#22 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYJ688

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

I found the Zastonete radio for $229 on amazon.

I was also looking at the QYT KT-8900D seems to be a semi solid product for $95.00  for a decent starter radio.  Would this be an item that could work.  I also do not see where it is licensed for Part 95.  which is partly a concern for me. 

Do any of you have an opinion on the QYT products?

#23 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationTrapped in Yankee territory
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:39 PM

Meh. I've done just about all of the reviews of products for our radio group here and, with a few exceptions, the really bargain-basement Chinese radios are no fun in the long run. I have a few CCRs (cheap Chinese radio) and some not-so-cheap CRs. In fact, since Alinco has partnered with Anytone, most of the radios I have sitting around here are of Chinese origin. The bottom line is if you can afford better, buy better. If $95 for that particular radio is all you can do right now, it'll probably do you well in the short-term. However, at the end of the day you might find yourself counting up the hundred dollars here and there you spent on CCRs and realize that you could have spent that on a not-so-cheap CR or other radio and been better off.

As far as the part 95 stuff, yeah, that's a tough thing to juggle.

I'm sure there's a lot of other experienced opinions out there. Hopefully some more will throw in with their experiences and advice.
  • Ezekiel likes this

#24 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYJ688

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:02 AM

Well i guess that I will be looking at a little bit more for a radio,  I really don't want to buy a CR and have to buy one in a year that would be pointless.  If I spend the money on a radio that will last i guess it would make better sense than the alternative. 

I am assuming that Motorola and the like are the better option?  I would love an ICOM however we all know that they are also a pain on the pocket. 

in the long run i can see where everyone is leaning,  you get what you pay for.

Thank you for the input and I will be waiting to hear from the others.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users