TD-H3 FPP Issues - Need Help

marcspaz

Question

I am having an issue with my TD-H3 radios.  I read the manual, search the web with 3 different search engines, and no luck finding anything useful.  All 3 of them behave the same way, so I think I am doing something wrong.  Since they are getting popular for GMRS, I figured I would see if anyone else here had the same problem and resolved it.

So, short version, everything works if programmed in Chirp.  However, I can't change any offset or tone values if I attempt to set them through the FPP.

In VFO mode I cannot configure the CTCSS, DCS, Offset Direction nor Offset values; menu items 10, 11, 12, 13, 23 and 24.  When I attempt to set a value, and press the BT/menu button to confirm, the values set back to off/none/0.000/etc.

So, here is the odd part... If I use Chirp-Next to program the radio, it programs perfectly and everything works fine.  In existing memory channels that have been programmed with Chirp, I can successfully change any of those values.  BUT... if I manually save a new memory channel via FPP, I still can't manipulate any of the aforementioned menu items in the new saved item.

I have reset the radio several times.  This problem exists regardless of if the radio is in Ham, GMRS or Normal mode.  I tried enabling and disabling a bunch of other features to see if there is an impact, but nothing seems to matter.  When I am planning ahead, this isn't really an issue, but if I am out and about or have an emergency and need to program a repeater into the radio, it's just not possible with the FPP.

So, any ideas about what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Spaz

9 answers to this question

So, I just found that if I program the offset frequency and direction in the A/B Channel tab on Chip, I can then change them or enable/disable them.  I don't see any way to change the tone settings in the software to 'prime' the setting like I did with the offset.

Getting closer, but can still use some help, if anyone knows.

On 5/1/2024 at 3:23 PM, nokones said:

Never mind. I just checked and the Odmaster App does not support the H3 radio.

ODMaster App does support the TD-H3, but in "Select Model" you have to choose "TIDRADIO" not "TID" and you'll find all three versions: TD-H3 Ham, TD-H3 GMRS, and TD-H3.
My issue is if I select "Repeater" and search by frequency, it doesn't seem to go up high enough to get to the GMRS band (462 MHz) band.
Even if you "Select Model" the TD-H3 GMRS.

13 hours ago, spulley said:

My issue is if I select "Repeater" and search by frequency, it doesn't seem to go up high enough to get to the GMRS band (462 MHz) band.
Even if you "Select Model" the TD-H3 GMRS

Same issue here. Plus, you have to save them one at a time, instead of bulk imports. I suppose I can do that on Chirp, and then upload to ODM, but ot would be a nice feature. 

Hello, I'm glad I found this forum because Most of the people using the TD-H3 are using it in HAM mode.  I'm also interested to understand what's going on with the offset and Chirp. If I program in a repeater in Chirp, it seems to program OK but on the radio, it shows no offset and no direction. Is that because the offset is automatic on this radio? I do see the CTCSS tone I put in Chirp. But no + and no offset amount showing on the radio itself. 

Also to the other discussion about programming with ODmaster app.   I watched a video that said there were no GMRS repeaters added to the app to download but said hopefully the app maker might add them in the future. Any thoughts on this?  I don't have a HAM license, I do have a GMRS license.