and I'll get the refund in a couple hours. I had to ship some of the stuff  back UPS(on their dime so I didn't have to pay shipping) and I'm still waiting on the refund to hit my Gift Card balance on Amazon.

The KG-905G has USB-C charging now on the battery. That's a plus.  I can get a 2600Ah battery for the KG-805G so it'd have the same battery capacity as the 905 but it'd not be USB-C capable. 

Still not gotten my refund on one of the radios that was delivered back to the seller on the 7th. Hopefully later today with any luck. 805, 905, maybe both, maybe 2 of the 805's, IDK, this isn't an easy choice. LOL