why are there 2 channels shown on grms radios?

Ok so I am VERY new to grms community (only a few weeks) and even to me this question sounds like I should know it, but why do grms radios show 2 channels\frequencies on screen?  Im sure that it has an easy answer, but I would really like to know. I am really wanting to learn what i can so i can have a good understanding of the equipment.

42 minutes ago, Hobey1 said:

Ok so I am VERY new to grms community (only a few weeks) and even to me this question sounds like I should know it, but why do grms radios show 2 channels\frequencies on screen?  Im sure that it has an easy answer, but I would really like to know. I am really wanting to learn what i can so i can have a good understanding of the equipment.

Many radios have the ability to monitor two channels. Those are the two. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I have been learning a lot since purchasing my radios, only problem now is that there is not a lot of ppl to chat with in my area, and the lack of repeaters in my area is even smaller.  I have learned that now that I understand what that means now.  

•  

The radio can be set so that the top row and bottom row are different frequencies, or different memory banks (channels).

The radio can be configured to dual-monitor those frequencies or channels. But that's optional.

The radio can be configured so that the next time you transmit, it will be on the channel that received traffic most recently. That's also optional, and dependent on dual-monitoring being turned on.

The radio can be configured so that it is NOT dual monitoring. In this case, the dual rows just makes it really easy to switch between two channels/frequencies.

An example: I could have a radio configured to reach my family on the "A" row, and another family at another campsite, or a hiking group, on the "B" row. I can dual-monitor those two rows, or I can single-monitor but switch quickly using the "A/B" button. With your Baofeng, all of these options are available; dual scan, single scan, transmit on most recently scanned, or transmit only on the row you have manually selected.

But the point really is that you can set up "A" for one person or group, and "B" for another, and listen to both.

I've found dual monitoring useful when I'm not talking to anyone and simply want to monitor.  If I scan on one row and set the other to the local repeater the odds are I won't miss anything.  Otherwise, yeah, if I'm engaged with a group I'll turn off dual.

1 hour ago, WSCA774 said:

only problem now is that there is not a lot of ppl to chat with in my area

It's been spoken of much on these forums that GMRS is more about folks staying in touch with friends and family on the trail, when camping, off-roading, motor home caravanning, etc. Not a lot of folks use GMRS as a social media platform, although some do. It's more of a "bring your own contacts" service, a bit like your cell phone. Amateur radio is your friend if the social aspect is more what you're looking for. Many of us here do both.

5 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

It's been spoken of much on these forums that GMRS is more about folks staying in touch with friends and family on the trail, when camping, off-roading, motor home caravanning, etc. Not a lot of folks use GMRS as a social media platform, although some do. It's more of a "bring your own contacts" service, a bit like your cell phone. Amateur radio is your friend if the social aspect is more what you're looking for. Many of us here do both.

I've been looking into getting into this as well.  Basically, using GRMS to get my feet wet, we as a family use GRMS around our property and with family that lives close by. But I am very much interested in amateur radio and would like to go that route.  currently we are building on to our house so at the moment that is just a dream as I do not have a place to setup any equipment.  I do know that there are at least 2 ppl in my area (that I know of) that have their ham license.  

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

I find GMRS to really be this, as described above; a tool in support of activities, not the activity itself.

I use it for camping, hiking, caravanning, skiing (that's a big one), occasionally at outdoor places like amusement parks, and more recently sailing since ship-to-shore communications are so highly regulated over Marine VHF. I can't help but enjoy it as a hobby in and of itself, but recognize most people just buy a couple (or more) radios and go about using them in their activity.

I've been looking into the amateur radio, and I'm very interested in going this route but for sure I have a lot to learn before I'm able to make this possible, especially with the addition to the house.  If yall have any good resources for starting I'm all ears.  I've had an interest in radio for a long time but only until recently have I ever been able to make it happen.   😁

9 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

@WSCA774 I used https://hamstudy.org/ mostly. They have a phone app as well. The explanations are good but don't hesitate to use google to find out more.

