It's been asked before but I'll ask again. Good 20w mobile with....

On 6/27/2024 at 9:24 PM, WRYC373 said:

The AT-779UV is the same as the DB20G but with a part97 cert instead of the Part 95.

Both come certified for GMRS.

On 6/28/2024 at 7:52 AM, amaff said:

I keep seeing people report this but I keep checking mine and it doesn't do that. Are you always using it on High output? Most of the time I run at low or at most medium (because 99% of the time it's for simplex, car-to-car type stuff) unless I'm struggling to talk to someone, and even during extended conversations it only ever just gets warm to the touch. If it got *hot* it'd probably be a problem for where I have it mounted, but I keep checking it waiting for it to happen and it just hasn't.

Yes, if you primarily use Medium and Low Power, yours will be OK as mounted. High power will a high transmit duty cycle and you are in trouble.

I have 4 of the Radioddity DB-25G's.  I really like them a lot and they have cig-lighter plugs.  This, the ability to monitor 4 channels, and listen to HAM vhf/uhf are the reasons they are packed in a Apache box in each of the family cars along with a Nagoya UT-72G mag-mount.  They are great radios and I have used one as a base at times as well. Plus, they are only 89.99 on Amazon right now with coupons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09C7JBBVY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2024 at 7:30 AM, WRXB215 said:

I use the AT-778UV daily. It gets hot but apparently not too hot for the radio. If I ever get time, I'm going to pull the fan out of an old laptop and mount it on the heatsink just for good measure.

Thread resurrection.. Does anyone know or have a bulletin in adding a cooling fan in this radio? Anytone AT-778UV

Thanks,

While I have the AT-779UV, which is a completely different radio than their AT-778UV, my understanding is that neither radio has an official fan "add-on" available through Anytone.  

My experience with the 779UV for many years of high duty cycle "yakking" is that, yes, it is very hot to the touch, but their has been no denigration in its service and capabilities.

2 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

Leave the power on Medium instead of High.  I led a Net last night with me talking at least 50-60% of the time and it was just warm.

100% this. Unless you're having trouble getting through (and even then, the few extra watts maybe will / maybe won't make the difference), there's no need to have it on maximum chooch.

• 4 weeks later...

Doesn't ship with cigarette lighter, will have to connect your own (seems more complicated than it is, once you do it you'll realize it wasn't that bad), but this is a good performing radio and great antenna.  Lacks programming features if you run a lot of different repeaters, and their privacy tone code set up is odd (they use their own numbering system, you need the chart to figure out what is what).  But if you're only running one local repeater per channel and don't change often, the quality and performance are tough to beat.  You can also get their ghost antenna which is only about 6 inches tall or so and still does well, letting you in and out of garage if you have one.

Just look for discount codes, it's a little pricey.

**edit to add, this radio is easily hidden out of sight when in sketchy area.  Also look into Lido brand mic mount that clips onto your vent.  Nothing permanent needed for this radio, antenna, mic hanger set up.  Everything can be added and removed in a minute or two.

https://midlandusa.com/collections/micromobile/products/mxt275whip-extended-range-bundle