Repeaters

WRXI238

Question

So I’m new to GMRS and need someone to explain how to connect to a repeater? I have a Rugged hand held and would like to buy a better one for my truck.  I got a license and used MYGMRS.com to find the closest repeater.  I received permission from the owner as well.  How do I know what channel, frequency and the other tones? And how do I program that assuming I’m in range?  

Thanks,

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRXI238 said:

So I’m new to GMRS and need someone to explain how to connect to a repeater? I have a Rugged hand held and would like to buy a better one for my truck.  I got a license and used MYGMRS.com to find the closest repeater.  I received permission from the owner as well.  How do I know what channel, frequency and the other tones? And how do I program that assuming I’m in range?  

Thanks,

I hate to sound like a broken record, because this is common advice on every site, but the first thing you need to do is read the manual. There will be instructions on how to set up your radio to access (not connect to) repeaters. Take the information about the repeater that you gleaned from the MyGMRS database, such as the CTCSS tones and repeater frequencies, and go step-by-step through the instructions. Also, there are pantloads of videos that show how to do this. Trying to follow anyone's instructions here may only frustrate you, because they may be rewriting and overcomplicating the instruction manual you already have. Specifically which Rugged Radios handheld do you have? Some of them are (or at least used to be) relabeled Baofengs at three times the price.