Anyone use a COMPACTenna LMR-1 for GMRS?

I've been doing some looking into this antenna. The creator of it claims that it's predicated on a fundamentally different method of antenna science. I'm not in as deep with antenna science as some are, but it has to do magnetic field resonance, making use of variable polarities, and not just the electric/vertical polarity like typical mobile verticals do. 

The claim being made by the creator is that not only is this antenna a smaller form factor, but it's actually superior. It'll provide a more stable and readable signal in areas where conventional antennas will flutter, drop, etc. Because the gaps get filled by angular/horizontal polarities and the magnetic portion of the signal carrier. Or something to that effect.  It's claimed that this antenna (the 2m/70cm version) can work the ISS and satellites while driving and not having to change the orientation of the antenna. Again, because of the use of variable polarities..

Is it snake oil?

It's a $200 antenna for the version needed on GMRS. If it does what it says, I've got no problem paying that. But does it?

Just curious if anyone here has had any time with one...

I've been doing some looking into this antenna. The creator of it claims that it's predicated on a fundamentally different method of antenna science. I'm not in as deep with antenna science as some are, but it has to do magnetic field resonance, making use of variable polarities, and not just the electric/vertical polarity like typical mobile verticals do. 
The claim being made by the creator is that not only is this antenna a smaller form factor, but it's actually superior. It'll provide a more stable and readable signal in areas where conventional antennas will flutter, drop, etc. Because the gaps get filled by angular/horizontal polarities and the magnetic portion of the signal carrier. Or something to that effect.  It's claimed that this antenna (the 2m/70cm version) can work the ISS while driving and not having to change the orientation of the antenna. Again, because of the use of variable polarities..
Is it snake oil?
It's a $200 antenna for the version needed on GMRS. If it does what it says, I've got no problem paying that. But does it?
Just curious if anyone here has had any time with one...

I have done a little research. Not a huge amount. Mainly because I thought I could do ham, lmr and gmrs on the same antenna. Which you can't i would have to buy ham antenna, lmr/gmrs antenna. Which would have been $$$.

It uses what looks foil like flaps arranged in a circular pattern with dielectric material between the flaps. So it looks like it creates a circular polarization pattern, great for fm radio and satellite comms.

Although I am really skeptical about some of his claims. Josh from ham radio crash course did a comparison of it to some tried and true dual-band mobile antennas. It in fact did seem to reach out and hear better than most of the whip style.

I have no experience with it.

Why didn't I plunk monet down on it?
1. I needed flexible antennas. Parking garages and trees. That antenna is a rigid tube.

2. Couldn't tune the damn thing. Not a deal breaker if done properly from the factory. But i like tuning mine and being able to get replacement parts cheaply.

Guess if you really want to know you will have to whack the crap out of your credit card. Personally, that is almost as much money as used Motorola mobile or mid tier to high-end radio.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, kidphc said:

I have done a little research. Not a huge amount. Mainly because I thought I could do ham, lmr and gmrs on the same antenna. Which you can't i would have to buy ham antenna, lmr/gmrs antenna. Which would have been $$$.

It uses what looks foil like flaps arranged in a circular pattern with dielectric material between the flaps. So it looks like it creates a circular polarization pattern, great for fm radio and satellite comms.

Although I am really skeptical about some of his claims. Josh from ham radio crash course did a comparison of it to some tried and true dual-band mobile antennas. It in fact did seem to reach out and hear better than most of the whip style.

I have no experience with it.

Why didn't I plunk monet down on it?
1. I needed flexible antennas. Parking garages and trees. That antenna is a rigid tube.

2. Couldn't tune the damn thing. Not a deal breaker if done properly from the factory. But i like tuning mine and being able to get replacement parts cheaply.

Guess if you really want to know you will have to whack the crap out of your credit card. Personally, that is almost as much money as used Motorola mobile or mid tier to high-end radio.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

It is as much as a radio, but in my experience antenna>radio. I’ll actually spend more money on antennas and have less expensive radios.

I have not seen this antenna yet but I do have an active magnetic loop antenna for my HF radio. It is a receive only antenna that works on the magnetic portion of the signal instead of the electrical portion. It does indeed work very well. It is much quieter than a normal antenna. Picks up much less electrical noise. At 36" in diameter is very compact and does not need to be high in the air to work well.

Could be a promising idea. Will keep my eye out for this.

I have been using the compactenna scan-III for gmrs for about 2 months now.   My measured swr is 1.1 - 1.4 depending on frequency.  I also have a SDR using the same antenna, and use a antenna switch to select which one.  I use there ground plane since this is a base station install.  I picked the compactenna for the following reasons:

1. size.  where I am at its very windy, today its gusting to 40mph, so antenna cross section is important.   Fortunately gmrs frequencys translate to small antennas so most any antenna will be small physical size.  Mine is a base station, and is only about 10ft off the ground.

2. Flexibility.  I also use the antenna for a SDR.  So I needed a multi-band antenna.  Even at 2 meters the swr is around 1.8.  Your LMR selection will probably give better numbers in the gmrs freq. range.

3.  I think there are probably better gmrs specific antennas, but if you need multi-band and flexibility, the compactenna is excellent.   They are pricey but if your looking for a multi-band approach they are hard to beat. 

4.  whatever antenna you end up with, don't overlook the coax (I use lmr400).  gmrs frequencies can result in losses depending on quality of coax.

5.  with my setup I can hit a repeater about 50 miles away with only 5 watts.  Having said that I know of people hitting the same repeater on a hand held.  Line of site for gmrs is everything.  I have included a graph showing my site to the repeater.  Elevation is everything.   Best of luck..

caballo_575_map.png

IMG_2178.JPG

kg1000_base_1.JPG

Edited by WSAA254
Adding image of switch to sdr