UV-5R vs UV-5G

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

What is the differencr between the two? I see UV-5R mentioned in these forums, but I thought they were ham radios and uv-5g is GMRS? Can they be used interchangeably? I want to make sure I’m getting the correct one. 

You are correct that the standard UV-5R is a ham radio. Most people will unlock them to use on GMRS. Now there is a GMRS only version of the UV-5R called the UV-5R GMRS which is Part 95 certified for GMRS. 

To answer your question, there is no difference between the UV-5r, UV-5G or other radios based on the original UV-5r like the GT-5R other than what frequencies/bands they can operate on. If you want to stay with a Part 95 certified radio then sticks with the UV-5G or the UV-5R GMRS versions.

Here is a link to the UV-5R GMRS radios for those interested https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B18CPDKG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

Be careful when/if using CHIRP to program the UV5G. I've bricked that radio before using it, I believe there is a specific software that you can download from Baofeng. 

Again though that could've been a fluke on my end, but I still warn others. 

11 minutes ago, WSAH999 said:

Be careful when/if using CHIRP to program the UV5G. I've bricked that radio before using it, I believe there is a specific software that you can download from Baofeng. 

Again though that could've been a fluke on my end, but I still warn others. 

The Radioddity UV-5G is supported by CHIRP and is what one uses when programming the Baofeng UV-5R GMRS too.  I haven't bricked either of my UV-5R GRMS radios when choosing the Radioddity UV-5G when using CHIRP.

Just now, WRYZ926 said:

The Radioddity UV-5G is supported by CHIRP and is what one uses when programming the Baofeng UV-5R GMRS too.  I haven't bricked either of my UV-5R GRMS radios when choosing the Radioddity UV-5G when using CHIRP.

Weird. I know of one other op in the area who also said they had a similar issue with the UV9G. Perhaps a bad one in the batch, or more likely I just did something stupid and didn't realize 😆

Well, we call these "learning moments"