Which antenna design should I go with for 2 repeaters I have?

WRTA578

14 answers to this question

You could save a crap-ton of money and get one of these: https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/462-mhz-land-mobile-gmrs-j-pole-antenna/

It's what i use for my small 2 watt repeater attached to LMR-400 coax. At a measly 30 feet at 2 watts with 2-3db gain, it does 5-15 miles in town with tons of crap in the way. I am in a horrible spot honestly. At 60 feet i could probably double my range. Best $30 i ever spent.

I bought that Commscope DB404b and wish that I hadn't. I just thought  "it's expensive, so it MUST be good". Was a waste of money. I went with a Comet 712efc instead and it performs much better than that db404 

Using an Icom IC-FR4000 repeater, TX/RX Systems 28-70-09 duplexer (pretty much the same as the one you listed, but older) and 1/2" hardline

On 5/8/2024 at 10:05 AM, WRTA578 said:

This is the duplexer I am ordering and of course using 1/2 Heliax cable and the actual repeaters are Kenwood TKR-851K units

UHF Duplexers.pdf 931.63 kB · 5 downloads

Grab this duplexer on eBay. It's brand new and the seller is great. I have tuned one of these for a local GMRS repeater owner and it's a high quality duplexer that meets or exceeds advertised specs. Plus, the price is good too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166729055740?

15 hours ago, warthog74 said:

You could save a crap-ton of money and get one of these: https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/462-mhz-land-mobile-gmrs-j-pole-antenna/

It's what i use for my small 2 watt repeater attached to LMR-400 coax. At a measly 30 feet at 2 watts with 2-3db gain, it does 5-15 miles in town with tons of crap in the way. I am in a horrible spot honestly. At 60 feet i could probably double my range. Best $30 i ever spent.

He's looking for something that is of commercial quality. Saving a "crap-ton of money" to buy crap isn't really a savings, nor is it smart.

4 hours ago, tcp2525 said:

He's looking for something that is of commercial quality. Saving a "crap-ton of money" to buy crap isn't really a savings, nor is it smart.

Just because it has a "brand name" and costs $600 doesn't automatically make it commercial quality, or good. J-poles have been used for decades and are proven to be reliable and good performers. Go ahead, spend $600 on something that probably wont work any better than a "crap" $30 J-pole. Not my money. 

1 hour ago, warthog74 said:

Just because it has a "brand name" and costs $600 doesn't automatically make it commercial quality, or good. J-poles have been used for decades and are proven to be reliable and good performers. Go ahead, spend $600 on something that probably wont work any better than a "crap" $30 J-pole. Not my money. 

Why spend $30 to make a J-Pole when one can be made from scraps? I've made many antennas over the years and have been happy with the results, but I sure as hell won't put that on top of my tower. As another poster mentioned, the Comet 712EFC is a highly recommend antenna with good gain and is well built for a consumer grade antenna.  The OP is planning on spending some coin to do it right because, I'm assuming he wants it to work great the first time and not have to climb a tower annually to deal with corrosion issues from an antenna that was slapped together from a person that you don't know their fabrication skills. If he's on a tight budget, get the comet, which is only $150 delivered. On a side note, I tried a Comet and got a dud, which I sent back. I will buy another this fall.

Fair enough. You do you. I'll do me. Just giving the OP another option so that he isn't disappointed when that $600 antenna might not perform as well as he'd expect.

You can also clear coat a j-pole to minimize corrosion without affecting it's swr/range. I'll take that vs fiberglass that splinters and cracks, or crappy wire antennas encased in PVC. 

As for the j-pole I linked... Not slapped together. Thousands sold, no bad reviews. I'm not a hired sales person, but his j-poles and n9tax's Slim Jim's are well built and perform very well. I own many of both and they outperform dozens of other antennas I've used over the last 35 years. Even my old steel 102" whip still outperforms Antron 99's and the like on 10/11 meter. Some things just work, and I've never had a "dud". 

I appreciate all the input here on this subject ...   my main concern was if stacked or the side by side version was better? one would assume that the side by side may be more efficient of a radiating pattern but i do not know...  I had considered many options and I have and are using a Fiberglass antenna at one location it is by far not crap...  but I know it is not optimal but was what was in budget 1 year ago..  now that I have help and others wanting to help and contribute I want to move forward to something better....  with a total of 5 repeaters I own all TKR-851's I want to try and fill the gap around NE Iowa and NW Illinois... As for the duplexers the other gentleman pointed me to on Ebay...  I sent a message but they are listed at 3Mhz split and while it is a savings will they be as good as TXRX? waiting on his reply if he can tune them and maybe discount if I purchase 5 then it is an option.