Mobile/ base issues

I have a Radioddity DB20-G. The antenna is a UT72G Nagoya mag base and a pyramid powersupply. I am using this as a base in an apartment on the 2nd floor. I have the antenna setting on the power supply near my sliding glass door. I'm hitting the repeater, but the person on the other end says I'm very quiet. My question is, I have a baking pan but is not magnetic but it is aluminum. Will that still work as a ground plane?

Sent from my SM-A156U1 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, WSBP738 said:

I have a Radioddity DB20-G. The antenna is a UT72G Nagoya mag base and a pyramid powersupply. I am using this as a base in an apartment on the 2nd floor. I have the antenna setting on the power supply near my sliding glass door. I'm hitting the repeater, but the person on the other end says I'm very quiet. My question is, I have a baking pan but is not magnetic but it is aluminum. Will that still work as a ground plane?

Sent from my SM-A156U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, even though it is not magnetic as long as your antenna base is on it it can work as a ground plane.  
Check to make sure that the hole in the microphone is clear and speak closely to it. We had one guy that was very quiet and he discovered that the mic hole was plugged.  Putting the antenna outside could also help.

28 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

I’ve only ever seen problems with radioditty and retivis mics.  

Baofeng and TYT hand mics have the same issue with the mic hole being too small.

7 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

Baofeng and TYT hand mics have the same issue with the mic hole being too small.

Not in my experience.  I have several boofwang and tyt radios in the trucks. None of them have these issues. The Tyts do especially well on signal reports.  I think 1/2 the time people need to just speak up.  I’ve used radios all my life.  Some very expensive professional radios and some extremely cheap junkers that make uv5s look really nice.   The biggest thing I’ve always had to tell people is speak up. 

While the TYT hand mics for their mobile radios are fine, their hand held mics are a different story. I have an Explorer QRZ-1 with hand mic that is nothing but a TYT UV88 with custom firmware. And the two hand held Baofeng hand mics I have aren't any better. I had to open up the mic hole on all three hand mics. 

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

It's weird how some people will whisper on the radio. As if they don't way anyone to hear them. 🤔

Oh, when it comes to DMR, I WISH all radio operators would whisper. When it comes to analog, unless you have a radio like mine that is hot on the audio, There is no need to whisper. On the same note, you dont need to jam the mic down your throat and scream like you are on CB radio.