Off-road use only

Guest grumpy jeeper

Guest grumpy jeeper

Situation: Been using CB's since the 70's for offroading but it seems the cool kids are using GMRS (or HAM, don't get me going) now days. I wheel with some groups that use CB and it is still the go-to for some clubs so my mobile rig (CB) will stay for now but I do need to pick up a good handheld. 

My preference is "less is more", bells and whistles are not for me. I prefer good quality and being resistant to rain and dust are a must. The radio will be used for off-roading exclusively. I am not a big fan of Midland or Rugged and would like to avoid them if possible.

Suggestions please, thanks! 

Boofwang uv9g for $25 is what we use for all our hand held needs.  I can confirm on many occasions they are water proof. We use them for work and play. On horses quads dirt bikes hiking emergency animal evac ect.   I have never broken one.  I have lost several and had many grow legs and walk away but never damaged one. They have been dropped in the mud, snow, streams, sand and dust.  Even run over with quads.   The battery’s last a 12hr day for us and they have usb charging. They transmit and receive the exact same as my wouxons and Motorola professional radios.  Face or chirp (computer) programable.  And I can read the screen out side in the sun unlike many “better” radios.  All of ours have the 771 antennas and do 20-30miles in n the valley we live in.  

2 hours ago, Guest grumpy jeeper said:

Situation: Been using CB's since the 70's for offroading but it seems the cool kids are using GMRS (or HAM, don't get me going) now days. I wheel with some groups that use CB and it is still the go-to for some clubs so my mobile rig (CB) will stay for now but I do need to pick up a good handheld. 

My preference is "less is more", bells and whistles are not for me. I prefer good quality and being resistant to rain and dust are a must. The radio will be used for off-roading exclusively. I am not a big fan of Midland or Rugged and would like to avoid them if possible.

Suggestions please, thanks! 

I would stay away from and don't spend your money on the CCR POS junk, and take a look at some of the Kenwoods and Motorolas that are offered for sale from several reputable used radio dealers that sell on eBay. There prices are very reasonable and there are various models that should meet your needs and last a long time.

Also, I have both a Cobra 25 LTD Classic CB and a Motorola XTL5000 Remote setups in my 23 Wrangler Rubi 2 Dr.

20240704_133019.thumb.jpg.daf96e659d51e7fb545af8d6426ff1d7.jpg

20240131_094019.thumb.jpg.c84a181ea1b72b9aeab53a4365ba3381.jpg

There is no real difference between the radio brands. Yes, commercial and public safety models generally have better specifications but that is reflected in the price. System on a Chip (SOC) radios work perfectly for general hobby/personal use. Personally, I think the Motorola, Kenwood and other "top-tier" radios are all way overpriced and for personal use. I recommend some of the Tytera, TYT, Wouxon and other brands as being perfectly usable for general use. 5 W output is 5 W whether it comes from a Moto or BaoFeng.

40 minutes ago, BoxCar said:

There is no real difference between the radio brands. Yes, commercial and public safety models generally have better specifications but that is reflected in the price. System on a Chip (SOC) radios work perfectly for general hobby/personal use. Personally, I think the Motorola, Kenwood and other "top-tier" radios are all way overpriced and for personal use. I recommend some of the Tytera, TYT, Wouxon and other brands as being perfectly usable for general use. 5 W output is 5 W whether it comes from a Moto or BaoFeng.

Yup this.  I own radios from $20 to $5000 the more expensive one were givin to me in one way or anther. Unlike most people i use them each and every day all day long 7 days a week to make a living and keep my family safe. My $25 hand heads do 20, 30, 40 and even 50 miles.   My $125 20w truck radios do 75miles and my home base 20w does 200miles. Why should any one spend $500-$1000 or more on a radio to do exactly what a $25 or $150 radios does.     Guess what.   Per a given wattage they ALL transmit the exact same.  Actually many times i get better signal reports from a Boofwang uv9 then a wouxon uv9g or a motor xts5000.      The only radio i have ever melted was an xtl5000 radio. plus most “professional” radios use proprietary software that takes a huge learning curve and cost big money and dosnt work on newer computers.         For the average person “CCR” radios work just fine.   This is similar to the $100,000 jeep that gets pasted by the stock 1940s ww2 GP “jeeps” in Moab.  I’ve seen it a million times.  And it’s always amusing.   Or the guys that drive around my neighborhood in 4low with 40s and i drive past them in 2wd in a f350.   It’s all how you use it.    

Sounds like the new Rocky Talkie 5w would be ideal for you.

As for the debate on “cheap Chinese radios” - I think they work great for some folks and it’s how I started in GMRS. Lots of features and they get the job done for relatively little money.

Being someone who likes the feel of quality gear, I moved to Icom for my mobile & HT, while my son got the Midland stuff.

Guest grumpy jeeper
17 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

It’s all how you use it.    

I hear ya... my stuff gets used🙃  

I'm googling and reading up a bunch and really appreciate the feedback. From what I am seeing most purpose built GMRS radios will come ready to go (Wouxun KG-905G, UV-9G ect.) Not really all that much different when compared to CB. Repurposed commercial radios seem like they could work too but that is an area I have no clue about. Though it looks like CHIRP programming is pretty straight forward if one were to source a radio that is compatible with the software. 

spacer.png

For handheld you can't beat the Motorola T600 series. I carry a pack in both jeeps and never had an issue with them. Drive over them, dropped in mud puddles and bounced around in the back. I use the handheld more than my mobile when off road. They are pretty cheap and dont require a license