Best GMRS transceiver

Guest Masa

Guest Masa

I am one of beginner of GMRS. Please recommend several excellent transceiver.

My use is not for family communication. Just looking for communication with someone who has GMRS transceiver.

4 hours ago, Guest Masa said:

My use is not for family communication. Just looking for communication with someone who has GMRS transceiver.

It depends on what you expect. As you are just starting, a handheld radio provides a decent start. Your biggest hurdle is learning the terms sed and what they mean and apply to your situation. As you obviously have no experience or background in radio, start with an inexpensive unit. I would keep the cost less than $40 for your first unit. Read the manual that comes with it and spend time on Youtube with the tutorials and reviews. After you have played with the radio for a couple months and know its functions and features well, you might be ready to upgrade to a unit with higher cost and features. Don't get caught up in wanting bigger, better higher power unis until you know what you have and how to use it.

Since you state that you are looking for people to talk to, you need to research your area, by checking with local radio clubs; recreational groups that you might be interested in; and sources such as the repeater map on this site, in order to determine first if there IS anyone in the area to talk with, and if so, what type of equipment is needed to communicate with them...GMRS, HAM, or others? The saturation of potential contacts varies a tremendous amount depending on where, pretty specifically, you will be operating from.

6 hours ago, WRQI663 said:

I would go anywhere else than yoooo toooobe for info or should I say misinfo

Using YouTube for information does require a minimum amount of critical thinking, a small amount of reading-skill, and a bit of an attention span, so "some people" do have difficulty with it such as you are reporting.

58 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Using YouTube for information does require a minimum amount of critical thinking, a small amount of reading-skill, and a bit of an attention span, so "some people" do have difficulty with it such as you are reporting.

Yup, others use Grindrr

I would agree with others that GMRS is not great for finding people to chat with.  If you want radio for that, CB and Ham radio would be much better.  Outside of metro areas, GMRS users are far and few between and even in metro areas, you will have a bunch or people lurking, but unless someone knows you, they probably won't respond.

Also, "the best" is so incredibly subjective.  You need to define what "the best" would be fore you, including upper and lower budget, features desired, is space or weather-proofing a concern, etc.  Then we can recommend brands on models based on your goals and limiting factors.

On 7/20/2024 at 10:32 AM, Guest Masa said:

My first GMRS HT was a Baofeng UV-9G.  Not stellar, but the price was right and the radio is decent while I was learning.  After I spent some time with it and learning not just its features but GMRS practice/theory/etc., I bought a Wouxun KV-935G Plus and have been very happy with that.

As others have said, if you are looking to just have conversations with folks you don't know, that is more of a H.A.M. thing.  However, if you will make or already have associates using GMRS, then have at it and enjoy!

46 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

In-and-Out.

I do like In N Out, we go there about once a week, but I must say, I tried The Habit last week that was a darn good burger that rivaled In N Out. It's also more expensive. So there is that.

On 7/20/2024 at 12:32 PM, Guest Masa said:

If all you want to do is talk to someone I suggest you start here.  This is probably the worst GMRS radio on the planet, but at $11 each it's money well spent for someone who wants to dip their toe in the water.  If you mean "excellent" regardless of cost you'll probably end up with a Wouxun or similar.

If you just want to buy one radio once I'd recommend the Baofeng GM-15 Pro.  It's my everyday go to radio.

As noted above, it's a long list.

51 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

I do like In N Out, we go there about once a week, but I must say, I tried The Habit last week that was a darn good burger that rivaled In N Out. It's also more expensive. So there is that.

In N Out hands down....  You can damn near get 3 In N Out burgers for the price of a single Habit.  

Guest Masa

Thank you for everybody. I am long time Ham operator and interested in GMRS. I live in NY state (Westchester county). So like Ham radio 144/430 MHz, I may speak with someone. But your recommendation is to use in some hobby group/family etc., right?

• 2 weeks later...

On topic:

You have to discover this for yourself - What I like, you may not - bell's and whistle's all seem to be the same in all of em.

Off topic:

Bill's Place in San Francisco has the best hamburgers I've ever had.

Off the wall:

What the heck does "H.A.M." stand for ???? Amateur radio ops are called "hams" (so are actors) so how about telling me what it means

even if it's demeaning - 6 keystrokes for a 3 letter word?

If you use the word 'sad' I will send gremlins to get ya.

5 minutes ago, WRQI663 said:

On topic:

You have to discover this for yourself - What I like, you may not - bell's and whistle's all seem to be the same in all of em.

Off topic:

Bill's Place in San Francisco has the best hamburgers I've ever had.

Off the wall:

What the heck does "H.A.M." stand for ???? Amateur radio ops are called "hams" (so are actors) so how about telling me what it means

even if it's demeaning - 6 keystrokes for a 3 letter word?

If you use the word 'sad' I will send gremlins to get ya.

There have been a few different attempts to explain the beginnings of the word “ham” as associated with amateur radio operators.  The most believable one in my opinion is that professional telegraph operators disdained the poor Morse Code sending skills of early amateur radio operators and referred to them as “ham fisted” which became “hams”.

I believe the use of “H.A.M.” happened because Randy noticed how hams get wound up when people unknowingly capitalize all three characters of the word ham as if it’s an acronym and he couldn’t resist twisting the waistband on their panties a little tighter.  I think it’s funny that so many take the bait. 

29 minutes ago, WRQI663 said:

What the heck does "H.A.M." stand for ????

It's bait put on a hook to attract folks who come unhinged when they see it. They'll argue endlessly with the person who posted it. That person will no doubt be laughing hysterically because they've lured in yet another unsuspecting amateur radio operator. 

41 minutes ago, SteveShannon said:

There have been a few different attempts to explain the beginnings of the word “ham” as associated with amateur radio operators.  The most believable one in my opinion is that professional telegraph operators disdained the poor Morse Code sending skills of early amateur radio operators and referred to them as “ham fisted” which became “hams”.

I believe the use of “H.A.M.” happened because Randy noticed how hams get wound up when people unknowingly capitalize all three characters of the word ham as if it’s an acronym and he couldn’t resist twisting the waistband on their panties a little tighter.  I think it’s funny that so many take the bait. 

This is also my favorite origin story as it makes a lot of sense when you think about it.