Is there anyway to unlock BTech 20v2?

WSAA635

Question

Title says it all. Can this radio be unlocked?  I'll receive VHF and UHF but in it's locked state it'll only transmit on channels 1-7 and 15-22 GMRS plus the repeater channels. You can't transmit on GMRS/FRS 8-14 or any VHF channels like MURS. 

It'd be nice to be able to transmit on a wider channel range for emergency use if needed.

13 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

Title says it all. Can this radio be unlocked?  I'll receive VHF and UHF but in it's locked state it'll only transmit on channels 1-7 and 15-22 GMRS plus the repeater channels. You can't transmit on GMRS/FRS 8-14 or any VHF channels like MURS. 

It'd be nice to be able to transmit on a wider channel range for emergency use if needed.

d) 467 MHz interstitial channels. Only hand-held portable units may transmit on these 7 channels. The channel center frequencies are: 467.5625, 467.5875, 467.6125, 467.6375, 467.6625, 467.6875, and 467.7125 MHz.

You aren’t allowed to transmit on those with a mobile radio. 

2 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

Also, not to change the subject but how do I "toggle" NOAA? No where in the manual does it tell how to do this. I see the FM button for FM broadcast radio but NOTHING for NOAS Weather radio.

I know the 20v4 can be unlocked so I’d bet this one can be.  As for noaa you would need to set the frequencies into a channel.  I also ways start noaa on 100, 101,102…ect. 

I went into vfo mode and put my local NOAA channel in so when I switch to vfo I'll get NOAA. I had hopes there'd be a single button to press and hold like they have for FM radio. 

I'd bet there's someway yo unlock it, just need to figure out the key/button combo to press. Maybe someone will figure it out and post it.

I can't remember which btech radio this applied too but might try it. I sold the radio some time back. Also btech might help you out.

Hold menu while powering on radio. Enter 100.1201 for frequency. Radio responds with 136-174 on display. Enter 111.1111. Radio responds with 400-512.

39 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

The BTech GMRS v2(same basic radio as the Baofeng UV-82) can go to vfo mode by holding down the menu button when you turn on the radio but it doesn't unlock it. 

Yea.. that's what it was a uv82. And no that by its self didn't unlock it.

Most GMRS certified radios have the firmware locked down so that people cannot unlock them.

Most dual band 2m/70cm radios can be unlocked through software hacks or hardware modifications.

The issue with unlocked radios is that most go down to 5 watts and GMRS channels 8 - 14 are limited to 0.5 watts since they are in between the  GMRS repeater channels. Running at 5 watts, especially on wide band, could cause interference.

Yes I do have one GMRS certified 20 watt radio that will transmit on channels 8 - 14. But I won't transmit on those channels even on low power (5 watts) unless it is a real world emergency.

It's not a huge deal breaker since 90% of this radios use will be scanning the 4 local DPS channels when I'm driving to see what's going on with traffic on the highway. The other 10% will be when we're off-road looking for a spot to shoot so I'm good with what I've got. It would be nice to have more channels even though I'll probably never use them.