SWR

WSBZ498

Question

connected to a thru hole NMO Pulse Larsen mount, I sanded down the paint on underside of ceiling of truck. Have a comet 2x4srnmo antenna. I’m getting a 1.65 swr. I know it’s nothing to worry about, trying to pin point how to get a lower number. Any help would be appreciated! 

Also I did run the power wire to the positive side of battery, and negative to a negative ground of the chassis

11 answers to this question

I wouldn't worry about 1.65 SWR. I run a Comet 2x4SR and the SWR on 462 MHz is 1.2 and 1.7 on 467 MHz. The SWR is also very good for 2m and 70cm.

Are you going to use the radio and antenna for 2m and 70cm?

If so, then check the SWR for 2m and 70cm before making any changes to the antenna.

Also you need to know where the antenna is most resonant before making any changes. This will require using an antenna analyzer.

13 hours ago, WSBZ498 said:

Is this something I honestly shouldn’t worry about lol. Btw you were up there with mesa crest yesterday. I was gonna come up there but I had other plans. Wish I could of made it out 

If you're worried about having good numbers and it turns into an insatiable obsession, just screw a dummy load on the mount and drool at those numbers. It's all about performance. If you can talk reliably, you got it good. Don't sweat it. 

14 hours ago, WSBZ498 said:

connected to a thru hole NMO Pulse Larsen mount, I sanded down the paint on underside of ceiling of truck. Have a comet 2x4srnmo antenna. I’m getting a 1.65 swr. I know it’s nothing to worry about, trying to pin point how to get a lower number. Any help would be appreciated! 

Also I did run the power wire to the positive side of battery, and negative to a negative ground of the chassis

Your in business.  Go with it.   SWR can be affected by so many things.  I swear I have seen a flea fart and change SWR.  best of luck

1 hour ago, WSAM454 said:

Your Comet antenna is advertised as wide-banded, to cover GMRS and Ham frequencies, so somewhere, on some frequency,  it may have a lower SWR, but as has been said, 1.6 is certainly not a problem.

Anything under 2.0 is fine.

Even with a SWR of 1.8 on 467.600, I still get great signal reports with the Comet 2x4SR hooked to my Wouxun KG-XS20G radio. The repeater is 21.5 miles away from my house. 

The SWR is 1.2 at 462.600 and 1.5 or less on the 2m and 70cm bands when using my 20 watt TYT TH-8600. Both radios and antenna are on my SxS.

1:65 is fine.

Even if you spend the whole afternoon testing and trimming,  and get it to 1:1,.....you will never notice any difference. 

If it's over a 2:1,  . . . that's when you start working on it.