Vehicle Mobile Antennae and Components For A Handheld

I have been thinking about getting a vehicle antennae that I could plug my Baofeng UV-5G Plus handheld into while driving.  However, I have no idea what all the components would be to do this.  Obviously, an antennae, antennae mount, cable, possibly an amplifier and then some type of adapter to go from the coax to the handheld radio.

Anybody have suggestions like on models / products?

Greatly appreciate the help!

Follow Up To Initial Topic

I greatly appreciate all the information gang!

The UT-72G with the magnetic mount with the adapters looks like a great way to go.

I potentially have a problem with the magnetic mount.  Ford seems to have fallen in love with aluminum on their trucks so may run into a problem as to where or how to mount the antennae.

Please have a look at this alternative and let me know if this is a viable option:

Amazon.com: Retevis GMRS Mobile Antenna, Heavy Duty Fiberglass GMRS Antenna, 6.5dB 462-467MHz,Mount Bracket,Spring Base with 16ft RG-58U Coaxial Cable,Compatible with Midland GMRS Radio Retevis RT97 RA86,43.3inch : Electronics

Amazon.com: exgoofit UHF Female to SMA Male Female Adapter Pack-2Pcs Handheld Antenna Cable 6'' PL259 SO239 Connector for Amplifier, CB Radio Handheld Walkie Talkie Extension : Electronics

Again.  I greatly appreciate the help and input!

Edited by WSEH456
Update of Information

I'm not the smartest person on here. It took me a while to figure it out myself. I have a Radioddity GM-30 and used a SMA male to UHF female. The SMA end consists to your radio. Yours might take a female? I used a Nagoya lip mount on my driver side rear door with a Motorola 3db ghost antenna, both of which I got off of Amazon. 

There are cheap foreign made amps that cost WAY less than a GOOD mobile unit. But I agree that the UT-72 by itself is the absolute best investment in this scheme. I advise against the amp regardless of its price.  The relatively minor increase in clarity of signal to those you transmit to will be of no really use.

I will agree with everyone, get a good antenna along with the adaptor to go from the antenna coax to the radio will be fine. A lot of people have ran that way for a mobile setup without issues. Yes your range won't be quite as good with a 5 watt radio versus a 50 watt radio, but you will still get out just fine. A lot of times I don't even run my 50 watt dual band and 50 watt GMRS radios on high power. 

I also would not worry about getting an amp for a hand held radio either. Put the money towards a mobile radio of your choice instead. Yes having a 50 watt radio is nice when you need the extra power but a 20-25 watt radio will suit your needs most of the time.

9 minutes ago, WRYZ926 said:

A lot of times I don't even run my 50 watt dual band and 50 watt GMRS radios on high power. 

This ^

My AR-5RM (max 10w) is set to 5w so that I don't drain the battery. If I need extra power, I know where the menu option is for that.

My Retevis RA-87 (max 40w) is set to its Mid mode, which is about 25w because it sounds fine that way when I hit repeaters. And again, if I find that I need more power, I know where the menu option is. :)

The frequency that we use for family simplex while skiing/camping/etc. I have programmed into my radios at a low, mid, and high setting so that I can just switch the channel quickly to step up the power if needed.

I bought a Diamond lip mount and a Comet antenna for my car and the cable was long enough to route up to my 10w ht.  Works just fine.

I do have a 50w mobile unit but I'm waiting for the weather to cool off before running power cables.  But for now the 10w ht with antenna does the job.

17 hours ago, WSEH456 said:

I have been thinking about getting a vehicle antennae that I could plug my Baofeng UV-5G Plus handheld into while driving.  However, I have no idea what all the components would be to do this.  Obviously, an antennae, antennae mount, cable, possibly an amplifier and then some type of adapter to go from the coax to the handheld radio.

Anybody have suggestions like on models / products?

Greatly appreciate the help!

I don't recall 100%, but I think when I bought my UT-72G, it came with an adapter to connect my handheld.

11 minutes ago, back4more70 said:

I don't recall 100%, but I think when I bought my UT-72G, it came with an adapter to connect my handheld.

My UT-72 came with one but I didn't use it because I have a mobile. The adapter is a thin cable. Not long enough to worry about loss but being flexible eases some of the strain on the SMA of the radio.

Thank you everyone for all the great advice!  I would like to get a permanent mobile unit in the near future for the truck but, was looking for a cheap alternative to play with in the mean time.

I live near Roanoke, TX (actually more near Texas Motor Speedway) and there is a repeater tower in Denton, TX (Denton 600) with a stated radius of 60 miles.  I am approximately 20 miles away.  It has been hit or miss whether I can get someone to respond to a radio check with the 18" antennae.  Granted there are hills, houses, etc.... between me and the tower so, I expect it to be difficult.  The other Denton, TX repeater (Denton County 550) I have yet to get anyone at all to respond back and yes, I have the right tone.

I feel like Robin Williams in RV trying to get a signal, LOL!!!!  Ironically, we are full time RV'ers so it really hits home!

I have your radio and plug it into the UT-72G others have recommended.  The combination works well.  The antenna kit can be had here and has all the components you need. When you move to a full-size mobile unit you can use the same antenna without the SMA adapter.

Edited for truthiness. (See below.)

5 minutes ago, GreggInFL said:

When you move to a full-size mobile unit you can use the same antenna with one of these adapters.

With that "kit" he will not need another adapter for a mobile. All he will have to do is remove the SMA adapter being used for the HT. The cable already has a PL-259 which is why it comes with the SMA adapter for HT in the first place.

1 minute ago, WRXB215 said:

With that "kit" he will not need another adapter for a mobile. All he will have to do is remove the SMA adapter being used for the HT. The cable already has a PL-259 which is why it comes with the SMA adapter for HT in the first place.

Excellent point, sir.  I stand corrected.  Thank you.