Magnetic Antenna Mounts and Paint Damage

Over2U

Question

8 answers to this question

Use a 3m Double sided tape on the entire base, then clean the roof and stick it down with good amount of pressure. This is the same stuff they use to affix badging from the factory and most trim on cars. Might affect your range however but it would keep it from moving. Otherwise look into getting a bracket to mount with. 

Search Amazon for this:

3M Exterior Attachment Tape

81pq42VkL0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What material can I place under a magnetic antenna mount to limit damage to vehicle paint while maintaining a strong enough magnetic force to prevent antenna movement?
Could try a piece of vinyl wrap.

Apply to the area on the car. Then place mag mount on it.

Damn I wish I had tried it on the burb.

The mag mount left a rust spot on the roof. It attracted iron from the debris on the road and that started to rust. Remeber dirt has iron in it. Don't believe me go grab a magnet and rub it on some dirt.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I used 3M clear paint surface protection vinyl film. I applied it to the base of the magnet mount, trimmed around most of the base, leaving a wide section about an inch or so long one side, then folded the tail over to make it double thickness to be used as something to grab when removing the antenna. Also keep the paint under it well waxed. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VG8DS0?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder_k0_1_7&amp=&crid=1ELGBGSQ87X09&amp=&sprefix=3m+clea

And it looks like I need to remove and clean it and the car once the weather breaks. 😄

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, PRadio said:

I used 3M clear paint surface protection vinyl film. I applied it to the base of the magnet mount, trimmed around most of the base, leaving a wide section about an inch or so long one side, then folded the tail over to make it double thickness to be used as something to grab when removing the antenna. Also keep the paint under it well waxed. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VG8DS0?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder_k0_1_7&amp=&crid=1ELGBGSQ87X09&amp=&sprefix=3m+clea

And it looks like I need to remove and clean it and the car once the weather breaks. 😄

spacer.png

That protects the base of the mount, but isn’t effective at protecting your paint. The vinyl will still move against the car’s painted surface, maybe even easier than the rubber.
Iron dust (which is everywhere because 5% of the earth’s crust is iron) will be attracted to the magnet through the vinyl and can become embedded into the vinyl where it will abrade the paint. 
If the vinyl is stuck to the paint then it becomes the sacrificial surface that the mount grinds against. 

1 hour ago, Sshannon said:

That protects the base of the mount, but isn’t effective at protecting your paint. The vinyl will still move against the car’s painted surface, maybe even easier than the rubber.
Iron dust (which is everywhere because 5% of the earth’s crust is iron) will be attracted to the magnet through the vinyl and can become embedded into the vinyl where it will abrade the paint. 
If the vinyl is stuck to the paint then it becomes the sacrificial surface that the mount grinds against. 

It is much easier on the paint than what was originally on the base, and it can be easily removed and replaced when necessary. I have been using this for many years on different vehicles for various applications, and as I stated, the vinyl is attached to the base, not the paint of the car.   Alternately you could apply the film to the roof of the vehicle, which is actually what it is designed for anyway. I have some attached to the paint of a motorcycle to prevent paint damage where something rubs against it. It comes off easily. 

The base originally had a very thing plastic/vinyl covering, not rubber, so this isn't really different, and with a 6 inch tall antenna, it isn't moving while driving. The only time it moves is when I try to remove it.