I want to get the ARRL books some day for reference.

Great I'll check it out ASAP! 😁 I've been cruising the internet and looking stuff up but with so many options it's hard to know where to begin. i've also looked into getting the ARRL books as well, I plan on getting them when I can.

11 hours ago, WSCA774 said:

Great I'll check it out ASAP! 😁 I've been cruising the internet and looking stuff up but with so many options it's hard to know where to begin. i've also looked into getting the ARRL books as well, I plan on getting them when I can.

HamStudy is the way to go.  It’s free to use, but I would encourage people to buy the app for their phone or tablet and study using it when they’ve got some time to kill.  Much cheaper than the ARRL books and it changes when the questions change and it really allows a person to follow a subject to the level of detail that appeals to them. I used HamStudy to study successfully for all three tests without owning a single ARRL book (at the time anyway; I’ve picked up some since.)  I really enjoyed using HamStudy (if it’s not apparent 🤓.)

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

HamStudy is the way to go.  It’s free to use, but I would encourage people to buy the app for their phone or tablet and study using it when they’ve got some time to kill.  Much cheaper than the ARRL books and it changes when the questions change and it really allows a person to follow a subject to the level of detail that appeals to them. I used HamStudy to study successfully for all three tests without owning a single ARRL book (at the time anyway; I’ve picked up some since.)  I really enjoyed using HamStudy (if it’s not apparent 🤓.)

checked this out last night, definitely looks to be a very detailed study as well as easy to understand.  Will definitely be using this when I start.  I was very impressed when I looked over the website and checking out all they had to offer, and very thorough. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2024 at 11:25 AM, WSCA774 said:

Thanks, I have been learning a lot since purchasing my radios, only problem now is that there is not a lot of ppl to chat with in my area, and the lack of repeaters in my area is even smaller.  I have learned that now that I understand what that means now.  

•  

This is the thing about GMRS. It's not really a service designed to reach out and chat with random strangers, not that that doesn't happen mind you. Unless you're in an urban setting with active repeaters where others will reply to you and converse, you're mostly going to find it is used for intra-family communications. If you have friends that are also licensed, it can be a great way to keep up with what's going on with them beyond calling on the phone or getting together face-to-face. Should you hear strangers talking, and you pipe in, chances are average to good you'll get invited to politely or not so politely butt out.

What I use it for is mostly commo when waaaay up north here in Minnesota in an area where cell service is spotty at best, or non-existent. Makes it easy for Wifeypoo to call me on the lake or in the truck when on the way into town as well as keep tabs on the grandsons as they mosey about the spread...

On 4/6/2024 at 8:35 AM, WSCA774 said:

I have 2 uv-5g plus, and i was reading up on them in the user manual and yes they are duel monitor. Thanks for the help yall! 

You said that the monitors are duel monitors. Does that mean they are fighting/ dueling each other for some reason? Why are they pissed off at each other?

On 5/22/2024 at 12:42 PM, OffRoaderX said:

For that you should try the Grindr app.. I've had great success with it.  Or H.A.M. radio.

I'll check out the grindr app, and I am doing a lot of research into HAM radio, which will most likely be my next step.  since posting this I've learned a lot about it and mostly just looking for more distance with my radios rather than ppl to chat with.  we use the ht's around the property and camping, and I have a mobile unit in my work vehicle which does get more distance, but I still would like to get a bit more range out of it.  I'm working adding to my house at the moment so a base station is on hold for the moment until we get the new addition done (we live in a 900 square ft cabin).  new addition is for office and extra bedroom.  Been doing a lot of research for my base station setup and any suggestions on antennas would be great I've looked at a comet and a few others but not sure which way to go.   

19 hours ago, nokones said:

You said that the monitors are duel monitors. Does that mean they are fighting/ dueling each other for some reason? Why are they pissed off at each other?

th?id=OIP.EE0dSE1_XGqalMojPkmPgwHaHa&w=160&h=160&rs=1&qlt=80&o=6&dpr=1.3&pid=3.1