Alinco DR 365T

Ezekiel

What do any of you know about the Alinco DR 365T being both 2 meter ham and also being part 95/97 compliant with 85 watts?

are you aware if it is legal that we use it for GMRS and HAM?  I would like to pick one up but I'm starting to get tight on space in my vehicle and am looking for a good (not great) radio to install and be able to use on a local repeater. my Midland is not repeater capable. 

Thank you. 

... if it is legal that we use it for GMRS and HAM?...

Missed this earlier. By definition NO radio certified for GMRS can be used on the ham bands as sold. Perhaps it could be modified, but that would void its GMRS certification. As for the reverse, any radio that can operate on the ham bands, which is pretty much anything built since spark gap ratios were retired, would be illegal to operate on GMRS. Simply because it could operate on non-GMRS frequencies.

I am fairly confident there is no radio made that can legally operate on GMRS and any band other than FRS, and then only if the antenna cannot be removed.

I thought in those cases, you could not legally the radio on both services at the same time -- you'd need to turn the radio off and then on again (while holding some button or knob) to change the mode. But, I'd be glad to be wrong. If there is a simultaneous part 90 & part 95(a, b or c) [and maybe the ham bands] radio out there could you post the make/model.

There are too many to list and no special on/off switching needed. The Motorola M1225 is an example. Our GMRS repeater consists of two M1225 radios.

In any event, my initial question was for the OP as I needed clarification on the model number that the person was asking about.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gmrs-frs/275040-part-95-gmrs-radio-list.html

Missed this earlier. By definition NO radio certified for GMRS can be used on the ham bands as sold. Perhaps it could be modified, but that would void its GMRS certification. As for the reverse, any radio that can operate on the ham bands, which is pretty much anything built since spark gap ratios were retired, would be illegal to operate on GMRS. Simply because it could operate on non-GMRS frequencies.

I am fairly confident there is no radio made that can legally operate on GMRS and any band other than FRS, and then only if the antenna cannot be removed.

You have GMRS and FRS confused. FRS has the limitations on non-removeable antenna, etc. GMRS has no such limitations except those listed in 95a and 95e.

95b and the applicable sections of 95e contain the FRS info.

Nowhere in 95 is a GMRS type accepted radio radio prohibited from transmitting on 97 frequencies. In fact, radios used in 97 have no required type acceptance except for those sold commercially have to be Part 15.

If you reverse GMRS and FRS in your last sentence, you would then be correct.

@hans what are you using for a repeater controller?  Our Boy Scout troop is wanting to set up a repeater for use on our longer-distance campouts.

No controller is needed. A very simple repeater can be made just using the ACCY connectors on the back of some Motorola radios. There is no courtesy beep, ID, or delay but it works great.

well that went fast..

I may be a little bit miss quoting.   I believe that it is the DR-635T  I was watching about GMRS radios on YouTube.  (we all know how accurate that is)  and wanted advice from those that actually use the radios.

I will re watch them and get back to you...    i am looking for a good radio that is reasonably inexpensive that works on both as I have just gotten my Tech Ticket. 

I will be back soon. 

well that went fast..

I may be a little bit miss quoting. I believe that it is the DR-635T I was watching about GMRS radios on YouTube. (we all know how accurate that is) and wanted advice from those that actually use the radios.

I will re watch them and get back to you... i am looking for a good radio that is reasonably inexpensive that works on both as I have just gotten my Tech Ticket.

I will be back soon.

The DR-635T does not have a grant for part 90 or part 95. It has been granted part 15 (for legal importation). Any equipment, even homebrew, can be used in amateur operations as long as it performs to technical specifications of the frequency used.

The DR-635 is locked to 2m and 70cm amateur bands and will not transmit outside those frequencies without simple modification. It can transmit at a 50 watts on VHF and 35 watts UHF in those bands. Wattage is not specified outside 2m and 70cm.

IMHO, the DR-735 is a superior radio but it also is not part 90 or part 95 granted. The DR-638 is part 90 but not part 95.

Hope this helps. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the input, yes it makes much more sense now that you have worked it out for me.  I have just received my Armature Ticket and am awaiting my Call Sign.  I may invest in one of these radios for that function.  I will still be looking to purchase a good radio for the GMRS side of things so that I may be able to play a little with that as well.

again thank you everyone this forum is always interesting and a learning experience.  

On a side note the radio that I want get would be under the $200 range.  and at least 25w.  what would you recommend?

I found the Zastonete radio for $229 on amazon.

I was also looking at the QYT KT-8900D seems to be a semi solid product for $95.00  for a decent starter radio.  Would this be an item that could work.  I also do not see where it is licensed for Part 95.  which is partly a concern for me. 

Do any of you have an opinion on the QYT products?

Meh. I've done just about all of the reviews of products for our radio group here and, with a few exceptions, the really bargain-basement Chinese radios are no fun in the long run. I have a few CCRs (cheap Chinese radio) and some not-so-cheap CRs. In fact, since Alinco has partnered with Anytone, most of the radios I have sitting around here are of Chinese origin. The bottom line is if you can afford better, buy better. If $95 for that particular radio is all you can do right now, it'll probably do you well in the short-term. However, at the end of the day you might find yourself counting up the hundred dollars here and there you spent on CCRs and realize that you could have spent that on a not-so-cheap CR or other radio and been better off.

As far as the part 95 stuff, yeah, that's a tough thing to juggle.

I'm sure there's a lot of other experienced opinions out there. Hopefully some more will throw in with their experiences and advice.

Well i guess that I will be looking at a little bit more for a radio,  I really don't want to buy a CR and have to buy one in a year that would be pointless.  If I spend the money on a radio that will last i guess it would make better sense than the alternative. 

I am assuming that Motorola and the like are the better option?  I would love an ICOM however we all know that they are also a pain on the pocket. 

in the long run i can see where everyone is leaning,  you get what you pay for.

Thank you for the input and I will be waiting to hear from the others.