Btech GMRS Pro illegal?

I noticed that the FCC regulations for GMRS under Digital Transitions state that "The antenna must be a non-removable integral part of the GMRS unit."

Since the Btech GMRS Pro is capable of location signaling and short messages and has a detachable antenna. Doesn't this make them illegal? I hope I am reading this wrong because these are popular radios. 

I had to look through several sites, most say nothing at all about the antenna or optional antennas, but found this directly on the Baofengtech site:

• Q: Is the antenna removable?
  • A: Certification requires the stock antenna to be an integral part of the radio. The GMRS-PRO antenna is permanently glued in place and tampering with the antenna will void the radio’s warranty.

What made you think it WAS removable? I have no plans to purchase one, so no first hand experience with that model...

• 3 weeks later...

With most non-bubble pack radios, I did not really think too much about the FCC's R&Rs in regards to the non-remove able antenna claws. However, I do think that the FCC could change that rule, providing the power restrictions stay in place.

Then again, I  can't say that I don't know why FCC placed that restriction on FRS/GMRS bubble pack radios and a few single radios, because obvious the FCC doesn't want the average user to experiment and hock up to UHF FM amplifiers, Especially on FRS channels 08 through 14.

With the advancing technologies, I'm sure manufactures, such as ALINCO, BTECH KENWOOD, MIDLAND and other radio manufactures could apply for certification to include the full 22 simplex channels and keep channels 08 through 14 into mobile radios while keeping the current output of 1/2 watt.

So you have to defeat a little bit of glue.. I see what they did there ;)

The whole nod to the customers' desire to do more than what the FCC allows is nothing new.

Mars Mods are often, "hey just snip this jumper wire that for some arbitrary reason is just readily accessible to snip".... Since the CB radio times..

• "illegal"? No..
  • Not complaint with FCCs regulations? Maybe.. But, the FCCs certified the radio sooooo..
  • Does the FCCs care? According to the FCCs' lack of enforcement, No
  • Do any normal people care? No
The FCC doesn't assign the FCC ID and certify the radio. The testing labs do. The test report goes on file with the FCC.

The FCC has later gone and pulled certification on some radios that were later found to be illegal.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, jwilkers said:

The FCC doesn't assign the FCC ID and certify the radio. The testing labs do. The test report goes on file with the FCC.

I'm not sure what your overly-pedantic point is?  are you saying that the FCC IDs and certifications are meaningless and do not matter? Please clarify so we all can understand if we should ignore the FCC IDs and certifications or not.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:30 AM, OffRoaderX said:
  • "illegal"? No..
  • Not complaint with FCCs regulations? Maybe.. But, the FCCs certified the radio sooooo..
  • Does the FCCs care? According to the FCCs' lack of enforcement, No
  • Do any normal people care? No

There are several GMRS radios with removable antennas. Check out the Midland radios.

One must keep in mind that government regulations are created by people who desire control, so the actual regulation doesn’t need to make sense in practical terms.

You know, just like how the firearms laws do such a great job of reducing crime in Chicago, DC, and Oakland…..