GMRS Starting Up

GWHockley

Question

I just got my GMRS License.  My goal eventually is to work my way into Ham, but I have a lot to learn.  Thought GMRS would be a good way to get in to this as I am literally just starting out. My immediate goal is to get my immediate family (3, 6, and 10 miles away, flat suburban enviornment) set up to communicate in case cell service is down.  I have started with a couple of Bao Feng BGM-15Pro handhelds to see what service I can get from them.   There are no nearby repeaters.   Is this even doable? Should I start by going for 50W base/mobile set ups to have any reasonable prospect of success.?  Thanks. 

4 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, GWHockley said:

Is this even doable?

Nobody can answer that with any accuracy more than "maybe".. The only way to know is to try it.
If you can't reach them, then next step before base setups would be by connecting both radios to mobile-antennas on a cookie-sheet and put them in a high-up window.. This will greatly extend the fars.

Yes elevation above obstructions is your friend. If you and your contact can safely climb onto the roof of your houses with the radios as a test to see if that helps then you will know that it is possible and that a roof top or high window location for a remote antenna should work. Don't forget to hold the radios/antennas vertical for best performance.

The best advice is to read a lot of threads in this forum and start learning what works and what doesn't.  Ask a lot of questions as well. There are a lot of topics on improving range and getting the most from your installation on the net. There's so much to learn, just take it slow so you don't get overwhelmed. Again, it's all about research and not thinking any question is not worth asking. Most of all, have fun.

If you are going to do a Base setup, and I encourage that you do,  the most effective setup for what you seem to need is to have the Middle residence have the Base.  Now granted... all of you should have a base!  But that may or may not be practical in the short term.  IF the Middle location has a decent base with a good antenna, and good feed line, at or above the roof, you'll be amazed how much range 'they' will have with lesser powered HTs and mobiles.  40-50w mobiles and base stations should have no problem getting 10miles out.  Granted, terrain always dictates, so this isn't exact in every application.  An attic antenna isn't a terrible way to start with the base station either.  Even a mobile antenna on a mag mount on a pie pan or piece of sheet steel (old computer tower) up in the attic will get you increased range with the height.  The roof will inhibit the signal somewhat, but the height will gain more than the hindrance.  Be sure to get an SWR meter for this frequency range.  It's a must have for new stations and something you'll use many times down the road.  Surecom's are popular, among others.  Have fun and good luck with your setups!